Tired of crappy reviews from...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
techies who don't even have an iPhone or have used one. Head over to cnet and read some of the reviews...it really is kind of sad to see these guys giving it such a bad name. It really bugged me when a person who hasn't used one yet said something along the lines of "it's impossible to type without a keyboard..."

Who else is tired of these crappy reviews? I would have no problem with it if the people actually had/extensively used them, this just hits a nerve though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    David Pogue, Walt Mossberg and a few others who had the iPhone for several weeks are far more reliable reviewers and even though they had quibbles with it, they all thought it was outstanding.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Cnet and to many other tech sites tend to be MS fanboi meeting places, the iPhone and other Apple products threaten to destroy their very existence.

Show me a person who hates or bashes an Apple product and 9 times out of 10 its a person who hasn't even tried or spent any real time with that product. Once you go Mac you never go bac.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow Slayer 26 View Post

techies who don't even have an iPhone or have used one. Head over to cnet and read some of the reviews...it really is kind of sad to see these guys giving it such a bad name. It really bugged me when a person who hasn't used one yet said something along the lines of "it's impossible to type without a keyboard..."

Who else is tired of these crappy reviews? I would have no problem with it if the people actually had/extensively used them, this just hits a nerve though.

I am tired of Apple only letting 2-3 apple suckups review equipment, I am tired of having no hard technical info from reviews in the Journal and Times and only ad copy re-worked. I dont want i-Bashing, but I would love for a technical reviewer, someone who does controlled tests, and real comparisons -- not just opinion-- to review a pre-release Apple toy.

I am a big Apple fan but someone PLEASE show me an example of them being negative about ANYTHING apple does...like DRM, over-priced LCDs, obsurdly over-priced BT headset for the iphone, no stereo BT in a $600 phone, the fact that you can not move music files on and off of the ipod in finder/wxplorer, so to use your iPod as a music backup device, you have to have everything on it twice or buy 3rd party software that is all-but-a-hack...comeon they love the milk and honey, but ignore the bee stings and cow manure.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Here are a couple of nice reviews from people that have actual iPhones:

Engadget

MobileBurn

Brighthand
  • Reply 5 of 9
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    I'd add Stuff Magazine's review as well.

They're a pretty mainstream gradget/tech magazine in the UK who are very familiar with all the latest mobile phone technology across the world.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Quote:

" . . . show me an example of them being negative about ANYTHING apple does . . . "

What degree of negativity do you require?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Anandtech has an extensive, thorough, technically sophisticated review.

I don't see the advantage to me, as a consumer, to have impartial reviews before a piece of equipment comes out, and it doesn't surprise me that a manufacturer would want the early notices to be as positive as possible.

Once the goods are in the wild, anyone can have at it (as has happened in the case of the iPhone) and I'm free to reach my conclusions based on sources I trust.

Anandtech's review, for what it's worth, is in keeping with most of the tech-savy, no axe to grind reviews I've read: game changing phone with miles of potential that has some draw-backs and limitations in the here and now. Some business users might do well to steer clear, everybody else have fun if you got the scratch, because the iPhone defines what a such a device should be from here on out.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I always wait for the Ars review. For years it has been the most unbiased source for me. After reading it I decided to wait for 2G--even though Ars gave it 8/10.

The reviews don't matter though, iPhone is a runaway hit. Haters couldn't muck it up if they tried...and they are trying.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    The consensus has pretty much spoken and the iPhone in it's first incarnation has better UI than %90 of other phones of its ilk.

Is it perfect? No ..but for a 1st generation Apple product in a new field it's an outstanding product that is going to "sweeten" with age.

It's looking like Apple will indeed hit the 10 million iPhone goal quite easily by end of 2008. I'll have one by then.

As for Cnet..I never listen to what those Bozos say.