iphone camera in the WRONG place....

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Well...not in the wrong place for now.

But there is no doubt that in the near future Apple wants to use the iphone for live video conferencing.

Which will mean the camera will move to the front of the iphone instead of the back where it is now.

Which also means that current iphone owners will have to upgrade to a newer better iphone because their cameras are on the back of the phone which would make effective teleconferencing impossible.

There is no way I am buying an iphone for awhile. Not only for that reason....but for space too. I gaurantee you that by January they will release a 20 gig iphone for the same price.

I love apple as much as the mac heads who waited in line for 5 days for an iphone. I am just as dedicated a fan. But I'm not as knee jerky as those buyers. Thanks to them apple has impressive buzz. But thanks to buyers like me, Apple has staying power.

Plus I think its alot smarter to wait. The upgrades(especially on a new release) are ALWAYS infinitely better in features and price.

My love of apple is great....but its smart to wait. :-)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    The camera isnt meant for video conferencing its for pics. And anyway it would be better to have 3G to do that. The EU version should have this though.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Well...Apple could easily have put in an "isight" camera. I mean they already put them in the thin frame around the laptops already. There is more than enough room in the iphone.

I think its quite obvious that that will be the direction they move in. Knowing Apple they already have prototypes built.

In the next year they will sell MILLIONS and MILLIONS of the first iphone. Then next year they will come out with the isight iphones.....and MILLIONS of current iphone users will sell or give their iphones to friends and family and they'll buy new ones.

Personally I love the iphone. I was at the soho store and fooled around with it alot. They have a winner. But there were many things that they have to work on, that will be worked out in future versions.

Its true that ALOT of the things that can be worked out can be worked out thru software updates, since there are no buttons. Which is cool. But many things will be hardware updates like the isight camera and much larger hard drives.

Of the things I noticed while playing with the iphone at the apple store was that many times while surfing the internet, it crashed or cancelled safari. Something in the websites didn't work and it just shut off.

Also...it would not let me "search" on youtube for videos. I know there is no flash and they are updating all the youtube videos. But I think not being able to handle flash was a mistake. Flash is EVERYWHERE on the internet, and i forsee alot of problems with alot of websites.

Lastly, I found the keypad to be awkward at first....but then I got the hang of it. HOWEVER....the "go" button is VERY close to the other keys and I kept hitting it with my finger by accident which caused safari to start searching for the webpage before I finished typing it.

This happened so many times, it got to be really frustrating. I don't know if i just have big fingers or what.....but it was annoying as hell. It took me 20 tries just to check my yahoo email.

anyway...those are my thoughts.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    You can wait forever and no device will ever have *everything* that you *think* it needs. If you *must* have video conferencing, then wait, but personally I don't think we'll be seeing it for quite a while...
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Its not just waiting for the "isight" feature. You're right...THAT may be awhile.

However, as much as I crave owning one....I think I will wait until the dust settles a bit.

Its obvious they have a winner on their hands. But much can happen, and I am glad I am waiting at least until the New Year. I don't NEED it right now, as much as I may want it.

I think in this case, my 6 month wait will be rewarded with more features and better pricing.

We shall see.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Its not just waiting for the "isight" feature. You're right...THAT may be awhile.

However, as much as I crave owning one....I think I will wait until the dust settles a bit.

Its obvious they have a winner on their hands. But much can happen, and I am glad I am waiting at least until the New Year. I don't NEED it right now, as much as I may want it.

I think in this case, my 6 month wait will be rewarded with more features and better pricing.

We shall see.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that approach. I was just tossing in my 2 cents. For me I'm not that worried because now that I have mine, my wife wants one. However, she doesn't want it bad enough that she wants to spend the money--she has her own additions like Jackets and Purses BUT she can't wait until a new version comes out cause she knows I'll get it and then she'll get mine. So for me, I don't see owning rev 1 as a waste if for some reason a rev 2 comes out within 12 months.

In the mean time, just comfort yourself a picture of the iPhone as your desktop wallpaper
  • Reply 6 of 6
    And I cant say I am not alittle jealous!

I think they are uber cool...and I am sure you are gonna have a blast owning it.

To be honest, if money wasn't an issue right now, I'd have one in my hands too.

Perhaps I am just trying to justify my waiting. :-)