Numbers?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
What has happend to Numbers? I've been waiting for this App to be released it seems like forever.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I have no clue what is going through Apple's head when it comes to consumer productivity apps. Spreadsheet capability in iWork is 18 months overdue as is a update to Pages to make it a usable word processor instead of just a page layout app.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Null.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Null.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

What has happend to Numbers? ...

Let's get this straight. Numbers is a rumor. You should not make purchasing decisions based on rumors. There are several spreadsheet which are currently available and should do a great job for you. The include the venerable Mariner Calc and the more recent Tables. The latter is updated every few weeks.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I have no clue what is going through Apple's head when it comes to consumer productivity apps. Spreadsheet capability in iWork is 18 months overdue...

No. Spreadsheet capabilities are 7 years overdue. AppleWorks 6.0 was not an upgrade.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Let's get this straight. Numbers is a rumor. You should not make purchasing decisions based on rumors. There are several spreadsheet which are currently available and should do a great job for you. The include the venerable Mariner Calc and the more recent Tables. The latter is updated every few weeks.

Tables looks pretty nice. It's now got solid competition from NeoOffice, and needs to read and write to ODF and the older AppleWorks formats (these can be read-only.)
  • Reply 8 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They are preparing the multi-touch UI for the Mac tablet Sabastian
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Null.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Let's get this straight. Numbers is a rumor.

So was the switch to Intel and the iPhone. What's your point? Everything Apple starts out as a rumor.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:

So was the switch to Intel and the iPhone.

And many other rumors remain just that--rumors. Getting one right every two years does not change my basic point. Basing purchasing decisions on rumors is dumb. Or you still holding out for the PowerBook G5?

Quote:

What's your point? Everything Apple starts out as a rumor.

That would not be correct. You're not telling me that you actually expected the original iMac or the iPod, are you?
  • Reply 12 of 14
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I've been guessing that the next iWork is dependent on Leopard for a lot of features and will not be out before October. I think Numbers has a high probability, but would prefer to see a full Apple Works replacement - including a FileMaker Jr. Might happen if Steve J has an announcement when Leopard is released, otherwise we might have to wait until MWSF.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

That's built on top of a sub notebook and the screen itself will be multi touch with the option of using a stylus and I'll be able to doodle on my Keynote slides and Spreadsheets too after using the really cool new keyboard and trackpad to create them!

And when you are finished, you snap off that keyboard, and go get back on the road.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    trobertstroberts Posts: 702member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I have no clue what is going through Apple's head when it comes to consumer productivity apps. Spreadsheet capability in iWork is 18 months overdue as is a update to Pages to make it a usable word processor instead of just a page layout app.

Rumor has it that Pages is getting modes with one focused on word processing and the other on page layouts. If true, then Apple is moving to stage two of three.

Stage 1: start application off with what is common to both word processing and desktop publishing.

Stage 2: create "modes" to separate features specific to word processing and desktop publishing giving the impression of using individual applications.

Stage 3: break one of the "modes" off into its own application. My bet is the desktop publishing mode will become the new application.