AOL 8.0 for Windows sports OS X-like GUI

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
From MacNN:

Internally-released beta versions AOL 8.0 for Microsoft Windows closely resemble the Mac OS X version of AOL's client software, according to reports. The latest interface includes pastel colors and more fluid interface operation. In related news, Apple recently acknowledged that Mac.com users can log in to AOL's instant messaging service using Mac.com login credentials.

Thoughts???

Anyone have a screenshot?? More details??

-------------

RosettaStoned

[ 06-11-2002: Message edited by: RosettaStoned ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by RosettaStoned:

<strong>

Thoughts???

</strong><hr></blockquote>

How I hate when people just copy and paste stories from news/rumor sites and add "Thoughts?" or "Discuss." at the end.

What are your thoughts??

J :cool:
  • Reply 2 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamie:

<strong>

How I hate when people just copy and paste stories from news/rumor sites and add "Thoughts?" or "Discuss." at the end.

What are your thoughts??

J :cool: </strong><hr></blockquote>

Lighten up, man
  • Reply 3 of 24
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I wonder if the toolbar is as big as on AOL for OS X. That thing is huge!
  • Reply 4 of 24
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member

<strong>Apple recently acknowledged that Mac.com users can log in to AOL's instant messaging service using Mac.com login credentials. ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Here's what I am thinking about this particular bit; By letting Apple fully use its aim protocols and what not with the forthcoming iChat, AOL will discontinue development of its AIM client for OS X. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, maybe it will let them focus more on the actual AOL client. It doesn't bother me any, I just wish I could use iChat now!
  • Reply 5 of 24
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member

<strong>

Anyone have a screenshot?? More details??

</strong><hr></blockquote>

In the process of downloading it, if I get around to it I'll see if I can get a screenshot up.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by MCQ:

<strong>

In the process of downloading it, if I get around to it I'll see if I can get a screenshot up.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Big download is it?

J :cool:
  • Reply 7 of 24
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by DanMacMan:

[QB]

Here's what I am thinking about this particular bit; By letting Apple fully use its aim protocols and what not with the forthcoming iChat, AOL will discontinue development of its AIM client for OS X./QB]<hr></blockquote>

This could happen, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by DanMacMan:

<strong>

Here's what I am thinking about this particular bit; By letting Apple fully use its aim protocols and what not with the forthcoming iChat, AOL will discontinue development of its AIM client for OS X. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, maybe it will let them focus more on the actual AOL client. It doesn't bother me any, I just wish I could use iChat now!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Fine, AOL's official OSX AIM client sucks. Until iChat, use Adium, it is far superior to the official OSX AIM client. I will probably leave Adium when iChat comes out, but only because it will have access to AOL's main AIM server which means it will be more full-featured than Adium which relies on the third-party AIM server.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    Any idea how we log in to AIM using our Mac.com credentials? Doesn't seem to be working for me. What happens if your Mac.com account is the same as an already registered AIM account?
  • Reply 10 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by eVo:

<strong>Any idea how we log in to AIM using our Mac.com credentials? Doesn't seem to be working for me. What happens if your Mac.com account is the same as an already registered AIM account?</strong><hr></blockquote>First of all, you need to use an official AIM client. I believe Adium, Proteus, and Fire will not be supported.

Second, use "[email protected]" as your login and use your regular iTools password.
  • Reply 11 of 24
    evoevo Posts: 198member
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>First of all, you need to use an official AIM client. I believe Adium, Proteus, and Fire will not be supported.

Second, use "[email protected]" as your login and use your regular iTools password.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tried that, and OS X AIM wouldn't let me use the @ in my login name.
  • Reply 12 of 24
    When was the last time you upgraded your AIM client? You need a fairly recent build. It works for me with version 4.5.651 that was released May 6th.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    I did that, a got signed on, but i cant talk to anyone... even myself... i can talk to smarterchild tho, weird...

EmAn IMed me a while back, still dono how he did that...
  • Reply 14 of 24
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    Obviously, only d00ds with the latest, Mac.com-compatible AIM clients can see and message you; it goes both ways, my friend. Your buddies running OS 9 won't be able to see you, because there's no Mac.com compatibility with that client (and probably never will be, if AOL obeys the canon set forth by Steve). Windows users must be running 4.8 to see and communicate with you, as well.
  • Reply 15 of 24
    I would say it is more a take off of Windows XP, thus in turn is a take off on Mac OS X so it is sort of a combination of the two...but more so Windows XP...
  • Reply 16 of 24
    stevesteve Posts: 523member
    [quote]Originally posted by the_unknown_source:

<strong>I would say it is more a take off of Windows XP, thus in turn is a take off on Mac OS X so it is sort of a combination of the two...but more so Windows XP...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Any screenshots you care to share?
  • Reply 17 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by Jon Rubinstein:

<strong>

Any screenshots you care to share? </strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 18 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by the_unknown_source:

<strong></strong><hr></blockquote>Ah, but that's AOL 5.1.x for Mac, not 8.0 for Windows.

I thought AOL for Windows had quite a different interface, especially this 8.0 version -- or is it that the Windows version has now adopted the Mac interface?
  • Reply 19 of 24
    [quote]Originally posted by starfleetX:

<strong>Ah, but that's AOL 5.1.x for Mac, not 8.0 for Windows.

I thought AOL for Windows had quite a different interface, especially this 8.0 version -- or is it that the Windows version has now adopted the Mac interface?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that the Windows version sports the Mac interface (this one I have the screen shot of). Pretty ugly huh?
  • Reply 20 of 24
    fotnsfotns Posts: 301member
    It took a little searching, but I found a screenshot of AOL 8.0 for Windows. It does not look as "aqua" on the PC, but it does sport the pastel look. Sorry about the huge size, I am not hosting the file and I didn't know if I could scale it down.

[ 06-16-2002: Message edited by: FotNS ]</p>