iPhone Shortcomings

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Here are a few shortcomings that come to mind after reading the manual.

The current iPhone does not:
  • handle 3G nets, even though ATT supports them in a number of cities;

• support use as a bluetooth modem for a laptop;

• provide a means to display video using external devices;

• support keynote and powerpoint formats, including display on external devices

• support IM over AOL or Jabber;

• support video conferencing over AOL or Jabber;

• offer a VOIP option when connected to the network, let alone transparent roaming from cell to VOIP;

• support GPS;

• offer a reseaonable security model (To the extent that iPhone relies on Web 2.0 technologies and javascript, it exposes users to risk of man-in-the-middle attacks and operating system subversion by malicious Internet sites.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    bandalaybandalay Posts: 116member
    Thanks for the list - I think you missed a few hundred items...but seriously - which magic device are you comparing it to that has all these features - plus those of the iPhone?

By your definition (and a lot of others) it seems a new phone (and not just iPhone) can only truly be a success by accumulating all features of previous smartphones, and incrementing the feature list by at least one.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I think a big shortcoming is the fact it can't delete individual recent calls or SMS messages.

This is simple and should be available.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    riptideriptide Posts: 57member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I think a big shortcoming is the fact it can't delete individual recent calls or SMS messages.

This is simple and should be available.

You can delete SMS messages but I too found it odd that individual calls can't be deleted. I also found a couple of UI glitches and inconsistencies. In Weather, once ading a location, there is no way to return.. no "done" button. In Maps it's not easy (not sure how I, in fact, did it) to retrun from driving directions to location mode.

Also woul like the option of texting or call from favorites, but a touch prompts a call.

Overall, a fabulous, entertaining and "fun experience". As an internet device, it's fabulous. I'll welcome Flash support soon
  • Reply 4 of 12
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I think a big shortcoming is the fact it can't delete individual recent calls...

I picked up on that one right away, since I'd called my own land line, and from my own land line, a couple of times while testing the phone. I went to delete the individual entries, and ended up making another call as soon as I'd touched the entry.

For now, deleting calls looks like an all-or-nothing proposition.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Riptide View Post

I also found a couple of UI glitches and inconsistencies. In Weather, once ading a location, there is no way to return.. no "done" button. In Maps it's not easy (not sure how I, in fact, did it) to retrun from driving directions to location mode.

In weather, all you do is type in the location and click search. It will then come up with all the matching locations, and then you just touch the right one and it goes back to the main weather info thingy with your new added location.

In maps all you have to do is press the button on the lower left side to toggle directions on or off.

These aren't inconsistencies.

I haven't found any glitches so far and I've been tearing this thing apart for the last couple days...the only thing is I can't figure out how to use the caps lock, when I enable it in the settings, the shift button works the same as when its off. Maybe I just don't know how to use it.

A couple of sites caused safari to crash though, if you could call it a crash...it just closed the browser window and went back to the home screen. It didn't freeze or anything.

I love this thing
  • Reply 6 of 12
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bandalay View Post

Thanks for the list - I think you missed a few hundred items...but seriously - which magic device are you comparing it to that has all these features - plus those of the iPhone?

By your definition (and a lot of others) it seems a new phone (and not just iPhone) can only truly be a success by accumulating all features of previous smartphones, and incrementing the feature list by at least one.

Ok well lets lower it down a bit shall we.

How about the lack of basic file transfer via bluetooth? How about other Bluetooth profiles like A2DP lol

How about MMS

How about video recording? How about flash on the camera?
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Ok well lets lower it down a bit shall we.

How about the lack of basic file transfer via bluetooth? How about other Bluetooth profiles like A2DP lol

How about MMS

How about video recording? How about flash on the camera?

Yup, lots of missing stuff. Some is missing because of time to market issues. Other stuff is missing for "business reasons." Yet other stuff is missing because they haven't imagined it in a portable device -- leaves them something to "invent' later on.

Security is important and businesses need to demand it.

We already know there is lots of cool UI, but this unit really just repackages some mainstream features conveniently. It will be more interesting when they push the envelop further.

Expect the Apple shills to troll the forum....and beat down any heretics, or even, minor questioners....
  • Reply 8 of 12
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcmallery View Post

Yup, lots of missing stuff. Some is missing because of time to market issues. Other stuff is missing for "business reasons." Yet other stuff is missing because they haven't imagined it in a portable device -- leaves them something to "invent' later on.

Security is important and businesses need to demand it.

Would you like to elaborate more on the reasons why?
  • Reply 9 of 12
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I don't want features I'd never use (voice dialing anyone?!), although I'm sure this stuff will come down the road. GPS and 3G would be nice, but I understand the power/form-factor issues so I'm content for now.

What I do want is consistent UI between all applications, like supporting portrait mode in all apps. I want separate power settings when docked so I can leave it running when connected via USB.

And as a programmer I want an SSH-capable terminal, but I admit this is not a priority for most users.

Regarding using the iPhone as a bluetooth modem, I bet they've purposefully disabled that for our "all you can eat" data plans. If you really start eating mega data by using it as a modem I'm sure even ATT's "Straight Edge" network would feel it.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    crazychestercrazychester Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:

The significance of the iPhone is at least twofold. Presently, you are only looking at it in terms of latest gadget whizbangery. Here's a hint: "business reasons" is almost certainly the main reason for missing stuff.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Oh, and the one major bug I've found is related to iTunes.

If the iPhone is syncing and you change some settings in iTunes -- say add a movie or playlist -- the sync and iTunes will get pissed, essentially requiring a force quit. My iPods and Apple TV can have updated content while syncing so lets get this fixed.
  • Reply 12 of 12
    Quote:

Using Web 2.0 programming as an extension model is problematic. See, for example, the paper by Paul Karger at Web 2.0 Security & Privacy 2007. Observe that, unlike Java, JavaScript has no attempt at a security model (as yet).

Some might argue that the iPhone is a very large security hole waiting to leak corporate information. A cool UI and VPN capabilities make it all the more insidious...