OS vs. New Hardware Release Timeline

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I wasn't sure if this was more appropriate for the General Forum or here, I apologize if I got it wrong.

I am looking to purchase two systems, an iMac and a MacBook. Since neither of the computers are desperately needed at the moment I am probably going to wait until the coming release of Leopard in October.

I would just like to get opinions on whether or not the new iMacs and MacBooks are likely to be released some time this year. I am more concerned about the Macbook.

I am afraid of receiving the too common burn of buying an Apple product only to see the new version released weeks later.

I am looking for opinions on how soon after, or before the coming release of Leopard will the new MacBook be released.

Thank you,

Ruel

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel View Post

I am looking for opinions on how soon after, or before the coming release of Leopard will the new MacBook be released.

I think that the MacBook will be revised soon after the release of Leopard: iBook/MacBook timeline.

The iMac was last revised on September 6, I wouldn't buy one at the moment, unless absolutely necessary. Rumors have it that a new model is tracking for mid-to-late summer.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rem#1rem#1 Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ruel View Post

I wasn't sure if this was more appropriate for the General Forum or here, I apologize if I got it wrong.

I am looking to purchase two systems, an iMac and a MacBook. Since neither of the computers are desperately needed at the moment I am probably going to wait until the coming release of Leopard in October.

I would just like to get opinions on whether or not the new iMacs and MacBooks are likely to be released some time this year. I am more concerned about the Macbook.

I am afraid of receiving the too common burn of buying an Apple product only to see the new version released weeks later.

Thank you,

Ruel

I doubt that the MacBook will be upgraded before MacWorld January 2008. I base this on the fact that the MacBook was just upgraded and so was the MacBook Pro.

The next upgrade I expect, in January, will be the MBP to Peryn chip with LED Screens across the board. With the MB upgraded to the current MBP specs except for the LED Screen.

For the iMacs I think that will count on when the Peryn chips become available. If they will not be available in quantity till January we will see an upgrade in either August or September to the specs of the MBP without the LED screens mainly to give a boost to the back to school season. The other variable is Leopard. If it will make, it's scheduled October release date and quantities of the Peryn chip is available then we may see upgrades across the board with the Peryn chip going into most Apple computers except for the Mac Mini and the MB, the MM getting close to or a little bit better than the MB. I include I an upgrade to the Mac Pro,
  • Reply 3 of 5
    ruelruel Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post

I think that the MacBook will be revised soon after the release of Leopard: iBook/MacBook timeline.

The iMac was last revised on September 6, I wouldn't buy one at the moment, unless absolutely necessary. Rumors have it that a new model is tracking for mid-to-late summer.

Seems like the revision before the current one was made six months prior to the current. So it seems it would be wiser to hold off on buying it until Christmas, when it would be logical for Apple to release a new laptop as well as it being six months since the last revision.

With the release of a new iMac possibly coming before Leopard I would probably wait until Leopard is released so I can get the new iMac along with the new version of OSX.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

I doubt that the MacBook will be upgraded before MacWorld January 2008. I base this on the fact that the MacBook was just upgraded and so was the MacBook Pro.

The next upgrade I expect, in January, will be the MBP to Peryn chip with LED Screens across the board. With the MB upgraded to the current MBP specs except for the LED Screen.

My only thing is that the last upgrade of the MacBook line was relatively minor upgrading CPU speed only, at least that is what I remember. So with the six month mark coming up in December regarding the last MacBook update as well as the increasing percentage of laptop sales every month going to Apple it seems it would make sense for them to release upgrades of their more affordable systems before Christmas, such as the Mac mini, iMac, and MacBook.

Also, with the iPhone bringing a lot of attention to Apple, yet it being expensive, it would make sense for them to release new revisions of their more affordable products soon. Bringing out a new update for the MacBook seems to make a whole lot of sense for Apple, they haven't brought a major update to the product is six months, coming December, and they have more media, and consumer attention.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REM#1 View Post

For the iMacs I think that will count on when the Peryn chips become available. If they will not be available in quantity till January we will see an upgrade in either August or September to the specs of the MBP without the LED screens mainly to give a boost to the back to school season. The other variable is Leopard. If it will make, it's scheduled October release date and quantities of the Peryn chip is available then we may see upgrades across the board with the Peryn chip going into most Apple computers except for the Mac Mini and the MB, the MM getting close to or a little bit better than the MB. I include I an upgrade to the Mac Pro,

It may not be a coincidence that the revised release date for Leopard coincides with the ship date for Penryn. We may see some Penryn-based Macs in time for the holiday buying season. I don't think Apple would let its competitors have a free ride through the holidays with Penryn-based products.