Good Hummus

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Boy this hummus I'm eating right now it really fscking good. Maybe it's because I have the late night munchies.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    hardeeharharhardeeharhar Posts: 4,841member
    mmm humans...

wait. you said hummus. bleh.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Now here's a poll: hummus vs. guacamole vs. mayonaisse (includes mayo-based dips such as ranch, french onion, etc).

I pick mayonaisse. Hummus vs. guac is much harder for me.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Now here's a poll: hummus vs. guacamole vs. mayonaisse (includes mayo-based dips such as ranch, french onion, etc).

Try Stenson's Mayostard, or Vaunnie's Mustardayonnaise. Mmmm... delicious (and time-saving!)
  • Reply 4 of 21
    All joking aside, Mayonnaise + mustard is good, but I honestly prefer plain mayonnaise. I will admit, I am something of a mayonnaise fanatic. In places where cream cheese or butter are often used, I use mayonnaise. Not only is it easier to spread and tastier, but mayonnaise is healthy, unsaturated fat: most other fatty spreads are saturated fats. People often think I'm weird for eating mayonnaise on bread or chips (with nothing else), but it's really just ranch dressing or onion dip minus one ingredient.
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:

All joking aside, Mayonnaise + mustard is good, but I honestly prefer plain mayonnaise. I will admit, I am something of a mayonnaise fanatic. In places where cream cheese or butter are often used, I use mayonnaise. Not only is it easier to spread and tastier, but mayonnaise is healthy, unsaturated fat: most other fatty spreads are saturated fats. People often think I'm weird for eating mayonnaise on bread or chips (with nothing else), but it's really just ranch dressing or onion dip minus one ingredient.

Wasn't mayonnaise a bit of a script point in Pulp Fiction? ... oh, yeah, here it is (edited for content) ...

JULES

Le Big Mac. What do they call a

Whopper?

VINCENT

I dunno, I didn't go into a Burger

King. But you know what they put on

french fries in Holland instead of

ketchup?

JULES

What?

VINCENT

Mayonnaise.

JULES

*******!

VINCENT

I seen 'em do it. And I don't mean a

little bit on the side of the plate,

they ****** drown 'em in it.

JULES

Uuccch!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    And what do they call a quarter-pounder with cheese?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

And what do they call a quarter-pounder with cheese?

They don't call it the Quarter-Pounder, 'cuz they got the metric system.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Hummus > all.

I grew up eating it with olives, pickles, some minced meat dressing, olive oil and a stack of steaming pita bread straight out of the oven.

Then again I haven't used hummus for anything else than plain bread.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    I just Wikipedia'd salad dressings.

I think I've reached a new level of boredom.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:

I'd have to go with either of the other two. At least then you stand half a chance of eating something "healthy".
  • Reply 11 of 21
    lupalupa Posts: 202member
    It never crossed my mind to compare, but I am definitely a guacamole fan myself. Then again, I've stopped eating hummus (and anything else the girlfriend is badly allergic to). Mayo is quite good too though.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Why? Why am I so bored that I actually read through all your posts? Why am I now responding? Why don't I have anything better to do?
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

I'd have to go with either of the other two. At least then you stand half a chance of eating something "healthy".

Hummus is basically mayonnaise with chick peas mixed-in instead of eggs. Guacamole is much more unhealthy than mayo: it's full of carbs and all sorts of fats, even when it's prepared from little more than the avocados themselves.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:

Hummus is basically mayonnaise with chick peas mixed-in instead of eggs.

Hm.

I like oil.

I like eggs.

But I can't stand mayo. I don't get it.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

Hm.

I like oil.

I like eggs.

But I can't stand mayo. I don't get it.

Probably because you don't like vinegar, which is why I assume most Americans don't like mayonnaise: we have a thing against the taste of distilled vinegar. Most commercial brands have some vinegar in there. You may want to try making your own mayonnaise from olive oil and some raw egg yolks. I actually like sunflower seed oil the best. Get the pricey, organic/free range eggs since they tend to be salmonella free. Homemade mayonnaise is much better than the commercial stuff, and it has a somewhat different taste to it. Just don't make much, because it doesn't keep well.

To keep this thread on track, you can also try to make your own hummus. All it takes, if I remember correctly, is tahini, chick peas, and a food processor. olive oil and seasonings usually are good to toss in there as well.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

To keep this thread on track, you can also try to make your own hummus. All it takes, if I remember correctly, is tahini, chick peas, and a food processor. olive oil and seasonings usually are good to toss in there as well.

My friends and I oftentimes make it after coming home from the bars.

You can smell the garlic from a block away, as you can imagine lol.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Hummus is basically mayonnaise with chick peas mixed-in instead of eggs.

Isn't that a quite remote analogy? Examined in reverse (subtracting chick peas from hummus and eggs from mayo), you are saying that tahini and garlic are basically equivalent to clear vegetable oil and salt/pepper/mustard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hummus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayonnaise

I've never really tried mayo other than at hamburger fast-food places (and I think it fits that kind of food well) but you're seriously inspiring me to try some at home. Could you share a simple sandwich or other recipe that mayo fits well?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Hummus?

What the fuck ever happened to the good 'ol fashioned Taco Bell run after hours?

You must be mistaken and meant the *only* late night beer-munchies place...

...SHEETZ!

*re-ignites sheetz vs. wawa wars*
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

My friends and I oftentimes make it after coming home from the bars.

You can smell the garlic from a block away, as you can imagine lol.

Hummus?

What the fuck ever happened to the good 'ol fashioned Taco Bell run after hours?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    aquamacaquamac Posts: 585member
    I love malt vinegar on my french fries. Yummy.

I prefer Baba Ganoush than Hummus, most places around me make hummus without olive oil. It's terrible and pasty. Never get this 'fat free' hummus. Olive oil is good for you.