Buying new PC, need help with the processor (AMD vs Intel)

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi guys,

Not sure if this is the right forum, don't visit here a lot, but it's the only

tech forum I'm a member of

I'm doubting between 2 Dells (don't think I can get better bang for my buck in Europe)

There's the Inspiron 530 and the 531.

I have configured the Inspiron 530 with an Intel Core 2 Duo E6320 and it costs 952 Euros.

The 531 has an AMD Live Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+ and costs 819 Euros, even with the 5600+ it's still at 891 Euros.

Other than the processor both systems are configured the same (I suppose mobo's are different too?)

Now I'm wondering, is the Intel worth the extra price? My main concerns are being future-proof (I'm hoping it'll last as long as my current P4 1.6Ghz which is 4 years old now) and power consumption. If the Intel has much lower power output it'll pay itself back I guess...

But i wanna hear the thoughts of people that know more about this

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    stetwinstetwin Posts: 13member
    What are you wanting the PC to do? (what is it going to be used for).
  • Reply 2 of 29
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteTwin View Post

What are you wanting the PC to do? (what is it going to be used for).

A few RTS games, lots of listening to music, surfing the web, watching a few vids (not that much though) and to run the software I need for school (programming software for Java, C++ etc, Maple, Solid Edge 3D rendering (not sure I'll need that), LabView)

Nothing really heavy
  • Reply 3 of 29
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 4 of 29
    Have you looked at the mac range, i know its pricy but the offer some nice stuff and you do get what you pay for,

Other then that i dont suppose either would perform at a drastically different level, although i've always found my PC's with AMD chip sets to perform that little bit better i guess its up to you, have you had a look at HP, sony and Acer? or Alien ware even? Just see who offer the most bang for the cheapest price
  • Reply 5 of 29
    iMac

Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon

Last Release September 06, 2006

Days Since Update 300 (Avg = 168)

Info above is from the mac buyers guide, word on other forums hints a release late this month or early next, meaning if u can wait until then you will get a new all singing all dancing iMac + a Free iPod Nano in there back to school offer,

I guess its all about how much you really need it, if you cant live that extra month without a computer then buy what you have been looking at (no doubt your heart is set on it anyway) but once the new iMac is released don?t look up what the new one is like because it will cause disappointment (partly the reason i cant bring my self to buy a macbook because a big update is expected soon) just do what you feel is right, as long as it runs what you want it to then either machine will be a fine buy

Just remember that Vista will be the pre-loaded OS on your new Dell, i would say give it a google because even "hardcore" windows people are saying its not as user-friendly as they had hoped - a friend i work with has used windows all his life and he bought it for his Sony Vaio and he?s lost his sound and hotkey functionality and it doesnt support a lot of his games,

/Ste
  • Reply 6 of 29
    I'd love an iMac, but they are so outdated right now it's not even funny anymore, I tried to configure a 17" iMac:

2.0GHz

2 gigs RAM

250GB HD

X1600 with 128MB

The Dell:

1.86GHz (but the processor is better in every other way I think)

2gigs Ram

320GB HD

X1300 with 256MB

19 inch widescreen flatpanel

The Dell was €950, the iMac €1400

Mind you i get student discount on the iMac, and if I'd buy a monitor for the Dell elsewhere I'd save another 60 Euros or so on that one... perhaps the new iMacs will be better value but I need a new PC this month...
  • Reply 7 of 29
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    You are only comparing the price of the hardware. What about other things that are harder to compare? Like the user experience? Have you ever used OS X? A Mac will do many of the things that you want to do much better than any PC.

I will grant you that you will need Windows to do some of the stuff you want to do, which increases the Mac's price even more However, the iMac compares so poorly at the moment as it is on the brink of being updated. Who knows, maybe Apple will even replace the Mac Mini. Do you absolutely have to get your new computer this month?

I'd advise to wait as long as you can, and to seriously consider the benefits of OS X over Windows. I don't think the decision is that clear-cut.

One last thing:

The only differences between the processor in the iMac and the one in the Dell is that the one in the Dell has a faster FSB, and is cheaper.

The iMac has a Merom, and the Dell has a Conroe. Merom and Conroe actually use exactly the same architecture, there are just tighter manufacturing tolerances on the Merom in order to achieve lower power consumption.
  • Reply 8 of 29
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

You are only comparing the price of the hardware. What about other things that are harder to compare? Like the user experience? Have you ever used OS X? A Mac will do many of the things that you want to do much better than any PC.

I will grant you that you will need Windows to do some of the stuff you want to do, which increases the Mac's price even more

Well said. Plus, if you're a student, which you claim to be, you can probably pick up a windows license pretty cheap. There are some major advantages to having a mac.
  • Reply 9 of 29
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    Commenting on your original question, Intel over AMD. Right now Intel has just taken the multi-core processors in the right direction and AMD is not keeping up to well. AMD is just lagging behind but I wouldnt be surprised if they pulled something out of their bag soon to level the playing field with Intel.

Back to the discussion at hand, you will always pay more for a mac but trust me I just made the switch and have had my mac for only a week and Im pretty sure Im here to stay. Remember decisions in life arent always between good and bad, but, between good and better, and mac is the better choice, just my 2 cents for you there.
  • Reply 10 of 29
    I have used OSX yes, but not very extensively, just a few small things in stores and such.

I have used iTunes and Safari beta extensively though, and must say I wasn't convinced by either. I am willing to pay more for a Mac than fore a PC, but almost double is just insane. If the iMac would be like 1100 vs 950 for the Dell, I wouldn't doubt one second. Then again, my dad has Vista on his laptop and I don't like it at all... I must get a new computer in the first week of August the latest, because at the end of August I have an exam for which I need Maple, and my current PC is too slow for that. Chances the new iMac will be here before then are small I guess.
  • Reply 11 of 29
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    The Mac is worth the price. To get te equivelent of the apps on a PC would bring the cost to almost the same, and they would all be from different makers which would limit their interactivity; iLife shares everything everywhere, making creating anything you can dream of a breeze.

Try the Mac, and use Parallels to run your games (yes, you can have both worlds). The Mac side will win you over, I am sure, unless you are so completely corrupted already by Windoze that you cannot appreciate that computers can actually be fun to use and highly productive.
  • Reply 12 of 29
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

I have used iTunes and Safari beta extensively though, and must say I wasn't convinced by either.

I'm not surprised, they are both pretty rubbish (especially the Safari beta) on Windows. The Mac versions are very good.
  • Reply 13 of 29
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    As much as I like OS X, I believe the needs Lorre lists are better fulfilled with Windows and custom hardware.

I'm echoing everyone else on the initial question: get Intel. Potential savings with AMD are too small to give up the Intel benefits.

See this chart: http://www.techpowerup.com/img/07-05-15/Inte.jpg

In my opinion, the superior processor picks after Intel's July 22 price drop are E4400, E6750 and the quadcore Q6600. Based on just the chart, E6750 and Q6600 shine, but what the chart doesn't tell you is that the "bottom-of-the-barrel" E4300/E4400 overclocks like crazy without touching the stock cooler. 45nm parts, both dual- and quadcore are expected in late 07/early 08, so right now I'd take the cheapest part, gently overclock it, and consider upgrading next summer at earliest if by then I feel more speed would be useful.

For any kind of gaming you should go for at least somewhat better graphics than X1300/X1600. X1950 Pro with 256MB is well below 150€ in retail and it kicks ass. No reason to go with anything less than that unless you are getting a very good package deal with poor graphics and plan to replace them at some point.

Dell is reasonably cheap, but have you tried going to some local system builder businesses armed with a list of (minimum) specifications, and asked for an offer? There's a lot of hidden savings in paying for only the exact parts you want, and accessing newly released parts before they trickle into fixed configurations. I think you might be pleasantly surprised.
  • Reply 14 of 29
    So, let's say I buy a Dell after July 22nd, think I could upgrade to a 45nm processor on a later date? the 4000 series are mobile and 6000 series is desktop right?
  • Reply 15 of 29
    l33r0yl33r0y Posts: 94member
    Unless you buy a Ultrasharp Dell monitor for the PC, the iMac would have a substantially better quality display (due to the panel type - 8bit IPS panel).

Most bundled/cheap monitors from Dell (the ones with model number starting with 'E') all use the TN+Film 6bit panel normally used on laptops.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    aisiaisi Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

The 4000 series are mobile and 6000 series is desktop right?

E-series parts = Conroe = desktop

T-series parts = Merom = laptop

L-series parts = low power

The E4000-series are desktop CPUs with 2MB of L2 cache (instead of 4MB) and a 800MHz front side bus (instead of 1066 or 1333 MHz).
  • Reply 17 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AISI View Post

E-series parts = Conroe = desktop

T-series parts = Merom = laptop

L-series parts = low power

The E4000-series are desktop CPUs with 2MB of L2 cache (instead of 4MB) and a 800MHz front side bus (instead of 1066 or 1333 MHz).

Aha, thanks for that info!

Sigh... things used to be so simple... P4 3.0GHz > P4 2.8GHz

Not anymore...

I'd buy this monitor I think, looks good enough:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-5629
  • Reply 18 of 29
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    If your set on getting a pc and simply want advice on cpu, I'd check out this article from anandtech. While Core 2 chips from Intel are generally faster than AMD's offerings, AMD is compettive at lower price points. Check it out.
  • Reply 19 of 29
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Intel + nVidia is the way to go. Not just because I am a fanboi. Take the Core2, and your nVidia card, and please install aftermarket air coolers. Then overclock Core2 to 2.8ghz, overclock moderately your nVidia 8 series. Only suckers run stock. Macs different situation. But for gaming and Winblows, overclock the CPU and nVidia. Get something like the Gigabyte motherboard. Gigabyte mobos and GPUs rock my world. Well, tried as little as possible to sound like a fanboi, did not work it seems. Heh.
  • Reply 20 of 29
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

If your set on getting a pc and simply want advice on cpu, I'd check out this article from anandtech. While Core 2 chips from Intel are generally faster than AMD's offerings, AMD is compettive at lower price points. Check it out.

That said, 65nm, superb overclocking potential, and AMD-ATI being in a bit of limbo at the moment, I cannot recommend AMD anymore. My AMD64 Athlon Venice3000+ 1.8ghz oc'ed on Zalman air cooler to 2.16ghz though is awesome for a two-year-old CPU, and games Looooove the AMD Athlon. But in late 2007 and early 2008, IntelCore2 [Conroe] is almost impossible to choose to not buy if you are getting a new PC. My 2 cents (again).