iLife 07 gone gold, iMac/iLife co-release ahead of leopard

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Mac Rumors is reporting that iLife 07 has gone gold and is ready for release. Do you think apple will release an updated iMac along with the new iLife ahead of Leopard to create a bigger buzz. Thats what I'm thinking right now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    A special event to herald the release of newly designed imacs and iLife would be 'event worthy' IMO. While they're at it they could show off iWork.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Mac Rumors is reporting that Mac Scoop is reporting. And I'm reporting that Mac Scoop is rarely accurate.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Didn't Steve Jobs say that iLife was going to bundled with leopard?
  • Reply 5 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Do you have a link or quote? Because I'm thinking that this would be actually news-worthy and we would have heard about it on AI.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    It was at WWDC last year. Not the most recent one, but when he first demoed Time machine. You'll have to watch the keynote. But it's real old news.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    easyceasyc Posts: 69member
    I can see iWork coming out with new imacs but iLife 07 will see its light with Leopard.
  • Reply 8 of 33
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EasyC View Post

I can see iWork coming out with new imacs but iLife 07 will see its light with Leopard.

Not necessarily. iLife may have some Leopard features, but it has to be able to work with Tiger at the very least. With Leopard already announced and demoed in its final form, why not release it a new iLife now. Apple does want to sell computers in the next three months, don't they?
  • Reply 9 of 33
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Mac Rumors is reporting that Mac Scoop is reporting. And I'm reporting that Mac Scoop is rarely accurate.

And I'm reporting that Ireland is even less accurate so where does that leave us?

I wonder if they'd make it Leopard-only. I don't think so but they could easily say for Tiger get iLife '06.

I actually think the biggest difference will be support for the Core Animation qtz format, which won't be available in Tiger. This will allow all the animation you need and then it would behave like ilife '06 for other systems but with more themes and things.
  • Reply 10 of 33
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    I always said that iLife 07 would be Leopard only, or at least have many Leopard only features. Why go to all the effort of builing CoreAnimation if your apps don't take advantage of it.

I agree, a special event showing the new iMacs, iLife and iWork would be nice to see.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    i would've thought that by now the sensible thing would be to give it the magazine-style name iLife '08!\
  • Reply 12 of 33
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    Quote:

No. The exact quote was "Everything is included" and it was implied that iLife was going to be a part of it, but there was explicitly no mention of iWork being part of that, and there was some back-channel hints that it was explicitly excluded from that.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

And I'm reporting that Ireland is even less accurate so where does that leave us?

In a lurch.
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

No, but I did. I was hoping to start of a ripple or hope and rumors that spread to Cupertino, so when they got the message they may think it's a good idea. I personally think the idea makes a lot of sense. I even think they should bundle iLife in there too to push the whole get on with it out of the box mantra. Time will reveal all.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I always said that iLife 07 would be Leopard only, or at least have many Leopard only features. Why go to all the effort of builing CoreAnimation if your apps don't take advantage of it.

I agree, a special event showing the new iMacs, iLife and iWork would be nice to see.

Why go to the trouble of writing a paid update that only a small fraction of Mac users can use upon release?
  • Reply 16 of 33
    crentistcrentist Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post

No. The exact quote was "Everything is included" and it was implied that iLife was going to be a part of it, but there was explicitly no mention of iWork being part of that, and there was some back-channel hints that it was explicitly excluded from that.

Actually, the exact quote was that with Leopard, "we're delivering the complete package."

But the idea is the same.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by crentist View Post

Actually, the exact quote was that with Leopard, "we're delivering the complete package."

But the idea is the same.

Although I agree with what you just said, just wait for a lot of folks here (not all) to disagree with it.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    docpregodocprego Posts: 54member
    Quote:

No he said it would be the complete package, meaning Bootcamp, photobooth and some other minor apps were part of the OS now.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

There is absolutely no way that the new iLife will be Leopard only. Most of the existing Macs for the next year or so will still be running Tiger..
  • Reply 19 of 33
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by docprego View Post

There is absolutely no way that the new iLife will be Leopard only. Most of the existing Macs for the next year or so will still be running Tiger..

So, they can use iLife 06. Perhaps iLife 07 will install in Tiger, but I hold fast that many of the new features will be Leopard only.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I think that people who think that iLife 07(08?) will work the same on Tiger as Leopard have not been keeping up with Apple lately. It's obvious that most of the changes in Leopard are under the hood, or at least that's the word from people who have used the beta. iLife with features leveraged to Leopard will help sell more Leopard.