Cant send/receive SMS and no Visual Voicemail: probably a ? for AT&T

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
It's been a very long weekend, but I'll spare repeating all of the horror stories that have been posed elsewhere ad nauseum.

I finally got activated (can send and receive calls). However, I now find that:

[1] I can seemingly send SMS Text messages (i.e. no error messages are received); however, no one ever receives the messages (this is true for AT&T and non AT&T customers). I also dont receive any messages either (and yes, I have SMS messages in my plan).

[2] When I tap the voicemail icon on the phone screen, the phone starts dialing the number to retrieve voicemails -- there is no visual voicemail or setup screen for it. (I have a friend who also has an iPhone and I can see that his phone has the visual voicemail stuff).

Since AT&T's tech support is closed on weekends (I tried their 'after hours' number, but I was cut off after 20 minutes on hold), I thought I'd try posting here...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    I had to setup my outgoing greeting before I got any of VM stuff, and admittedly, I stumbled onto that while I was just exploring the interface (Settings I think).

Did you setup your greeting? When you do that, you get a warning that says your existing mailbox will be deleted and to listen to any existing messages before starting this process. Hope this helps!
  • Reply 2 of 7
    argeliusargelius Posts: 309member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

I had to setup my outgoing greeting before I got any of VM stuff, and admittedly, I stumbled onto that while I was just exploring the interface (Settings I think).

Did you setup your greeting? When you do that, you get a warning that says your existing mailbox will be deleted and to listen to any existing messages before starting this process. Hope this helps!

Not sure what you stumbled on.

The first time I hit the VM icon on the Phone, it immediately started dialing the VM number. Once I got there the recording asked if I wanted to set a password, which I did. I powered off the phone, but still no visual voice mail.

I see in my friend's iPhone in Settings>phone there's a button to "change visual voicemail passoword", which I don't have.

Sigh....This is been a very LONG weekend.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Once my iPhone is done updating my music I'll try and help. I just called my self 3 times and left messages to check out my voice mail. I can already see that it says I Missed 3 calls, and have 3 voicemail's in on my iPhone, but it's plugged into my computer. It has about 100 more songs to go, and a movie to upload before I can try. Be patient. I'll be back.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Once my iPhone is done updating my music I'll try and help. I just called my self 3 times and left messages to check out my voice mail. I can already see that it says I Missed 3 calls, and have 3 voicemail's in on my iPhone, but it's plugged into my computer. It has about 100 more songs to go, and a movie to upload before I can try. Be patient. I'll be back.

Cool -- thanks, onlooker!
  • Reply 5 of 7
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Ok, I would do what was said earlier and go into the "settings widget" in the lower right corner of the "home screen", and set your greeting. If your greeting is set you can then see the voicemail icon in the bottom right corner of your screen when you choose the phone option. After that it's all good. We get free moble to moble calls, and long distance so If you want I'll call your iPhone. Just PM me your #. You probably don't even need me to call, but I would. I just tried mine, and it's all good.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Ok, I would do what was said earlier and go into the "settings widget" in the lower right corner of the "home screen", and set your greeting. If your greeting is set you can then see the voicemail icon in the bottom right corner of your screen when you choose the phone option. After that it's all good. We get free moble to moble calls, and long distance so If you want I'll call your iPhone. Just PM me your #. You probably don't even need me to call, but I would. I just tried mine, and it's all good.

Unfortunately, my settings widget has no "greetings" option (under phone, or elsewhere). I think this only shows up once the visual voicemail is already set up...
  • Reply 7 of 7
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Argelius View Post

Not sure what you stumbled on.

The first time I hit the VM icon on the Phone, it immediately started dialing the VM number. Once I got there the recording asked if I wanted to set a password, which I did. I powered off the phone, but still no visual voice mail.

I see in my friend's iPhone in Settings>phone there's a button to "change visual voicemail passoword", which I don't have.

Sigh....This is been a very LONG weekend.

Oh pooor baby. It's been such a LONG weekend with your new iPhone. I'd call in sick on Monday if I were you. You don't want to over do it.