iPhone Apps Quiting

mjemje
Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I'm loving my 8GB iPhone. I really have few complaints. Edge is fast enough when there is no wi-fi and the thing seems scratch proof and boy is it slick. But every so often, and usually a few times with in a period what ever I am currently doing, Safari scrolling, or map zooming, the program quits and returns to the home screen. It was a if I hit the home button. Has anyone else had this happen? It happens very randomly while scrolling, and the best way to describe how to reproduce would be: while scrolling with your finger, if you pause and keep your finger in once place for too long, it happens. And it really frustrating because when it does happen, it does it a few times in a minute or two. I have no idea what's going on, does anyone else?

-MJE

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJE View Post

I have no idea what's going on, does anyone else?

-MJE

Power-cycle the iPhone. It fixed my crashes in Maps and Safari.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member
    I had that happen to me too when I was testing it out it the Apple store. I was doing the same thing, either scrolling in Safari or zooming in really fast (or at least trying to) in Google maps.

Hopefully its a bug they will work out in the next update.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

Power-cycle the iPhone. It fixed my crashes in Maps and Safari.

I had the same problem and this fixed it for me, too. I haven't had a crash since.
  • Reply 4 of 17
    fuzz_ballfuzz_ball Posts: 390member
    There is obviously a bug, and hopefully a fix is coming soon. In the mean time, the reset seems to fix the issue (albeit temporarily).
  • Reply 5 of 17
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

There is obviously a bug, and hopefully a fix is coming soon. In the mean time, the reset seems to fix the issue (albeit temporarily).

I agree. It seems like a firmware update would solve it all.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

I agree. It seems like a firmware update would solve it all.

Are you two blind? Have you tried the Power Cycling fix? It's like someone tells you how to fix it but you ignore them and say. Oh yeah, I need an update. WTF is wrong with people in here. Do either of you even have an iPhone?
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mgoodmanmgoodman Posts: 14member
    well, I,m not blind, and I'm on the iPhone typing this, but I have NO idea what you mean by "power cycling." please enlighten
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Hold down the power off button for 5 to 10 seconds or so, and you'll see a slider across the top of the screen saying Power off. Slide that and wait for your iPhone to Power Down. YOu should see a silver Apple, or something then it will go black. Then restart it.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Hold down the power off button for 5 to 10 seconds or so, and you'll see a slider across the top of the screen saying Power off. Slide that and wait for your iPhone to Power Down. YOu should see a silver Apple, or something then it will go black. Then restart it.

Here are all the possible steps.

power/reset iPhone
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

Here are all the possible steps.

power/reset iPhone

That's to reset the iPhone. Just to Power Cycle /Power Off the iPhone follow the steps I listed above. Don't let physguy confuse you. Reseting the iPhone is a totally different animal.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

That's to reset the iPhone. Just to Power Cycle /Power Off the iPhone follow the steps I listed above. Don't let physguy confuse you. Reseting the iPhone is a totally different animal.

onlooker, please look at the link provided. It tells you how to do both what you said and other available options, and the times you should use each. Not trying to get them to do a full reset, just more complete information.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    atlasatlas Posts: 90member
    We all know how to turn off a phone, and we all know that power cycling temporarily fixes the small problem, but it does not solve the problem. What onlooker doesn't seem to understand is that you can just fix a problem by putting on a band-aid by resetting the phone. I bet you Apple will release an update for it to where we don't have to keep doing this.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Quote:

We all know how to turn off a phone, and we all know that power cycling temporarily fixes the small problem, but it does not solve the problem. What onlooker doesn't seem to understand is that you can just fix a problem by putting on a band-aid by resetting the phone. I bet you Apple will release an update for it to where we don't have to keep doing this.

While I agree with the sentiment it doesn't fit my experience. I was having Safari shut down once every couple of minutes. After the phone reboot I've not had it shut down in several days of heavy browsing. To me this was the equivalent of running disk repair on OS X. Its a 'random' corruption that the reboot fixed. I'm sure people are having both types of problems - bugs in safari and 'corruption' (for want of a better word). For the latter this is a fix.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    The iPhone I was trying out in the AT&T store was doing this. You'd barely get into any application, and it'd quit back out to the home screen. Sounds like a bug.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

The iPhone I was trying out in the AT&T store was doing this. You'd barely get into any application, and it'd quit back out to the home screen. Sounds like a bug.

My point is simply that there are probably more than just 'one thing' going on and that the reboot solves some of them 'permanently' - meaning that, in my case, I haven't had the crashes for over 1 week since rebooting. I'm sure there are many bugs in a 1.0 release.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    tsunami78tsunami78 Posts: 22member
    I had a similar experience with applications spontaneously quitting back to the home screen. It started happening the day after I purchased my iPhone and began heavy use. 2 days after purchasing the iPhone, I powered cycled it, and have not had an application quit like that since. I don't know what the issue was, but it has not recurred since, and I have only power-cycled the device once.

Cheers,

Jason
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:

What you don't understand is it has fixed the problem permanently for everyone I have heard of that had the problem. But if the problem went deeper, Apple will just issue you a new sim card. If your sim card is defective there is no update that will repair it because it would be a faulty part which is not up-datable in that way because it has to be replaced. Nevertheless if there are problems with your phone beyond that Apple will replace it. How big of a problem do you have with that option?