Blu-ray vs. HD DVD (2007)

Comments

• Reply 2281 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Press finally catching up with shortcoming of Blu-Ray players.....

"Blu-ray players to be obsolete by 2007"

http://blog.homecinemachoice.com/pag..._players_to_be

FYI........ don't argue with me about the article... I don't get paid to defend it.

However, if you want to start a discussion instead of picking a fight, I may engage. I'm glad I did not keep the Sammy Blu-Ray player, it would have become a door stop even before my first gen HD-XA1 HD-DVD player.

So, which hardware company will first step up and release a profile 1.1/2.0 compliant hardware?........ among standalone players, of course.
  • Reply 2282 of 4650
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Six months and I'll get a HD player of some kind. The race should be clear by then and I'll have paid off my HDTV. Until then, STD DVD will have to be good enough.

• Reply 2283 of 4650
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    For me it was a simple choice. I wanted a PS3, I bought it, the inbuilt BD Player is a bonus and a money saver. My choice for the format war is made.
  • Reply 2284 of 4650
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Interesting article:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118341745768555943.html

Not really sure there is much to it, seems like the field is pretty fair, and the better format will win. But if anything shady was going on, its good to fine out I guess.
  • Reply 2285 of 4650
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

Interesting article:

Not really sure there is much to it, seems like the field is pretty fair, and the better format will win. But if anything shady was going on, its good to fine out I guess.

The "better" format will win..but the question is "better for who?"
  • Reply 2286 of 4650
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

The only way Blu-ray wins is if they keep Disney and Fox exclusive. Period.

Or via the PS3. So no period. I have a cousin with a PS3. For his birthday he got a couple games (not that many titles to choose from really) and a more than a few BR movies. Why? Because of Disney or Fox? No. Because of the superiority of BR? No. Because he happened to own a console that was also a BR player? Yes.

If HD-DVD gets to $99 players by Christmas they will eliminate the PS3 effect and get millions of platforms sold, Disney and Fox will go neutral and Toshiba will have a mostly Phrryric victory for Japanese CE companies with Toshiba getting licensing revenues...some of which they appear to have traded away to the Chinese with their own native HD-DVD format...

Given that new formats don't show up every year my suspicion is that more than a couple CE CEOs would like to take Toshiba's management behind the woodshed if they trash HD player prices so quickly.

Vinea
  • Reply 2287 of 4650
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

Interesting article:

An interesting article. It seemed pretty fair although the slant seems to be that the BD camp is doing something unfair to poor old Toshiba, but did you notice that at the very end there's a "Sponsored by Toshiba" notice?

I wouldn't put that much stock at this time on any potential EU action. Once the attorneys get involved this could string out for years and by that time the question had better be moot.
  • Reply 2288 of 4650
    oldcodger73oldcodger73 Posts: 707member
    Can we stop our bickering over formats for a minute and offer me some information?

I'm going to start working on SWMBO to upgrade our receiver, which has no HDMI. The analog out from the Panasonic 10a works great so I could live with the old receiver. I can either use the 10a or the upconverting DVD player to play SD-DVDs over HDMI; however, I also have LDs--remember those big silver platters-- that I like to play occasionally. The LD player outputs the picture over S-Video. The receiver I'm looking at is the Yamaha RX-V861 which has HDMI Up Conversion and also S-Video Up Conversion.

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/p...ETYP=ATTRIBUTE

I hate to sound totally clueless but what actually does this mean? Will the receiver take in a S-Video signal and output it as an upconverted HDMI one? Does it output it as an upconverted S-Video signal?

I guess what I'm basically asking is would I get a better LD picture running it through an upconverting receiver? The answer to this will help me decide what BD discs to buy when some of my favorite older titles start showing up.

Thanks in advance.
  • Reply 2289 of 4650
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OldCodger73 View Post

Can we stop our bickering over formats for a minute and offer me some information?

I'm going to start working on SWMBO to upgrade our receiver, which has no HDMI. The analog out from the Panasonic 10a works great so I could live with the old receiver. I can either use the 10a or the upconverting DVD player to play SD-DVDs over HDMI; however, I also have LDs--remember those big silver platters-- that I like to play occasionally. The LD player outputs the picture over S-Video. The receiver I'm looking at is the Yamaha RX-V861 which has HDMI Up Conversion and also S-Video Up Conversion.

I hate to sound totally clueless but what actually does this mean? Will the receiver take in a S-Video signal and output it as an upconverted HDMI one? Does it output it as an upconverted S-Video signal?

I guess what I'm basically asking is would I get a better LD picture running it through an upconverting receiver? The answer to this will help me decide what BD discs to buy when some of my favorite older titles start showing up.

Thanks in advance.

Well... upconversion really depends on the video processor. From the spec, Yamaha AVR may be using Faroudja based processor from Genesis, which many of the current HDTV's are equipped with similar genesis processors from the factory. Therefore, you may or may not see the benefit of having upcoversion via AVR. The AVR may provide little more control with noise filters and such, but this all depends on the video processor whether to use such filters or not.

As for picking the right AVR, try searching the specs on the recently released Onkyo AVR. It should have the most current specs and features to be future proof. You would need HDMI 1.3 not only for video, but for multi-channel HiDef audio format required bandwidth. You would also want to make sure the AVR has HiDef audio decoding capability as well. Once these features are covered, then start looking at quality and performance at the price you can afford. I'm not a big fan of Onkyo, but they're the first on the market with HiDef format movie player compatible features and I thought such features are well worth noting and to expect from the other brands.

hope this helps.
  • Reply 2290 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

It's right there in the features.
    • High-definition video upscaling (480i or 480p to 720p/1080i)

• Deinterlacing (480i to 480p) through HDMI output

It's all through the HDMI output or at least through the component outputs. So, yes, your LDs will look better since they will be at least deinterlaced, or upscaled if you select that option, although obviously not as good as a true 1080 disc with 3:2 pulldown to 24fps.
  • Reply 2291 of 4650
    northgatenorthgate Posts: 4,461member
    That Denon is sweet!
  • Reply 2292 of 4650
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Well one does have to have an element of common sense here. Note..you admonished me for failure to support my assertions and then did the same thing to end your statement. Gotta love that irony.

Come the fuck on! You know what the data says. You don't need me to repost it for you. You're arguing that HD-DVD is going to win, and nearly all evidence suggests otherwise. Please.

Quote:

Product A= $299 it plays movies. It has all the support of the popular studios and titles.

Product B- $499 it plays movies. It has all the suppor to the popular studios and titles. It offers no additional functionality over Product A.

Which product is going to sell more?

Product B is selling more discs by 2/3 to 1 overall. It may not make sense, but that's what's happening and has been happening.

Quote:

If I'm wrong please explain how Blu-ray wins if Fox and Disney are gone. It certainly isn't going to be because of the quality. Both formats are as close to parity in PQ as you can get. Ditto for AQ.

HD DVD already has superior interactivity with networking functionality now. I await your well reasoned rebuttal.

Oh stop. You might as well have asked me to explain how BD wins if they stop making BD players. Give up murch. You sound ridiculous.
  • Reply 2293 of 4650
    Quote:

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitemymac View Post

Well... upconversion really depends on the video processor. From the spec, Yamaha AVR may be using Faroudja based processor from Genesis, which many of the current HDTV's are equipped with similar genesis processors from the factory. Therefore, you may or may not see the benefit of having upcoversion via AVR. The AVR may provide little more control with noise filters and such, but this all depends on the video processor whether to use such filters or not.

As for picking the right AVR, try searching the specs on the recently released Onkyo AVR. It should have the most current specs and features to be future proof. You would need HDMI 1.3 not only for video, but for multi-channel HiDef audio format required bandwidth. You would also want to make sure the AVR has HiDef audio decoding capability as well. Once these features are covered, then start looking at quality and performance at the price you can afford. I'm not a big fan of Onkyo, but they're the first on the market with HiDef format movie player compatible features and I thought such features are well worth noting and to expect from the other brands.

hope this helps.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

It's right there in the features.
    • High-definition video upscaling (480i or 480p to 720p/1080i)

• Deinterlacing (480i to 480p) through HDMI output

It's all through the HDMI output or at least through the component outputs. So, yes, your LDs will look better since they will be at least deinterlaced, or upscaled if you select that option, although obviously not as good as a true 1080 disc with 3:2 pulldown to 24fps.

To see a real difference, he's going to need not only upscaling, but upconversion as well. I have been looking at receivers, and for me the choice is going to be the Denon 4306. There are various reviews out there. I suggest a comparison of all available AVRs in his price range. Audioholics.com is not a bad place to start.

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/2243.asp
  • Reply 2294 of 4650
    Quote:

Product A= $299 it plays movies. It has all the support of the popular studios and titles.

Product B- $499 it plays movies. It has all the suppor to the popular studios and titles. It offers no additional functionality over Product A.

Which product is going to sell more?

which product is an iPod?

don't iPods cost more, but also manage to SELL more?

Gee, wonder how that argument falls on its ass.
  • Reply 2295 of 4650
    Quote:

He's right, Walter. You can't win this. Murch shifts his stance like sand on the dunes, and he knows how hard it is to find postings on this forum, harder than finding a needle in a haystack. Notice how he's changed in the last 12 months from "HD DVD pwns Blu-ray. Hahahaha!" to "If all things were equal, which would win?" He's laying the groundwork for his eventual claim that he never said HD DVD would win and that it only lost because all things weren't equal.

Thanks for that I've really gotten to the point where I can't be bothered to read his posts, because of what you point out. Of course it helps that I have made my coice (PS3) and have gotten many HAPPY hours out of it watching movies, playing games etc. where I HAVENT been frustrated, like I get when I read his sand shifting "I won't look, I won't look, I won't look, I won't look!!!" nonsense.

Its like trying to argue the non existance of god to a true believe.. ie impossible. So unless theres something REALLY laughable, I'm not going to bother because the BD sales are there the writings on the wall and I've made my choice and am ENJOYING it.

For me the HD-DVD Vs Blu-ray? question has been answered with Blu-ray winning for me on a personal level, in terms of PLAYERS sold and in terms of MOVIES sold.

{PS I made some posts last night but they didnt seem to turn up, ah well}
  • Reply 2296 of 4650
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    You want laughable? Here are some of Murch's posts from about 9 months ago:

Quote:

For the record I harbor little animosity for Blu-Ray as a format. It's just not the best format and no Blu-Ray fan has been able to refute that with empirical evidence.

Next year we should see $399 for less HD DVD players and more consumers will take note. By the end of Q1 2007 there will be over a million HD DVD playback devices. There WILL be more studios hopping over and it'll be clear that HD DVD isn't going anywhere. The inertia is already there.

"Little animosity toward Blu-ray"? Riiiight. That's where "I will never buy Blu-ray as long as HD DVD is alive" comes in. A million HD DVD devices by 2007 Q1? Now Toshiba itself says maybe by the end of the 2007.

Quote:

We'll see ...I'm sure you'll be eating crow and making more excuses on the day LGF announces HD DVD support. You'll rebut with silly numbers on studios or ce vendors. I'll remember your "prophetic" comments here. LGF moving to VC-1 is a huge flag. They could have stuck with MPEG or used AVC like Disney has on a title or two. But you're too blind to see that VC-1 means they plan to target both platforms with one encode.

So do you like Ketchup or something more spicy with your crow. I aim to please

Oookay. So still waiting for Lionsgate to go neutral nine months later. Somehow, I don't think that's going to happen anytime in the foreseeable future, do you? Especially since all of their recent releases have been AVC rather than VC-1.

Oh, and what's this? At this moment, 300 is ranked #5 on Amazon on Blu-ray. It's ranked #7 on HD DVD. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Murch predicting only a few pages ago in this thread that everybody would buy the HD DVD version because it had all those wonderful extras on them? Ah, here we are:

Quote:

Once again Warner lets the HD DVD version of a movie pwn the Blu-ray verison.

http://dvd.ign.com/articles/793/793048p1.html

Note these HD DVD advantages

Exclusive to HD DVD Game Vengeance and Valor: Lead More Spartan Warriors into Battle Against Xerxes' Forces and Test Your Combat-Hardened Knowledge of Tactics and Strategy

PICK YOUR FAVORITE SCENES: Assemble Your Favorite Clips and Create Your Own Montage

WEB-ENABLED FEATURES: Cool Mobile Downloads

Ouch...I guarantee you that 300 will sell more HD DVD copies.

Yes, it's a real pummelling the Blu-ray version is enduring, isn't it, Murch?
  • Reply 2297 of 4650
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Create your own clip montage? Cool Mobile Downloads? That's gold. Kudos Kolchak.

From the last page of the thread, I see that
    • Blu-Ray scratch resistance won't matter because consumers won't understand it

• on the other hand, the difference between strong and extra-strong DRM matters

so presumably consumers understand more about DRM than scratches?
  • Reply 2298 of 4650
    Quote:

Oh, and what's this? At this moment, 300 is ranked #5 on Amazon on Blu-ray. It's ranked #7 on HD DVD. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Murch predicting only a few pages ago in this thread that everybody would buy the HD DVD version because it had all those wonderful extras on them?

Now you ARE sure thats SALES RANK arnt you? because we all know thats the only thing that counts, until murch discounts it.

OR wait until he turns around again and claims that sales rank on amazon means nothing but somehow tries to claim that 300 on HD-DVD is outselling blu-ray via an antimatter RDF wave modulator.

again I say

STREWTH!
  • Reply 2299 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gon View Post

Create your own clip montage? Cool Mobile Downloads? That's gold. Kudos Kolchak.

From the last page of the thread, I see that
    • Blu-Ray scratch resistance won't matter because consumers won't understand it

• on the other hand, the difference between strong and extra-strong DRM matters

so presumably consumers understand more about DRM than scratches?

Of course consumers don't understand scratches, they are such an intangible ethereal thing for most people to be able to even grasp the concept of them!
  • Reply 2300 of 4650
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Now you ARE sure thats SALES RANK arnt you? because we all know thats the only thing that counts, until murch discounts it.

OR wait until he turns around again and claims that sales rank on amazon means nothing but somehow tries to claim that 300 on HD-DVD is outselling blu-ray via an antimatter RDF wave modulator.

again I say

STREWTH!

I think murch is a decent guy and seems intelligent buy all other standards. But on this issue, I really almost feel bad for him.

Here we have a guy that that bet on HD-DVD. For months now he's been confronted by growing evidence that Blu-Ray is winning and winning solidly. At each turn, he holds out hope by pointing to upcoming events at what their impact will be. But these events either don't materialize, or fail to have the impact predicted.

Then, because he wants HD-DVD to win, he begins presenting "cherry picked intelligence." Sales ranks, retailer-specific data, and narrow date ranges for sales, the PS-3 doesn't count, attach rates, etc.

But that doesn't stand up to overall disc sales, so he moves on. The next step is making hypothetical arguments. "If product A has X and costs Y and product B has X and costs Y=30%, who will win?" This is quickly dismantled too...by the specter of reality.

The next is to attack Blu-Ray on technical grounds, even though he just got done saying that the capabilities are essentially the same. Even if he can prove a slight HD-DVD advantage in this area (and I don't think he can), it doesn't matter. Consumers aren't responding to any perceived differences.

In the end, I imagine hmurchison banging his head against the screen, screaming "why? why!?" Poor guy, he just doesn't see it. <hmurch> I mean logically, HD-DVD should be winning! It's got a good number of studios supporting it and if 3 of the the 5 BD studios bail (gonna happen anytime now...believe me!), it will be all even! The players are cheaper. There are cooler features! Oh, and Universal players will be the future. Just you guys watch. </hmurch>

But then reality kicks in, and he disappears for a few days. Nice guy, but I think he may be bipolar.