For everyone who is disappointed with iPhone, Great News!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Ok put video recording aside. What about A2DP, this is after all a music centric device right? Or what about regular bluetooth profiles for sending and recieving things like contacts, videos and mp3s? Perhaps not A2DP but the latter is in every single phone these days. Infact id struggle to find even the most basic one that doesnt have that feature.

And your response "itsnot important to me?" well sorry mate that might cut it in the states but in Europe we are slightly more advanced with what we want in our phones.

Whilst you may not want video we want 30fps! Whilst you are ok with only some regular headphones fitting we want 3.5mm jack and a2dp. Not to mention something faster than EDGE LOL But thats ok as the EU version will have that.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Do you not have any actual points to make? Or will you continue to blindley worship this phone which is superceded even atits time of release.

Yep. Just like the iPod was obsolete right out of the gate because it didn't have voice recording and a radio.

All people care about is a bullet-point feature list, which is why the iPod was such an abysmal failure.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    shadowxshadowx Posts: 27member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

I spoke with a very good source, who's an Apple employee very "familiar" with the iPhone project over the weekend, I told him I loved the interface, and all the great subtle little features it has that makes it so easy to use. I then told him I really, wanted a File System Access so I could store files, download images from the web, and generally carry around data, not just load it up from iTunes..

He said Apple IS absolutely BUILDING this, and it will come in a software update no later than when Leopard ships in two months (there will be updates before this)

Here is what he said:
    • There will be a build in file browser like the new finder in leopard for sorting through files

• There will be a disk mode

• The reason that there currently isn't a file browser + way to save files from web is because there isn't a file browser on the phone, and they wanted to release the same one that's gonna be in the upcoming leopard OS, complete with coverflow.

• There will even be a special version of "iWork" so you can show your keynote presentations

• So anyway a FULL file browser is coming so you can browse just like windows mobile explorer only in the cool way leopard's file browser is

• Full spotlight like search is coming too

• Widescreen keyboard support will be coming in every app, not just safari

• Copy & Paste, Select Text is coming too (clipboard)

• Also mail will see an upgrade so you can add accounts without doing so through itunes.

• Most of the delays in this is because iTunes is the App Windows & Mac users are familar with for iTunes, so Apple didn't want to do a bad interface that had a file browser hacked into iTunes.

• When Leopard FINAL release comes out, plugging in the iPhone will pop open a special window in the finder that has areas for dragging all your files like a file explorer only more advanced and designed specifically for the iPhone, it will make sure that it works so iTunes knows how much space is for data, and how much is for "iTunes" stuff.

• Apple will be putting iChat on the phone, very, very soon, before Leopard.

• Real Applications are coming to the phone shortly.

• These are all updates that will be software based for the iPhone you already have, so give it a little bit of time. In the meantime enjoy the features it already has.

• Oh and also there will be Photo Sharing, just like in iPhoto how you can check an option to let other people on the network view your photos.

• He said .Mac account would eventually sync your accounts to the .Mac server as well from the phone, and so forth.

• Simplified File sharing when on WIFI networks through bonjour (auto ip discovery) is coming, so once the file system software is up, your buddy in the same room will be able to navigate to his file browser > Network, and grab a file off your phone that you are sharing.

• Ringtones will be coming very, very soon.

• The Camera Software will get upgraded soon to have stabilization (software based)

• Flash is coming eventually, it's just a matter of handling it in a way so when i page has dozens of flash apps running at the same time the page doesn't slow to a crawl, so they have to take the Adobe flash and make some customizations, including for security.

• Anyway, enjoy the great mobile phone for now, and look forward to all the great stuff coming really, really soon. I can't WAIT for the new file browser so I can store stuff on this device!!

• Just remember Windows Mobile has been out or a long time, even everytime a new WM phone comes out all the apps that are supposed to work, have to be tweaked or don't fit on the screen or some bullcrap, so realize this is just Apple's very first OS release for mobile Phone. Apple has lots of treats instore for all of you.

I probably missed a few things, so if you have questions about features that will be software updated, ask because I only typed what I could remember right now, and we talked about quite a bit of stuff!!!!

This is good news if true... it's just too bad it doesn't (can't) fix the lack of a removable battery (fine for an av device like an ipod... not a good idea for a phone), the need to buy an adapter for the vast majority of third party headphones, s l o w EDGE speeds, and AT&T's less than stellar network and customer service. The iPhone IS a great device, BUT... REV B will be awesome... and REV X will be a must buy (the first revision not held hostage with AT&T - still can't believe Verizon was that stupid).
  • Reply 24 of 40
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Im using a N90 + K800 but will have an n93i/n95 on Tuesday. Got WIFI, good camera, VGA 30fps video, support for both H264 and H263 video. A2DP am i missing anything?

3.5 inch screen is nice i admit but its not enough to compensate for leaving out such basis things like bluetooth profiles. I mean you cant even share anything with anyone. How closed of can you be lol

omg lol Is that thing twice the thickness of the iPhone, or three times? And how much internal memory does it have - 50 megabytes lol? And how much talk time, 3 hours? Good luck staring at the tiny screen too. Why couldn't nokia give it a full-sized screen like the iPhone lol? And have fun sorting through your voicemail. good luck with your very expensive new phone that has already been surpassed in features before you even get it next week lol How long has nokia been a cell phone maker and they can't include such basic features lol good luck with that mate.

(see it's easy isn't it?)
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Internal memory? lol Yeah 50 ro so mb but with a 4gig card of course. Oh and I think 2.6 inches isnt tiny hehe

As for voicemail I tend to answer my calls when they come through instead of having sort through them later lol

Perhaps you should check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTNgTsq8l08

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6Q5QuhQzIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwrE5UCUf7s

My favourate is the camera one. Have fun flicking through the mediocre 2mp fixed focus pics. lol

BTW What basic feaures are you talking about what the N95 lacks?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    So, if I'm following you: features not on the iPhone that you want equal massive failure.

Features not on the N95 equal not important.

Battery life is a feature. Screen size is a feature. Visual Voicemail is a feature.
  • Reply 27 of 40
    Visual voicemail is a new feature only seen in the iphone but thats ok. Its a nice novelty but do you intend on using that all day?

Screen size is 2.6 inches ok its not 3.5 but its still quite big. Battery i admit is an issue but at least it can be replaced by hand. Surley you cant defend thet phones lack of removable battery can you ? lol

i like the iphone but its lacking basic features that all phones have these days for no logical reason.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    The only decent thing going for this phone is the OSX and userinterface. Evn then its not full OSX as it cant do 3rd partty applications.

And by they way what way the mystery feature we wouldnt know until it was released?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    There are few things more embarrassing to anonymous non-U.S. posters than to have the flaws of their cohorts so flagrantly exposed.

Perhaps it might be fitting if we just left it at this - there are some people who, not having the iPhone to actually try and compare, find solace in their third world technology - and there are those who, having the iPhone, find that although it embraces many advances, there are still some areas in which improvement would be appreciated.

I, for one, would find it comforting that Apple is at least duly congratulated for advancing a new paradigm in personal technology. There is simply no need to invite comparisons to a mere cell phone, no matter how enabled the old paradigm should be.

That being said, I congratulate you, Apple, on a truly magnificent beginning. It remains to be seen whether the rest of the world can build on it by expanding upon your metaphor - or continue to ignore it in vainglorious ways.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

The only decent thing going for this phone is the OSX and userinterface. Evn then its not full OSX as it cant do 3rd partty applications.

And by they way what way the mystery feature we wouldnt know until it was released?

You are a complete idiot and a troll.

If you really don't like the iPhone then go away and don't bother to comment on a product you have no interest it.

It has been stated very clearly by Apple that they are going to add new features (not just bug fixes) to the iPhone and Apple TV. That is the whole point of the deferred revenue profile they are taking for them both. Of course you are not interested in facts, just here to try and put down a new device that many will be quite happy with. It may not have all the features you want / need, but it will be perfect for others. They pay their money they make their choice.

If the iPhone is not for you, then that is fine, move along and post in forums for the phones you like and own. Or is it really that you are so jealous you come here to try and cause a stir.

What is your problem really?
  • Reply 31 of 40
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

The only thing. Try the main thing. While the iPhone may not win a feature comparison contest with other phones, its user interface is precisely what sets it apart (and above imo) other phones. What is the use of having all of the features that you want if the UI makes them practically useless?

That said, the phone is not perfect and will be improved, but there are other threads for that.

Now, back onto the topic of this thread (which you insist on derailing). The iPhone will continue to add features through software updates and hardware improvements. Making landscape mode for the keyboard available for other apps would be a welcome improvement, since everyone seems to agree that it is easier to use.

Edit: I agree with Parky.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    I will still be going for one eventually when my current contract runs out but the point I was trying to illustrate is that whilst it may be fine to please many of you in the states its not enough in its current form to please many in Europe.

Are apple going to add proper bluetooth profiles, mms, video recording? I doubt it. Maybe the first 1 or 2 but the latter may require changes in hardware if they dont alraedy exists. If they do exists then we shall see in time but for now hush up.\
  • Reply 33 of 40
    filburtfilburt Posts: 398member
    Quote:

Are apple going to add proper bluetooth profiles, mms, video recording? I doubt it. Maybe the first 1 or 2 but the latter may require changes in hardware if they dont alraedy exists. If they do exists then we shall see in time but for now hush up.\

iPhone is fully capable of video as C-4 conference winner iPhone Video Conference app proved.

Anyway, all this 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 type of updates are making me anxious for the real feature update. IMO, most needed are MMS, improved SMS (character counter, multiple recipients, delete individual SMS), voice call (dangerous when driving without one), improved Mail (multiple delete, Exchange), and clipboard.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    wow... bavlondon2 practically doubled his post-count in a single thread !!

As for the iPhone ... success is measured in sales more than in complaints from people that don't have the product. And as that goes, the iPhone has been a huge success.

Sure, there are things I'm eager to see added to it, but I still find it to be a WAY better phone/device than the Treo 650 I used to have. I use the phone, I use the iPod (esp the video), I use the visual VM feature a LOT.

I'd like to have the file browser ... hopefully soon. Otherwise, I don't have a use for ANY of the features you seem to think are mandatory... apparently a lot of other people feel the same way I do.

You're welcome to complain and criticize... that's generally what happens on internet forums... but just because it doesn't meet YOUR needs, doesn't mean it's not a fantastic device for us mere mortals

(To be honest, I don't even know what MMS is, much less have a need for it.)
  • Reply 35 of 40
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:

Thats rubbish.

So, after years of development for a system that has already been up and running, they:

-didn't manage to do some video recording?

-didn't manage to build an MMS app?

-weren't able to put (the already existing) iChat on this (they even used the interface for the SMS threaded view, and still you believe they didn't because there was no time or what)?

-couldn't implement A2DP?

-couldn't port a file browser?

-didn't manage to make it mass-storage compatible?

-didn't create Office Viewer apps that aren't bound to the eMail-client?

-Were oblivious to SMS/eMail recipient lists?

-couldn't offer a function in the mail client to browse you images to select an attachment? Not that I expected any other file type, but c'mon, not even images?

-couldn't let you attach multiple images to a mail?

-forgot about letting you use your own ringtones?

-didn't let you personalize it more than just the wallpaper that is only displayed when the device is locked?

-forgot to let the user save image from the web, or videos? Or any other file, for that matter?

Give me a break - a lot of these things are design decisions that simply fell victim to the Simplicity madness Apple has. They won't be changed.

I am inclined to agree with you in that most likely there was some hard decision making to determine which features of the likely many that were tested/approved/finished would Apple want to actually debut along side the iPhone in its infant state. Could they have had a file browser ready during their 2 years of development?: likely so. Could they have had video ready?: likely so.

This does NOT necessarily mean that these features were left out forever or that the iPhone was somehow "crippled." Try to think of things from Apple's perspective. If you (Apple) had a revolutionary product that could do a, b, c, d, e, f, g, . . . . all the way to z how in the world are you going to market such a device? In my opinion, since Apple's key target market is/was/will be cell phone users they need to make sure that people know that this is a phone and also an iPod and can also do a, b, and c. If Apple shot right out of the gate with this long list of features the iPhone could possibly have appeared too complicated or as having "more than I need" or might have downplayed to the consumer that this is a phone.

Also, what better way to keep people talking about the iPhone than by letting people get used to what it can do - which is a new for the majority of cell phone users (internet, fullscreen, iPod, etc.) and then "boom" (excuse the reference) drop some more "must have" features that will keep people talking about the iPhone and reel in those who were on the fence about it all along (perhaps individuals like yourself).

Finally, if you don't buy either of the first two reasons why these rumored features could have been planned all along and could soon be coming to the iPhone, you have to admit that providing significant updates to the iPhone will make Apple more money. I say this because there will always be the early adopters who would have bought the iPhone if it had a string and tin can on the other end so long as it had an Apple logo. There are also those who always way for "Rev B" of a product to make sure all of the bugs are out, but were decided customers all along. Then there are those who need convincing, and significant updates with additional press (which will continue solid through the holidays making it a solid YEAR of nothing but iPhone craze) to lure them in.

Take it or leave it, but it is all possible, if not probable.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:

PS You forgot to quote the person who you copied this from on the joke of all forums. Howard lol

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1191647

How on earth could you NOT post this first. Couldn't you finish you thought before posting. Its just a disaster that you released something, your thoughts, before they were finished!!!!
  • Reply 37 of 40
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    When the iPhone gets GPS I'll buy one immediately, and I'm not someone who has a penchant for things just because they're new and shiny.

I want a portable device that does 100% of what I want to do and I want it to have the best user interface available. When I saw the iPhone, I knew it could almost be that device.. and when it gets GPS it will be. Other phones just don't come close. Don't blame me for that, blame the phone manufactures.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

How on earth could you NOT post this first. Couldn't you finish you thought before posting. Its just a disaster that you released something, your thoughts, before they were finished!!!!

• Reply 39 of 40
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Taskiss View Post

When I saw the iPhone, I knew it could almost be that device.. and when it gets GPS it will be. Other phones just don't come close. Don't blame me for that, blame the phone manufactures.

No, I blame you for that. YOU! It's entirely your fault that other phones just don't come close. ALL YOUR FAULT.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    First person I've heard from the U.K. that considers themselves as being from "Europe". You're not from the continent. Troll

"well sorry mate that might cut it in the states but in Europe we are slightly more advanced with what we want in our phones"