iphone: wifi isnt working but is connected

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
so my wifi still isnt working, it says its connected (i have verizon fios with the BIG router they gave us built by Actiontec), instead all i see is the AT&T bars with the E for edge, but the airport symbol isnt there, and its definitly running on edge cause its slower than it would be on wifi

how do i get the wifi to over ride the edge system..someone please help haha i wanna get this figured out

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    riptideriptide Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebaydan777 View Post

so my wifi still isnt working, it says its connected (i have verizon fios with the BIG router they gave us built by Actiontec), instead all i see is the AT&T bars with the E for edge, but the airport symbol isnt there, and its definitly running on edge cause its slower than it would be on wifi

how do i get the wifi to over ride the edge system..someone please help haha i wanna get this figured out

I have exactly the same problem. Wi-F is connected and enabled, WEP password has been accepted but all browsing is taking place via Edge.

On occassion, I see the Wi-Fi Airport signal strength indicator on the the top left side, and its full strenght, but as soon as I begin to browse, the "E" appears and I am browsing on Edge.

I turned Airport mode on/off and also turning phone off.

It still doesn't work!!
  • Reply 2 of 10
    ebaydan777ebaydan777 Posts: 269member
    ya and i just was looking at the wifi info when u go to the wifi settings and hit the blue arrow next to it, nothing is filled out besides ip address and subnet mask =/
  • Reply 3 of 10
    notoriousnotorious Posts: 57member
    Not sure if this helps but I have mine connected and working beautifully over a new airport extreme base station. Maybe the trouble is the router? Any info I can give you from my phone that would help?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mjn138mjn138 Posts: 2member
    I had the same problem when I first setup my iPhone on Friday. It looked like it was connected, but it actually wasn't showing a valid IP address. First, check the settings on your iPhone (Go to Settings/Wifi/then click the arrow for your network to see that you are getting a real IP address--192.168...etc...).

The problem with my setup was that the password on my router was a hexadecimal password. I didn't realize this because when I connect with my mac, I don't have to specify that it is hexadecimal. I clicked the Forget this Network button, and then rejoined the network, this time choosing WEP Hexadecimal as the option.

Let me know if this works for you guys.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

I have exactly the same problem. Wi-F is connected and enabled, WEP password has been accepted but all browsing is taking place via Edge.

On occassion, I see the Wi-Fi Airport signal strength indicator on the the top left side, and its full strenght, but as soon as I begin to browse, the "E" appears and I am browsing on Edge.

I turned Airport mode on/off and also turning phone off.

It still doesn't work!!

• Reply 5 of 10
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    unprotect your network for a few minutes and see what happens.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    riptideriptide Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjn138 View Post

I had the same problem when I first setup my iPhone on Friday. It looked like it was connected, but it actually wasn't showing a valid IP address. First, check the settings on your iPhone (Go to Settings/Wifi/then click the arrow for your network to see that you are getting a real IP address--192.168...etc...).

The problem with my setup was that the password on my router was a hexadecimal password. I didn't realize this because when I connect with my mac, I don't have to specify that it is hexadecimal. I clicked the Forget this Network button, and then rejoined the network, this time choosing WEP Hexadecimal as the option.

mjn138.. brilliant!!

Thank you! Your advice worked first time. Greatly appreciated.

My error.

FWIW, Edge in New York (upper west side) wasn't that good. After all the stories I have read of users disatisfaction with AT&T network, I was pleasantly surprised. Perhaps, it was one of the cities where the netork was upgraded in recent days.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    i cant unprotect it..its a verizon fios router it always has a password to connect to =/...it needs one or it wont refresh
  • Reply 8 of 10
    for anyone wondering..the problem was solved

i guess verizon fios routers passwords are run off WEP HEX or ASCII password not just "WEP password"...so make sure you choose that when logging in with your iphone
  • Reply 9 of 10
    shellyfmshellyfm Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjn138 View Post

Thank you! This worked! This was such a frustrating problem.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Recently I have been facing issues with my iPhone 6 wifi. The wifi router is on. Internet is working. But the moment I am even a bit far than my router the wifi stops working. Other devices at home are working great on wifi. 
    What could be the issue? The device is also updated to the latest version of IOS.  Do I need to reset or restart my device? 

Any idea people what could be the issue.