Buying advice for MBP

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
About to buy a new 15" MBP

After having problems with previous Apple purchases, trying to make this one as pain-free as possible.

One question is whether to buy at Apple Retail (where I can open it just after buying it and check for, yellow cast, etc.) or from Apple Online (where hopefully the merchandise will be fresher and less likely to have the yellow cast)

Also, I have identified the following issues to watch out for:

?Yellowish cast

?Warped case, causing top not to sit flushed with bottom

?Stuck pixels

Is there anything else I should be checking for?

thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    If your buying a model that you can pick up then why not just buy it at the Apple store if it is fairly close, id consider anything within 2 hours to be a worth while drive. As to the things that you have listed I cant think of anything that has come up and is bother some with the new line of MBP, besides that shipping thing with online and the 7200 rom drive. So yeah Apple store if one is close by and you can buy the model you want from them.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    From a purely financial standpoint you would be better off buying from PowerMax (where I've bought all my computers for the last nine years) or Small Dog Electronics.

Both are Apple Authorized Resellers.

They don't charge sales tax which allows you to use the savings for more RAM, Apple Care, external HD, etc.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Cake View Post

From a purely financial standpoint you would be better off buying from PowerMax (where I've bought all my computers for the last nine years) or Small Dog Electronics.

Both are Apple Authorized Resellers.

They don't charge sales tax which allows you to use the savings for more RAM, Apple Care, external HD, etc.

Cake gives good advice, concerning the sales tax issue. I almost always recommend people consider the Apple refurbs as well for substantial savings.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I think the 15 in. Macbook Pro is an excellent buy. I agree with the people above, about ordering it with no sales tax. But then again, if you are a student of any kind, you can get the Student Discount ($200 on MBP) + the Free iPod Nano! Thats almost $400 right there. So that might actually be cheaper than going to another website. If you have the money...I would highly recommend getting the Apple Care and Protection Plan. It has come in very helpful with my iBook. I payed $250 for the Protection Plan, and one incident my hard drive broke, and it would have cost over $300 to fix it, but it was free with the protection plan! And even if you take excellent care of your Mac, there may be a hardware failure or something, and without the protection plan, you could be paying a lot more. I am thinking about upgrading from my iBook to a Macbook Pro sometime around Christmas, so I will have it for when I go to college, and plus it will have Leopard pre-installed on it by then. So do you think it would be wise to upgrade from a 12 in. iBook to a 15 in. Macbook Pro for College?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mlondonmlondon Posts: 26member
    Frankly, less interested in saving money... more interested in getting a machine without problems.

I do live near an Apple store, so leaning toward that route, as I can see the machine and try to swap it on the spot if there are issues vs. having to ship it back, etc...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlondon View Post

Frankly, less interested in saving money... more interested in getting a machine without problems.

I do live near an Apple store, so leaning toward the route, as I can see the machine and try to swap it on the spot if there are issues vs. having to ship it back, etc...

Yeah, there is a lot to be said for that, too, especially if you've had previous issues. That said, I think either route you are likely to get equal quality.