Nisus Writer Pro 1.0 Released

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Late last night (US time zones) Nisus released its official Nisus Writer Pro.

Very nice!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GrayShades View Post

Late last night (US time zones) Nisus released its official Nisus Writer Pro.

Very nice!

Back in the day, there were about a half-dozen full-featured Mac word processors. Recently there have been only Microsoft Word and a few opensource Word wannabes. Having the venerable Nisus return as the commercial developer of a full-featured word processor is a momentous event. I will buy Nisus Writer Pro.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I use Nisus Writer Pro and Mellel. Mellel handles RTL and styles better for academic writing. Nisus Writer Pro feels like a writing tool, and has cross-referencing and indexing.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    I downloaded NWP, I saw it as a stripped down version of Word. Not worth the money.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but why does anyone care about Word processors anymore? Word is so entrenched everywhere nobody else really matters do they? A word processor is a word processor. It really doesn't matter if you are using Word, iWork, AppleWorks, NWP, or any of the free stuff. If I am wrong, please tell my why?

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K. View Post

I downloaded NWP, I saw it as a stripped down version of Word. Not worth the money.

I am not trying to be a jerk, but why does anyone care about Word processors anymore? Word is so entrenched everywhere nobody else really matters do they? A word processor is a word processor. It really doesn't matter if you are using Word, iWork, AppleWorks, NWP, or any of the free stuff. If I am wrong, please tell my why?

Dave

Except that Word does not handle RTL languages properly. Styles can be problematic - for others who don't know what they are doing (I know, I have been using styles in Word since 1990 with Word 5.0). And the inconsistency from one version of Word to another.... As far as exchanging with those on the Windows side, I find that 90% of Windows users don't know how to use the features that Word does have. Thus, .rtf more than suffices for 95% of the work done.

No, there are plenty of reasons to consider word processors other than Word. I have Office 2004, but use Word less and less as time goes by.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    I've tried other word processors. The problem with them is that they are just TOO simple. When I want to do something, I want to be able to do it without jumping hurdles. With Word, you have options. With others, there are workarounds.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dave K.

A word processor is just that. It's not just a simple text editor for writing two page papers. A good word processor requires robust formatting tools and a "no BS" interface. Some people use a word processor for more than recipes and simple research papers.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

I've tried other word processors. The problem with them is that they are just TOO simple. When I want to do something, I want to be able to do it without jumping hurdles. With Word, you have options. With others, there are workarounds.

A word processor is just that. It's not just a simple text editor for writing two page papers. A good word processor requires robust formatting tools and a "no BS" interface. Some people use a word processor for more than recipes and simple research papers.

I agree totally. I have written tons of different documents in Word. From simple newsletters to 50+ reports to research papers. For some of Word's features there is a bit of a learning curve, but once you figure it out, your golden.

I use to look for a Word alternative (not a big MS fan), but I gave up that search, because all-in-all, its only a word processor. Not that big of deal to me anymore.

With NWP the interface is okay (I really like side bar, much cleaner than Word). But the lack of built-in clip art or equation editor really disappointed me. With MS Office for the Mac coming in at ~$100 retail (student teacher edition), I don't know. I just don't see a market for Nisus.

Dave
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Quote:

With NWP the interface is okay (I really like side bar, much cleaner than Word). But the lack of built-in clip art or equation editor really disappointed me.

There may be lots of reasons not to buy Nisus Writer Pro, but the lack of built-in clip art and an equation editor are not on the list. A skilled craftsman does not leave mill marks. This is to say that you should not be able to tell at a glance which tool was used to create a piece of handiwork. Word's amateurish clipart is instantly recognizable as being from the Word package. Nisus should not follow suit. There are numerous sources of professional clipart. Take a look at them. As for the Equation Editor, again it is not needed. Equation Editor's big brother MathType should work quite well. Personally, I prefer MathEQ or MathMagic Personal Edition. Or, you could use LaTeX-based LaTeXiT, which beats the heck out of Equation Editor or even MathType and is free!

Quote:

With MS Office for the Mac coming in at ~$100 retail (student teacher edition), I don't know. I just don't see a market for Nisus.

I haven't bought it yet, but I will. So you know that NWP has a market of at least one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post

... Some people use a word processor for ... simple research papers.

There is no such thing as a "simple research paper." Unless you are writing your paper in LaTeX which requires only a text editor, then a reduced-function word processor will not do the job.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    I explicitly remember high school research papers as being "easy" compared to the ones I'm writing in college. I didn't mean literally easy.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

There may be lots of reasons not to buy Nisus Writer Pro, but the lack of built-in clip art and an equation editor are not on the list.

To buy a word processor + buy clip art package + buy something to write equations + buy something else that I missed = disaster. The world has move passed a fancy text processor. Much alone one that isn't cost effective compared to the competition.

You are right and wrong about Word's clip art. Default art that is pre-installed stinks. But the stuff you get off of Microsoft's site is pretty good. My wife is a teacher who uses the clip for her school stuff all the time.

I am curious of the kinds of documents you need to write? My company produces 100+ page reports, specifications, memos, flyer, etc., all using a single application. Word. Again, I am not a big MS fan, but Word is one of their top apps. I am in grad school and use Word for everything without any problems. Again, I think Word has some learning curves to it, but once you figure it out you are all set.

It appears your dislike for Word is because it is Microsoft based? I am right?

Dave
  • Reply 10 of 13
    In the corporate environment Word is used because it is the only thing that IT allows. I know, for in my day job I work for a Fortune 50 company (60,000+), and we can't install anything without IT approval. For me, it is not an anti-Microsoft approach. It is a moot point. My goal is to get our department to NOT use Powerpoint, and instead use Word. But execs seem to think only in terms of Powerpoint-itis.

In my specialized field of theology (soon to be Pres of a seminary), where I use Greek and Hebrew in a mainly English text, Word doesn't work well. Mellel handles these languages flawlessly, and the outlining is exactly what I need for these research papers. Yes, it lacks cross-referencing and indexing, although they are on the horizon. NWP has cross-referencing and indexing in this release. (I have nine years of post graduate education, most of which was done on a manual typewriter, so I appreciate any kind of computerization for true research papers)

Ask those who have tried working with Word and make substantial changes in their dissertations about the headaches. Yes, some manage, but the general consensus is not good. I began writing a book several years ago, using Word. After 50 pages with frequent revisions, etc. it became unstable (this was prior to OS X), frequent crashes, etc. I switched to Nisus Classic at the time and not once did it crash. Is Word 2004 more stable? Yep. But if I have a major project to do, I will use NWP or Mellel rather than Word, and send a PDF or save in RTF and it in that form.

Ultimately, whatever works for each person is appropriate. For me, that is Mellel and Nisus.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

To buy a word processor + buy clip art package + buy something to write equations + buy something else that I missed = disaster. The world has move passed a fancy text processor. Much alone one that isn't cost effective compared to the competition.

It might require a little thought, but buying the tools you need to produce the quality you want in a document is hardly a disaster. If you are still in grad school, it is likely that you missed the era when Word was not the only full-fledged Mac word processor. There were FullWrite Pro, MacWrite II, Nisus Writer, Word, and WordPerfect. Including Word, they all worked better than Word does today. In its attempt to take the user's brain out of the equation, Microsoft has turned Word into the worst productivity killer on the market.

I don't get your complaint about cost-effectiveness. Full price for Nisus Writer Pro is $79. The LaTeXiT equation editor is free. You should still be able to download the Microsoft clipart that you love so much for free. This is all much less expensive than Word.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

You are right and wrong about Word's clip art. Default art that is pre-installed stinks. But the stuff you get off of Microsoft's site is pretty good. My wife is a teacher who uses the clip for her school stuff all the time.

I am curious of the kinds of documents you need to write? My company produces 100+ page reports, specifications, memos, flyer, etc., all using a single application. Word. Again, I am not a big MS fan, but Word is one of their top apps. I am in grad school and use Word for everything without any problems. Again, I think Word has some learning curves to it, but once you figure it out you are all set.

It appears your dislike for Word is because it is Microsoft based? I am right?

Dave

Word still has a bugwhere footnotes will appear on the wrong page. It's been there since at least 1997, when I just about threw my computer out the window while working on my MA thesis.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midwinter View Post

Word still has a bugwhere footnotes will appear on the wrong page. It's been there since at least 1997, when I just about threw my computer out the window while working on my MA thesis.

I remember that. Last time I used Word I came this close to tossing my computer off my tiny balcony and watching it plunge three stories because I couldn't handle the footnote jumping.

Luckily a couple months later I finally had enough money to get my 12" PB and I've not looked back at Windows or Microsoft Office since. Still wish I could buy Excel for a decent price though?