Apple utility revives fallen iPod shuffles

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple has released new versions of its iPod Reset Utility for Mac and Windows that lets users restore faulty iPod shuffles back to their factory settings.

Apple recommends the software for first- and second-generation iPod shuffles that will not play music, and cannot be restored using iTunes. It's also recommended for shuffles that are not recognized by iTunes, but are visible in 'My Computer' or in 'Device Manager' on a Windows PC, or in Apple System Profiler on a Mac.

Additionally, the software will revive first-generation iPod shuffles that have fallen into "Recovery mode," and second-generation shuffles that now show up only as a "USB DFU device."

iPod Reset Utility 1.0.2 (3.46MB for Macs and 2.2MB for Windows) will completely erases all music and data on an iPod shuffle, restore it to factory conditions, and then install the current version of iPod software.

In order to use the utility, shuffle owners must have administrator privileges on their Mac or PC. If iPod Reset Utility cannot restore certain iPod shuffles, Apple recommends bringing those players into an Apple store for service.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mgkwhomgkwho Posts: 167member
    Check the second-last paragraph for grammar mistakes. They tend to happen when you copy and paste and then try to turn others' words into your own work.

-=|Mgkwho
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgkwho View Post

Check the second-last paragraph for grammar mistakes. They tend to happen when you copy and paste and then try to turn others' words into your own work.

-=|Mgkwho

Me-oW!!
  • Reply 3 of 9
    able-xable-x Posts: 12member
    umm, you JUST now noticed this? I bought a used shuffle like 3 months ago and had to download and use this utility. It works great, but it's hardly anything new.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Able-X View Post

umm, you JUST now noticed this? I bought a used shuffle like 3 months ago and had to download and use this utility. It works great, but it's hardly anything new.

Might that be the previous version of the utility, 1.0? I think it was available for a year now.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Slow Day?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    What? An Apple story that isn't about the iPhone? I'm confused!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    planb35planb35 Posts: 1member
    my first generation shuffle 'died' the moment I plugged it into my G5 after updating to itunes 7.2

I have gone through the endless efforts to 'reset' it.

I was very hopeful for this latest reset utility.

I have run it about 50 times now and it has managed to make the little orange light blink now.

Unfortunately, the ipod does not show up in itunes or work still...

I read on another site that because there is such a widespread issue with the first generation shuffles ceasing to operater, an apple store would replace the dead first generation shuffles out of warranty if you just bring them into a store...

Is there any possible truth to that rumor? (seems unlikely.)
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I was thinking earlier today, when was the last time Apple udated their iPod firmware? It's been awhile hasn't it? I think they need more programmers, it seems like than can only focus on only one project at a time. I mean leopard got delayed because of the iPhone!?!? That's like MS saying Vista was delayed cause of the Zune!!!
  • Reply 9 of 9
    shigzeoshigzeo Posts: 78member
    i have downloaded the old one and it did not repair my 1g shuffle at all. it works intermitently for a week or perhaps two days, but then dies again with the green/ambre light. i hope this works as - as soon as itunes 7 came out, my dear 2 month old shuffle stopped working at all.