Apple's offers $86 iPhone battery replacement program

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
If your iPhone requires service only because the batteryÂ?s ability to hold an electrical charge has diminished, Apple will repair your iPhone for a service fee of $79, plus $6.95 shipping, the company said Monday.

In a support document published to its website, the Cupertino-based electronics maker suggests that iPhone customers initially follow a series of usage guidelines aimed at optimizing and preserving battery life.

In particular, Apple says iPhone users should make sure they have installed the latest version of iPhone software and that -- like iPods -- they keep the device as close to room temperature as possible.

"Do not leave [iPhone] in a vehicle's interior when parked in the sun," the company said, for instance.

The total cost of the battery repair program with shipping comes out to $85.95 per unit, but all fees are subject to local tax. Apple adds that the service is subject to its Repair Terms and Conditions, and therefore may not be available if an iPhone has been damaged due to accident or abuse.

Those iPhone customers who eventually opt for the repair service should know that the process will clear all data from their iPhone.Â*

"It is important to sync your iPhone with iTunes to back up your contacts, photos, email account settings, text messages, and more," Apple said.Â*"Apple is not responsible for the loss of information while servicing your iPhone and does not offer any data transfer service."

Apple says the iPhone's battery should last through 300-400 charging cycles before needing a replacement.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Or... find a suitable replacement one will more assuredly show up pop the back cover off the phone cut the old battery leads (and strip each end bare (discard bad battery) and twist the leads from the new battery close cover and yer done... If you wanna get fancy you could break out the soldering iron but I'm not too good with super hot pointy things and I'd be too afraid of screwing something up...

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 37
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

The letter also urged Apple to provide replacement batteries free of charge throughout the life of the iPhone.

....and a jelly doughnut you forgot about the doughnut!!!
  • Reply 3 of 37
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    There's already a move to get Apple to provide free battery replacements:

"Los Angeles-based consumer watchdog group that filed a lawsuit against Apple Inc. in 2006 has called on the company to spell out the iPhone's battery-replacement policy to prospective buyers."

"In a letter sent Friday (download PDF) to Apple CEO Steve Jobs and AT&T Inc. CEO Randall Stephenson, the Foundation for Taxpayers and Consumer Rights (FTCR) asked that iPhone battery issues be disclosed in all advertising, before retail sales close and during activation using iTunes "to ensure that no customers are misled concerning the performance and effective cost of the unit." The letter also urged Apple to provide replacement batteries free of charge throughout the life of the iPhone."

Link
  • Reply 4 of 37
    avoravor Posts: 44member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me

The letter also urged Apple to provide replacement batteries free of charge throughout the life of the iPhone."

I don't even know how to respond to this type of thinking. I'm in a deep state of shock at the complete lack of thought FTCR put into it.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

"In a letter sent Friday (download PDF) to Apple CEO Steve Jobs and AT&T Inc. CEO Randall Stephenson, the Foundation for Taxpayers and Consumer Rights (FTCR) asked that iPhone battery issues be disclosed in all advertising, before retail sales close and during activation using iTunes "to ensure that no customers are misled concerning the performance and effective cost of the unit." The letter also urged Apple to provide replacement batteries free of charge throughout the life of the iPhone."[/I]

That's just asinine. While I think Apple's current battery warranty is a bit stingy (51% from spec in one year is still OK, not warranting replacement), but expecting free batteries for life is silly. The given price in the story is about right for replacement phone batteries.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

That's just asinine. While I think Apple's current battery warranty is a bit stingy (51% from spec in one year is still OK, not warranting replacement), but expecting free batteries for life is silly. The given price in the story is about right for replacement phone batteries.

I agree. But I predict that Apple will pay for this -- one way or another.

I am the BIGGEST fan of the iPhone so far, but this is the type of thing that makes me feel like Apple sometimes treats its customers like s*1t. I have owned it for a little over 3 days, and I have already charged it 5 or 6 times.

I guess I have only 294 or 394 charges left. That, in turn means that, at current usage, I have somewhere between 150 and 200 days of usage remaining. If I have to replace a battery then (for a product that will, in all likelihood, have had a couple of major hardware updates) to extend its life for another half year, I'll just throw it away. (Unless Apple pays for the replacement.)

As an aside, so much for Apple/Al Gore and their environmental b/s!

• Reply 7 of 37
    citycity Posts: 522member
    The user unfriendly battery is okay for an iPod, the iPhone battery should pop off the back of the phone the way it does with my inferior cell phone.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    I so wanted this phone. But I just can't in my right mind purchase a phone that doesn't feature a battery that I can replace on my own without any fear of damaging the device. Apple should have created a device that features a swappable battery like any other phone on the market.

Instead they have gone down a pathway that guarantees frustration for their users. Why? Who uses a mobile phone exclusively without a landline? Raise your hands. Yep, alot of us. How can I afford to send off my phone to Apple and be without a phone until they ship it back to me 3-5 business days later. That could easily be a week without access to a phone if the replacement shipping falls across a weekend.

That's just inexcusable.

With the iPod that's ok. But phone access is too essential in our modern society: business calls, bills to pay, emergency calls, etc.

I just don't understand how Apple could make this decision. Until they fix this one key aspect of the product I simply cannot buy their phone.

And that really bums me out. It's so damn cool otherwise.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m00nchild View Post

I just don't understand how Apple could make this decision. Until they fix this one key aspect of the product I simply cannot buy their phone.

So don't buy it?

... I had a phone several years ago that had a battery that kept popping loose. It wouldn't fall off, but the phone would die. I had no way to know other than to look at the phone. (It got trashed and replaced in short order.)...

So removeable batteries have their short-comings as well.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Which means all user should exchange their battery right before their first year ends.

Now i would only hope their are some serious breakthrough on the much needed battery technology.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    rocnessrocness Posts: 1member
    I had 4 cell in life i never ever had to buy a new battery
  • Reply 12 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m00nchild View Post

I so wanted this phone. But I just can't in my right mind purchase a phone that doesn't feature a battery that I can replace on my own without any fear of damaging the device. Apple should have created a device that features a swappable battery like any other phone on the market.

Instead they have gone down a pathway that guarantees frustration for their users. Why? Who uses a mobile phone exclusively without a landline? Raise your hands. Yep, alot of us. How can I afford to send off my phone to Apple and be without a phone until they ship it back to me 3-5 business days later. That could easily be a week without access to a phone if the replacement shipping falls across a weekend.

That's just inexcusable.

With the iPod that's ok. But phone access is too essential in our modern society: business calls, bills to pay, emergency calls, etc.

And that really bums me out. It's so damn cool otherwise.

Brilliant first post.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

So don't buy it?

... ...

How arrogant.

You missed the point of his post, completely. For someone who is a (relative) veteran on this list, that is really snarky and not-terribly thougthful.
  • Reply 14 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rocness View Post

I had 4 cell in life i never ever had to buy a new battery

How many charges have you had, on average, with your four phones?

• Reply 15 of 37
    macfandavemacfandave Posts: 603member
    Holy crap! They've only been out three days and they need replacement batteries ALREADY?!

(I'm just kidding)
  • Reply 16 of 37
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Absolutely! You have two options: extend the cycles as long as possible to extend your batteries or charge the crap out of them so that you burn through it quickly and get it swapped often.

My plan is to sync the crap out of it. Once I know how bad it is I can get it replaced and figure out how I should really treat it. I foresee AppleCare in my future if nothing more than battery replacement. I'll probably get 3 replaces in 2 years and then go easy on it, holding out for the next model. *sigh*
  • Reply 17 of 37
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    Quote:

The total cost of the battery repair program with shipping comes out to $85.95 per unit, but all fees are subject to local tax. Apple adds that the service is subject to its Repair Terms and Conditions, and therefore may not be available if an iPhone has been damaged due to accident or abuse.

Those iPhone customers who eventually opt for the repair service should know that the process will clear all data from their iPhone.*

"It is important to sync your iPhone with iTunes to back up your contacts, photos, email account settings, text messages, and more," Apple said.*"Apple is not responsible for the loss of information while servicing your iPhone and does not offer any data transfer service."

If it's anything like the iPod battery replacement program, Apple technicians will repleace your dead iPhone with another USED iPhone. And all of that, because Steve Jobs won't ship a serviceable iPhone like every other cell phone manufacturer. Think different, screw your customers, and rake $650 millions from the poor suckers (2006 extra compensation for the highest paid CEO in the world).

Shame on the greedy bastard!

• Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Avor View Post

I don't even know how to respond to this type of thinking. I'm in a deep state of shock at the complete lack of thought FTCR put into it.

That's how lawsuits work. You ask for a mile and you get a few feet. But asking for 5-10 years does seem a little bit more reasonable.

Asking for battery replacements for life is like the guy who sued for $50 million for some lost pants.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    It is hard to believe that Apple wouldn't have the ability to have in-store battery replacement. After all you just need a clean kiosk in the back and a Genius to use a special device to open it up and replace the battery.

Heck by forcing customers into stores to wait the 15 minutes for the new battery, they can buy all sorts of accessories and defray any extra costs that might occur.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    With the iPhone, Apple is asking customers to take a leap of faith in many ways, the battery being one of them. To defuse those reasons not to buy, Apple definitely should have put in a user replaceable battery and sold replacements at a reasonable profit margin like every other cellphone maker does. Barring that, maybe for some technical reason, the battery exchange program should be run at cost. Right now the price sounds like a ripoff.