6th Gen iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I won't be getting an iPhone, at least not anytime soon, which means I have no way of enjoying the new iPod which is built into it. Does anybody know if Apple Inc. has any plans on creating a 6th Gen standalone iPod using the same interface and OS technology as the iPhone? I hate to think that Apple just shut me out of the iPod world just because I refuse to use AT&T. Surely they're going to maintain two product lines with both using the same insanely cool full screen-touch interface!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Jobs said as much during the employee pep-talk:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...n-the-pipeline
  • Reply 2 of 15
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Where in that report does it mention anything about a 6G video iPod?
  • Reply 3 of 15
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    The speech talks about OS X on an iPod. It is only a one-sentence reference, but it's there.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    s.metcalfs.metcalf Posts: 972member
    Well it is the logical next step for video iPod. I'm saving my cash until it comes.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    t.o.mt.o.m Posts: 8member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by michaelb View Post

Jobs said as much during the employee pep-talk:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...n-the-pipeline

i would have never noticed a one liner myself... blame it on the ADD ..
  • Reply 6 of 15
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    I think we will see the 6th generation iPods at MWSF2008 and they will be more than just a widescreen video iPod. The improvements I see are:

1 - runs OS X Leopard

2 - uses the multi-touch technology found in the iPhone.

3 - ability to read/view ebooks, Pages documents, spreadsheets, Keynotes, etc.

4 - ability to view content on iPod disk used as storage.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    daffy_duckdaffy_duck Posts: 248member
    I predict the 6th gen iPod will make the Zune look like a cereal box toy.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Daffy_Duck View Post

I predict the 6th gen iPod will make the Zune look like a cereal box toy.

The Gen 1 iPod does that!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    I don't think a lot of people are going to be happy with a touch screen iPod. The reason being is that you will have to look at it to change songs, skip forward or backwards or change the volume. I enjoy being able to do these things while relaxing or working around the house. I don't want to have to look at it every time to change something.

Be careful what you wish for...
  • Reply 10 of 15
    cato988cato988 Posts: 307member
    all they have to do is put a virtual scroll wheel where they usually are and whall
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I don't think a lot of people are going to be happy with a touch screen iPod. The reason being is that you will have to look at it to change songs, skip forward or backwards or change the volume. I enjoy being able to do these things while relaxing or working around the house. I don't want to have to look at it every time to change something.

Be careful what you wish for...

Rocker switch on the side to skip forward and backwards through tracks. Wired remote to operate when it's in your pocket. I never try to operate my iPod without looking at it anyway but that's just me.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    best case scenario, the 6th gen ipod should be the iphone minus the phone. with wifi, safari, etc. and with a hard drive. 100 gb? 80? flash hd? who knows.

and at the very least i am expecting just the ipod part of the iphone. no safari, no wifi, no widgets, etc. just the widescreen ipod with the multitouch thing.

bluetooth headphones... maybe not yet.

support for flash games would be interesting but i'm not keeping my hopes up. most likely apple wants you to keep buying their games from the itunes store.

6th gen ipod has the potential to be the next newton. i think some basic pda stuff like note taking has to be there. it's the ultimate post-it.

how about the camera? anybody think the 6th gen ipod will include one? nowadays with the high Megapixels cameras that are available, i sometimes use my camera to scan documents and take them with me. the resolution is very acceptable. of course viewing the pics on the small screen and zooming in is always a pain. but with a respectable camera and the iphone's screen, and its zooming in/out capabilities, it has the potential to be on a whole 'nother level.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by monkeyastronaut View Post

how about the camera? anybody think the 6th gen ipod will include one? nowadays with the high Megapixels cameras that are available, i sometimes use my camera to scan documents and take them with me. the resolution is very acceptable. of course viewing the pics on the small screen and zooming in is always a pain. but with a respectable camera and the iphone's screen, and its zooming in/out capabilities, it has the potential to be on a whole 'nother level.

No, the 6th gen iPod won't have a camera on it. The iPhone only reluctantly has a camera. There is also the issue that many employers and most federal buildings do not allow any devices with cameras. That is a limiting factor that I don't think Apple wants on it's media player.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    No camera, no internet, maybe bluetooth. I'm fairly confident that Apple knows the public expects a full screen ipod for the 6G. If they don't deliver, there'll be a lot of upset fanboys out there.

What do you guys think about flash memory? Apple was taking a big leap when they came out with the nano, as flash memory was still relatively expensive back then, but if I remember correctly, they cornered the market by making a special deal with providers. Does anyone think they'll be able to do this with SSD technology? I feel as though a 30 GB flash iPod is very likely. Apple may not be the biggest company, but they make deals that push the industry forward. Besides, flash ipods are statistically more reliable than hard drive ipods by at least 10-15%; wouldn't it make sense to make a more reliable iPod and not have to replace as many? They could make a smaller, more reliable unit with longer battery life, especially without all of the wireless functions of the iPhone, if they embraced SSD technology. Plus, less moving parts with a fullscreen would arguably make the new iPod even more reliable, not that I've seen many broken clickwheels in my day.

My rendition of the 6G iPod:

-Glass touchscreen display that takes up full face of iPod, NO VIRTUAL SCROLL WHEEL (terrible idea).

-OSX

-No wireless, except maybe bluetooth

-Charge and sync through USB

-Maybe all-flash memory, maybe larger capacity hard-drives, maybe a choice between the two

-Probably a couple of rocker switches on the side/top

-Probably new headphones with in-line clicky switch thingy (and mic for recording notes?)

-Even thinner than current iPod

-Longer battery life

I can't really think of much else, but I think this is a reasonable appraisal of what apple might do.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    iPhone changed the game for me. I no longer need my entire library with me, a nano would suit me fine. I'll be looking out for the 2G iPhone, and I'll use my 5G until it comes out. I'd assume--unless it's much cheaper--that future iPhones will cannabalize full-size iPod sales.