iPhone file transfers, internet connections

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
is it safe to assume i will be able to trasfer word files between the iPhone and a mac without an internet connection? i understand the iPhone can open word docs attached to emails. can i transfer word files to the iPhone via bluetooth/usb/airport. i don't have internet at home, only the office. can i take my laptop home, have docs emailed to my iphone, then transfer them to my mac? and the reverse?

maybe this is obvious. if so, my apologies.

could i use the iPhone's internet connection on a laptop at home? (i know it would be slow, but is it possible)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Nevermind
  • Reply 2 of 15
    gdconwaygdconway Posts: 71member
    I'm not sure I understand. Sounds like you're being dismissive of my concern. I just read some user comments at MacDaily News that indicated iPhone users were unable to transfer Word and PDF docs to the iPhone without using email. Is any iPhone user able to accomplish this relatively simple task?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gdconway View Post

is it safe to assume i will be able to trasfer word files between the iPhone and a mac without an internet connection?

No, there is no file transfer for the iPhone (yet).....other than what you are sync-ing via iTunes.

Quote:

i understand the iPhone can open word docs attached to emails.

Open? You can VIEW word docs. You cannot edit them.

Quote:

can i transfer word files to the iPhone via bluetooth/usb/airport.

No, not as files themselves, you can't. (See sync-ing above).

Quote:

i don't have internet at home, only the office. can i take my laptop home, have docs emailed to my iphone, then transfer them to my mac? and the reverse?

Only via your email.

Quote:

could i use the iPhone's internet connection on a laptop at home? (i know it would be slow, but is it possible)?

No, you can't.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Based on nothing but speculation and hearsay... but I'm thinking this feature (file transfer) may show up with the release of Leopard. Or perhaps it's just wishful thinking
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

I'm not sure I understand. Sounds like you're being dismissive of my concern. I just read some user comments at MacDaily News that indicated iPhone users were unable to transfer Word and PDF docs to the iPhone without using email. Is any iPhone user able to accomplish this relatively simple task?

Dismissive of your concern?

That had nothing to do with the reason I said, "Nevermind."

Try not to get your panties in a bunch when people don't answer your question.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

Dismissive of your concern?

Try not to get your panties in a bunch when people don't answer your question.

If not dismissive then completely unhelpful. Now to point out the obvious: Why wouldn't he get upset that you did not adequately answer his question when he specifically started this thread to ask them? Compare your one word reply with Jupiter's. Not everyone is familiar with the iPhone's every technical detail.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    Fine. We'll play this game.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

If not dismissive then completely unhelpful.

I wasn't trying to help. I was simply in the wrong thread.

Quote:

Why wouldn't he get upset that you did not adequately answer his question when he specifically started this thread to ask them?

Because sometimes not all questions get answered. Fortunately for him, it did.

Quote:

Compare your one word reply with Jupiter's.

I am right now.

Quote:

Not everyone is familiar with the iPhone's every technical detail.

Nor am I. Which is why I replied, "Nevermind."

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Acutally, that's what I thought all along. But I think instead of just saying "Nevermind", if you said, "Oops, wrong thread", or something like that, it would have avoided the misunderstanding.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Too much pride, Jup.

Too much pride...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    gdconwaygdconway Posts: 71member
    I tried to respond to your "nevermind" post politely and clearly indicated that I wasn't sure what the point of your post was. And now you've still got to be a smartass instead of offer an apology for the confusion you caused or simply remain silent. Next time, if you don't have something constructive to post, why not refrain from posting?

As for the other posts, I appreciate the informative- if disappointing- responses. Not being able to transfer Word/PDF/etc files via USB or bluetooth-and at least read them- seems like a strange omission.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

I tried to respond to your "nevermind" post politely and clearly indicated that I wasn't sure what the point of your post was. And now you've still got to be a smartass instead of offer an apology for the confusion you caused or simply remain silent. Next time, if you don't have something constructive to post, why not refrain from posting

Apologize?!?!

Okay... I'm sure Guybrush is deeply sorry that YOU made an obviously unwarranted snap judgement about his one word message instead of just nicely asking him to explain what he meant... It was you who incorrectly assumed he was being "dismissive" of your concern.

Taking him at his word he wasn't being "dismissive" ... but *I* know that (now) *I* simply couldn't care less of your concerns past, present or future.

Apologize ... thats a good one..
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Next time, if you don't have something constructive to post, why not refrain from posting?

Constructive, huh?

I'm sure you clearly understand the meaning of the word.

This is coming from a guy who uses these forums, much less the internet, only during his office hours. I'm sure you're very constructive while at work. Remind me not to apply to your firm in the future.

Then again, browsing AppleInsider all day wouldn't be half bad...
  • Reply 13 of 15
    jammjamm Posts: 37member
    Good god. CHILL! Both of you!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member