Subscription games like Everquest

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Anyone here play them or know someone who does?

Are these games as MASSIVE as I'm thinking?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    I played UO

and screwed around in EQ a couple times

a few of my friends play EQ hardcore, in addition to Dark Ages of Camelot, Asheron's Call, etc.

Yeah, they are huge.

Especially EQ.

It's got like 3-4 expansions out for it already.

It's amazing.

How's the weather across the water?

Bright and sunny here in Bton.

• Reply 2 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Lineage is the most massive in terms of its player base, although most of that base is in southeast Asia.

Yes, they're enormous. I don't know why, but they are.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>Lineage is the most massive in terms of its player base, although most of that base is in southeast Asia.

Yes, they're enormous. I don't know why, but they are.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Do they use some form of distributed computing. Ie...when you login...your computer is being used to actually power the game.

Sony is looking at distributed computing as a way to increase the power of future playstations a thousandfold. It sounds exciting
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jdradenjdraden Posts: 89member
    wait...

am I in a Macintosh forum?

Are these games available for Mac? Please say they are. I really want to play Everquest!!
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by JDraden:

<strong>wait...

am I in a Macintosh forum?

Are these games available for Mac? Please say they are. I really want to play Everquest!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry didn't mean to get your hopes up. I was just curious to see just how "Massive" these games really are. Have you seen Everquest in action?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>

Do they use some form of distributed computing. Ie...when you login...your computer is being used to actually power the game. </strong><hr></blockquote>

They're all server-centric so far, for a number of reasons. Mostly, the client just renders the environment and relays user commands back to the server.

[quote]<strong>Sony is looking at distributed computing as a way to increase the power of future playstations a thousandfold. It sounds exciting</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's easier to do that with a console than with PCs, because you know exactly which clients you're dealing with, how they're connected and what they're capable of.

Lineage, Shadowbane and Neverwinter Nights are or will soon be Mac-compatible. (On a smaller scale, but still in the genre, Delta Tao's Clan Lord is Mac-only and Freeverse's Arcane Arena is cross-platform.) Ultima Online, Asheron's Call and Everquest are Windows only AFAIK, and I've heard no word on whether future versions will be.

[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: Amorph ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    cindercinder Posts: 381member
    As it stands now, there are no MMORPGs for Mac.

Warcraft Worlds will probably be the first and only for a long time.

Suck.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    willoughbywilloughby Posts: 1,457member
    [quote]Originally posted by cinder:

<strong>As it stands now, there are no MMORPGs for Mac.

Warcraft Worlds will probably be the first and only for a long time.

Suck.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure there's a Star Wars MMORPG coming out that is for the Mac as well. I think its called "Star Wars: Galaxies". Can anyone back me up on this?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Willoughby:

<strong>

I'm pretty sure there's a Star Wars MMORPG coming out that is for the Mac as well. I think its called "Star Wars: Galaxies". Can anyone back me up on this?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I just read about that in a local puter rag. Sounds cool. You get to play as like 13 different species!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I hope star wars galaxies has a gungan race so we call be jar jar's. That would be so cool!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    The local Apple store is running a QuickTime trailer for Galaxies on the 22" Cinema Display. The game looks interesting, though blowing up a postage-sized QT to Cinema size didn't work out so well.