How long before the "next" generation of iphone?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have been hearing the rumor that there will be another iphone out in either October or January. I was thinking of getting an iphone now, but if new ones will be out in either October or January I know know that I want to pluck down $600 if the current iphone will be obsolete that soon. If that is the case, that is a lot of money you are basically throwing away, just to have the latest phone technology. I went and looked at one today and thought that it was just incredible. I went home and keep thinking about it and reading articles, which then started to worry me. Can anyone shed some light on these rumors?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Phones upgrade really fast. There will always be a better one 4-6 months away. Always.

That said, here's my guess work at a hardware revision if they really want to sell 10 million units.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Incremental software updates will keep them ahead of the curve for the first year, but they need to address video capabilities and voice recognition (among other niggling details) for future models.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    The UK and possibly some other European countries will be getting a 3G version in October. I doubt there will be much difference in anything other than the 3G capability and possibly the camera (but I doubt it). Most other 'features' can be implemented with software updates. This is where the iPhone has a massive advantage over other phone makers. The EU iPhone may also have a higher capacity battery to help offset the extra 3G power consumption.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Nothing will happen until demand peaks. However, I think that Apple will face a huge demand for a version with hard buttons so that it can be used with one hand.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Addison View Post

Nothing will happen until demand peaks. However, I think that Apple will face a huge demand for a version with hard buttons so that it can be used with one hand.

I have serious doubts you'll see that happen. It breaks the whole paradigm they're trying to establish.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    so you are saying that "voice recognitionn" which i feel is mandatory for a safe phone is a software upgrade not hardware? how is apple after the initial "buzz" keeping people interested???

i won't get a phone without "voice recognition" because what's the use of bluetooth when driving i have already heard that "dialing" and making a call is multi step......

what things require hardware upgrade and which require only software upgrade???

maybe you guys in the know can create a list that's not just specualtion (someone on these boards said 3g was a software upgrade--which i don't believe.)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    ^

+++

I don't see hard buttons ever. I think they'll win or admit defeat with the touch screen.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I have serious doubts you'll see that happen. It breaks the whole paradigm they're trying to establish.

i think a "apple" voice recognition solution is what's needed. you'd think all that could come from voice recognition.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think there will always be a place for a keyboard. Voice recognition wold work well for calling but I see obstacles in using it to browse the web. Many websites have unusual spellings or are outside a dictionary. How would VR handle a website like Ars Technica? Webkinz? Engadget? I guess you could spell them out but it think it would take some slick software that could go from saying a word to spelling smoothly. Also VR takes some significant processing power to work smoothly.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

(someone on these boards said 3g was a software upgrade--which i don't believe.)

No you are correct. 3G requires a different chip than 2G.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I don't think we'll see any more iPhone hardware options for at least 9 months. Bringing an advanced platform like this to market has to be incredibly difficult and Apple will be spending their time and resources on getting the network, software and localization down pat.

What I do see though is a touch-screen OSX iPod by around x-mas. Demand will be high for something like this if it's at the current price point and Apple will have had a few months to test out the form factor, sw and everything else from the iPhone release.