Is Everyone at MSNBC This Dumb?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19614050

OMG! It broke! And he had to wait for a call! from Apple service! Perhaps it says something that Apple had to investigate the issue....as in "this never happens."

I mean really...shit breaks. It's an electronic device. I will say that ATT's policy is is bullshit. If they sold it to him, it should have been replaced...no restocking fee and no questions asked.

But the Drudge headline was "IPhone breaks in only four days." Nice. Fucking Matt Drudge.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    That's ok. According to one report, one million iPhone shave been activated since launch. The critic's complaints are going fall on deaf ears as one million salesmen show their friends their cool new device.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    Re:

I mean really...shit breaks. It's an electronic device.

If the kind of issues that have been reported on MSNBC and in the AppleInsider forums turn out to be a trend, it's pure disaster, for Apple, and Steve Jobs.

There's no excuse for Apple putting out a defective product, especially one that so many people depend on so heavily. We can live without our iPods, but no one I know can afford to plunk down major bucks for a product that stops functioning within 4 days of purchase, or doesn't properly receive phone calls.

As a huge fan of Apple products and an early adopter, this is a major disappointment, especially since I planned to get one soon. But even worse is what this could do to the reputation of Apple. While more profits and higher stock prices mean more money for R&D, and even better products down the road, a bad rep means lower stock prices and even the end of the Apple ascendency in the tech world.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

Re:

I

As a huge fan of Apple products and an early adopter, this is a major disappointment,

That one iPhone was defective and immediately replaced? If so, you're in for a life of disappointment. I feel sorry for you.
  • Reply 4 of 27
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Apple's stock price has no affect on how much cash Apple has on hand. A lower stock price does not mean lower R&D dollars, as the stock on the market has already been sold by Apple to the public. The changing stock price doesn't add to / withdraw from Apple's bank account.

As for the super-hot report? I've had my iPhone since Saturday and have been using just about every function since I bought it. Believe it or not, the phone function gets used the least. I believe I've had 4 calls since Saturday. Anyway, the phone doesn't get past mildly warm, so the MSNBC must've gotten a defective unit. Even, the MSNBC reporter notes their new unit is much cooler than the defective one they were using.
  • Reply 5 of 27
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Don't forget it's Microsoft->NBC. Those guy's were spreading so much disinformation the day the iPhone was released it wasn't even funny. We were sitting outside the door at the Apple store using their WiFi connection to read iPhone news, and when it came to MSNBC it was just tons of ridiculous false statements about the phone. It is totally pathetic to print erroneous disinformation rumors that stem from jealousy. Grow up Microsoft!
  • Reply 6 of 27
    MS has their own hardware issues to concentrate on resolving.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    BTM,

You beat me to it.

The Microsoft/NBC network should do specials on these stories:

UK repairers can't cope with Xbox 360 failure.The failure rate on Microsoft's games console is now so great that UK service centres won't take the device.....

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle2031171.ece

Microsoft Corp. on Thursday extended the warranty on its Xbox 360 to three years after too many of the video game consoles have succumbed to "general hardware failure.....

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine..._Warranty.html
  • Reply 8 of 27
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Re:

If the kind of issues that have been reported on MSNBC and in the AppleInsider forums turn out to be a trend, it's pure disaster, for Apple, and Steve Jobs.

There's no excuse for Apple putting out a defective product, especially one that so many people depend on so heavily. We can live without our iPods, but no one I know can afford to plunk down major bucks for a product that stops functioning within 4 days of purchase, or doesn't properly receive phone calls.

As a huge fan of Apple products and an early adopter, this is a major disappointment, especially since I planned to get one soon. But even worse is what this could do to the reputation of Apple. While more profits and higher stock prices mean more money for R&D, and even better products down the road, a bad rep means lower stock prices and even the end of the Apple ascendency in the tech world.

Huh? Are people on AI reporting dead iPhones?

It's one guy, one phone, and they replaced it. Getting all fired up about the death of Apple seems a little disproportionate, don't you think?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19614050

OMG! It broke! And he had to wait for a call! from Apple service! Perhaps it says something that Apple had to investigate the issue....as in "this never happens."

I mean really...shit breaks. It's an electronic device. I will say that ATT's policy is is bullshit. If they sold it to him, it should have been replaced...no restocking fee and no questions asked.

But the Drudge headline was "IPhone breaks in only four days." Nice. Fucking Matt Drudge.

I noticed this too. One iPhone breaks and it makes headlines in the Drudgereport. Well, now that the bar is set, the next time Sony, Microsoft or some other company releases some hyped up device, I hope to read about the first one breaking after a few days in the DrudgeReport.

Maybe he owns stock in Microsoft???
  • Reply 10 of 27
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Don't forget it's Microsoft->NBC. Those guy's were spreading so much disinformation the day the iPhone was released it wasn't even funny. We were sitting outside the door at the Apple store using their WiFi connection to read iPhone news, and when it came to MSNBC it was just tons of ridiculous false statements about the phone. It is totally pathetic to print erroneous disinformation rumors that stem from jealousy. Grow up Microsoft!

Excellent point! This is a fact, somebody ought to email Drudge about this so he can put in his headlines, "Apple's iPhone breaks after 4 days at company partly owned by Apple's biggest competitor, Microsoft."

Imagine if GM and NBC had a news channel called GMNBC and they bought a new state of the art Ford car and then reported the car 'broke' after 4 days. Most people would see this for what it is, an opportunity to bring negative media attention on a competitors product.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

Excellent point! This is a fact, somebody ought to email Drudge about this so he can put in his headlines, "Apple's iPhone breaks after 4 days at company partly owned by Apple's biggest competitor, Microsoft."

Add in:

And in unrelated news, Microsoft takes a 1 billion dollar charge to repair faulty x-box 360 units.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    In the article it mentions that the iPhone heated up during a call. I noticed that mine today felt hot while I was on a call. Has this happend with anyone else?
  • Reply 13 of 27
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HHansen726 View Post

In the article it mentions that the iPhone heated up during a call. I noticed that mine today felt hot while I was on a call. Has this happend with anyone else?

HH,

Yes. Mine got to a temperature of 911.6 degrees fahrenheit. I was able to light someone's cigarette, burn up a few twigs and fry an egg over easy --yummy!

Methinks from your posts that you may not cut out to be an iPhone owner. No sense in getting an ulcer over every little thing you "hear" or feel re this device.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    I thought killing the messenger was a right wing Republican specialty.

Actually, it's not just one repost of a problem with the iPhone, just one well placed article of a totally defective model.

If you look in the iPhone forums, on this website, you'll see that there are some other major issues.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76280

Again, having never even owned a PC, I'm obviously a fan of Apple. But, IMO, it was a mistake to launch the iPhone with any unresolved issues. Once word gets around that people are not only disappointed, but even perhaps feeling ripped off, that's bad news for Apple, and bad news for Apple fans.

I was planning on giving one to my Dad for his birthday, which is a month away. While he's intrigued by the iPhone, he is a PC guy. Since he's not a Mac loyalist it's a bit risky. at this point, to give him a phone that will cost him extra every month, and that may have issues to boot.

If any of you bought an LCD TV that didn't work as it should, you'd be properly steamed. Never having been a fan of Kool-Aid, I don't get why so many Mac people can't even consider the possibility that Apple screwed up. It's not as if there haven't been issues with other products lines in the family.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

If you look in the iPhone forums, on this website, you'll see that there are some other major issues.

So, according to you, Apple are to blame for an issue that affects EDGE phones in general?

The iPhone manual states this fact:

Quote:

Note: While iPhone is actively transferring data over EDGE—downloading a webpage, for example—you may not be able to receive calls. Incoming calls may go to voicemail.

Since I'm in Canada (and no-one has sent me an iPhone yet), I can't give you a page number.

See, also, this post at another forum, which I will quote here (for the terminally lazy):

Quote:

It's not a minor issue, but it's also not an iPhone issue. Every AT&T/T-Mobile device that uses GPRS/EDGE data (and Sprint/Verizon devices that use the 1X data network) have this situation apply to them. It's how the data networks work. At least the iPhone isn't a Class C device.

Quote:

The GPRS capability classes

Class A

Can be connected to GPRS service and GSM service (voice, SMS), using both at the same time. Such devices are known to be available today.

Class B

Can be connected to GPRS service and GSM service (voice, SMS), but using only one or the other at a given time. During GSM service (voice call or SMS), GPRS service is suspended, and then resumed automatically after the GSM service (voice call or SMS) has concluded. Most GPRS mobile devices are Class B.

Class C

Are connected to either GPRS service or GSM service (voice, SMS). Must be switched manually between one or the other service.

A true Class A device may be required to transmit on two different frequencies at the same time, and thus will need two radios. To get around this expensive requirement, a GPRS mobile may implement the dual transfer mode (DTM) feature. A DTM-capable mobile may use simultaneous voice and packet data, with the network coordinating to ensure that it is not required to transmit on two different frequencies at the same time. Such mobiles are considered to be pseudo Class A. Some networks are expected to support DTM in 2007.

(from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General..._Radio_Service)
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by audiopollution View Post

So, according to you, Apple are to blame for an issue that affects EDGE phones in general?

1) Apple claims that the experience is seamless and

2) like nothing else on the planet.

While I'm not familiar with the Edge issue in general, I'll certainly do some research. But again, I think you're missing the point. The expectations for this phone, some people, are behaving as though it were a gift from God, as in the iconic New York cover story, iGod.

But I have to wonder, and I'm including myself in this, are we turning into a nation of iSheep? With one million sold in one week, it kind of feels like it.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:

Re:

Slow down, Madam Alarmist. It's one phone. I've not heard of widespread issues. Your whole post is nothing but speculation. If the iphone fails in mass numbers, it's a disaster! Well no shit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

That one iPhone was defective and immediately replaced? If so, you're in for a life of disappointment. I feel sorry for you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

You know, I guess I'm having a "dumb" day, but that didn't occur to me. Good point. Personally I think M$ is shitting a brick right now. Did you see that Balmer interview? He's so uncomfortable it's actually funny. And then he makes up some bullshit stat to make it seem like the Zune is doing well. "We captured 25% of the high end market." Right...sure ya did. So that means that a full 75% of the "high end" market didn't buy a Zune...and 99% of the overall market didn't. Dishonest Monkey-Fool.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

It's one guy, one phone, and they replaced it. Getting all fired up about the death of Apple seems a little disproportionate, don't you think?

One would think.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I noticed this too. One iPhone breaks and it makes headlines in the Drudgereport. Well, now that the bar is set, the next time Sony, Microsoft or some other company releases some hyped up device, I hope to read about the first one breaking after a few days in the DrudgeReport.

Maybe he owns stock in Microsoft???

Just Drudge being Drudge. I read his site daily because it's a quick snapshot of headlines. Sometimes he just likes to inflame, though.

Quote:

I thought killing the messenger was a right wing Republican specialty.

What in the world does this have to do with politics? Secondly, no one is killing the messenger. We're saying the messenger is full of shit.

Quote:

Actually, it's not just one repost of a problem with the iPhone, just one well placed article of a totally defective model.

Uh...what's the difference? Oh and its not just defective...it's Totally Defective (TM).

Quote:

Isolated issues. I've heard of about three or four people out of one million. Not a bad failure rate.

Quote:

Again, having never even owned a PC, I'm obviously a fan of Apple. But, IMO, it was a mistake to launch the iPhone with any unresolved issues. Once word gets around that people are not only disappointed, but even perhaps feeling ripped off, that's bad news for Apple, and bad news for Apple fans.

All products...I repeat ALL have unresolved issues. Quality control is not an exact science. Show me 1000 or 10,000 iPhones with the same problem and then we'll talk.

Quote:

I was planning on giving one to my Dad for his birthday, which is a month away. While he's intrigued by the iPhone, he is a PC guy. Since he's not a Mac loyalist it's a bit risky. at this point, to give him a phone that will cost him extra every month, and that may have issues to boot.

Boo fucking hoo. Then don't buy it. The service is about the same cost as what I pay for my VZW withy mobile web. Oh, and my father has about 5 different RAZRs and 2 other brands within 6 months on Sprint. So failures do happen.

Quote:

If any of you bought an LCD TV that didn't work as it should, you'd be properly steamed. Never having been a fan of Kool-Aid, I don't get why so many Mac people can't even consider the possibility that Apple screwed up. It's not as if there haven't been issues with other products lines in the family.

You picked the wrong place to post that argument. I had 3 Zenith HDTVs in 6 months one time. Last year I bought one of the top rated Panasonic 42" Plasmas....over $2000.

I had to exchange it a month later because it developed a display problem. Does that mean Panasonic sucks and the model sucks? No. It just means I got a bad unit. It happens. And that was $2200. I'm not about to start bitching like a pubescent school girl, saying that "OMG, they totally should have like done better research like stuff. Whatever! I'm soooo over it.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    Quote:

1) Apple claims that the experience is seamless and

2) like nothing else on the planet.

While I'm not familiar with the Edge issue in general, I'll certainly do some research. But again, I think you're missing the point. The expectations for this phone, some people, are behaving as though it were a gift from God, as in the iconic New York cover story, iGod.

But I have to wonder, and I'm including myself in this, are we turning into a nation of iSheep? With one million sold in one week, it kind of feels like it.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

Read this quote, again:

Quote:

Class B

Can be connected to GPRS service and GSM service (voice, SMS), but using only one or the other at a given time. During GSM service (voice call or SMS), GPRS service is suspended, and then resumed automatically after the GSM service (voice call or SMS) has concluded. Most GPRS mobile devices are Class B.

The iPhone, being a Class B EDGE device, suspends the voice component when using EDGE data. When the data session is over, it seamlessly reconnects the voice component.

Before someone tries to be a smartypants: EDGE *is* GPRS. EDGE is also called EGPRS.

Maybe my BB is defective too. Screw RIM.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

At this point we have no way of knowing how many defective iPhones are out there. One, no biggie. 100,000 very big deal.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

HH,

Yes. Mine got to a temperature of 911.6 degrees fahrenheit. I was able to light someone's cigarette, burn up a few twigs and fry an egg over easy --yummy!

Methinks from your posts that you may not cut out to be an iPhone owner. No sense in getting an ulcer over every little thing you "hear" or feel re this device.

I expressed a concern, excuse me for doing that! I take offense at your remark that I am not cut out to be an iPhone owner. I put down hard earned money for it and am only concerned about something I noticed. There have been situations where phones got too hot and actually exploded. So excuse me for expressing a concern. You would probably be one to sue Apple if yours did just what I described and then wondered why no one had questioned it. I try to be careful instead of careless in both my actions and in what I say, unlike you apparently!