Did I miss something? Can I burn CDs in X?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just out of curiosity if there is software available for X to burn CDs.

I have toast titanium on my OS 9 section thing, I can't find an upgrade to X, and iTunes still won't burn jack **** .

I have been out of it for a while so maybe something was released and I am an idiot in the past. Can someone "throw me a frikin bone here"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    <a href="http://www.roxio.com/toastosx/"; target="_blank">"The Toast 5 Titanium suite is now fully Carbonized for Mac OS X."</a> And it has been for a long time -- since last fall, if I recall correctly. You need Toast 5 to qualify for the free upgrade to have OS X compatibility.

As for iTunes and the Finder's disc burner, yeah, I'll have to agree that they suck.

[ 06-15-2002: Message edited by: starfleetX ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 19
    creatinecreatine Posts: 25member
    thanks, I am d/l it now, hopefully it works...
  • Reply 3 of 19
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    You've got me worried now, Starfleet. Itunes and the finder burner seem to work fine for me ( apart from the burnt CD immediately vanishing from the desktop). Is there anything else I should be aware of, or what extra do other apps offer that might make it worth my while buying them?? Advice would be appreciated.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've burned about half a gazillion CDs from iTunes using Disk Burner. Not a single problem, ever.

I've also burned a ton of data CDs from the finder with Apple's Disk Burner. Again, nothing but success and usable CDs.
  • Reply 5 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    The problem with iTunes/Disc Burner is that you can't make direct copies (for backup )
  • Reply 6 of 19
    mimacmimac Posts: 872member
    iTunes/Disc Burner has also worked flawlessly for me, not one coaster in 100s of burnt CDs.

Toast is a lot more flexible though.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Oh, what I meant was that iTunes and Finder don't support nearly as many CD burners as Toast does.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    [quote]Originally posted by Creatine:

<strong>Just out of curiosity if there is software available for X to burn CDs.

I have toast titanium on my OS 9 section thing, I can't find an upgrade to X, and iTunes still won't burn jack **** .

I have been out of it for a while so maybe something was released and I am an idiot in the past. Can someone "throw me a frikin bone here"</strong><hr></blockquote>

[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: DamnRight ]

I am running 1.15 and still find burner support spotty. Sometimes Toast will work, other times it doesn't see the drive. Discribe works, but it is a dog. Nero doesn't work, currently.

So I am in the same boat. I love toast, I have it working at work, so I am going to keep experimenting.

[ 06-17-2002: Message edited by: DamnRight ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 19
    wait wait wait

YOU GUYS CAN BURN IN iTunes?

Last time I posted(months ago) someone said apple hand't fixed that feature in iTunes.

SO what do I need? I press burn CD and it says Burner or CD software not found.

Is it because I have a Que drive? Or am I missing something! PLEASE TELL ME!
  • Reply 10 of 19
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Is your particular drive on this list:

<a href="http://www.apple.com/itunes/notes.html"; target="_blank">http://www.apple.com/itunes/notes.html</a>;

Here's what's frustrating: a buddy of mine bought a LaCie 32x FireWire CD-RW drive (we bought it at the Orange County Apple Store, and even stood there and looked at the web page above to make sure her choice was supported by Apple, iTunes, DiskBurn, etc. It was! We even confirmed it with two employees).

Anyway, she's not been able to burn a CD at more than 8x. She's totally up-to-date (10.1.5) and everything. A shame, because she could've just saved some money and bought an 8x FireWire drive to begin with, or even a 16x.
  • Reply 11 of 19
    imac davidimac david Posts: 286member
    The problem I have with both iTunes and Finder burner is lack of multiple sessions.

Today I quickly burned 2 small movies (total space used around 15MB) using the finder, and as far as I can tell that's it - the rest of the space on the disc is now unusable.

Would Toast and others allow further burning?

Cheers!

David

PS I'd echo that with all the iTunes and Finder burns I've done I've never had a failed one yet.

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: iMac David ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 19
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by iMac David:

[qb]The problem I have with both iTunes and Finder burner is lack of multiple sessions.

Today I quickly burned 2 small movies (total space used around 15MB) using the finder, and as far as I can tell that's it - the rest of the space on the disc is now unusable.

Would Toast and others allow further burning?

Cheers!

David

Toast does allow multi-session burns with the right hardware.

For example, the superdrive can not create multi-session DVD's (although I have found PC utilities that can do this). But, with most normal CDR burners, multi session CDs are no problem with Toast.

[ 06-18-2002: Message edited by: DamnRight ]</p>
  • Reply 13 of 19
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Creatine:

<strong>

Is it because I have a Que drive? Or am I missing something! PLEASE TELL ME!</strong><hr></blockquote>

My 24x Que drive works, but I've heard some people say that theirs don't.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    does anyone think I need some woftware from QPS to get my Que to work in oS X or it either works or not?

if not, what iss a cheap burner you guys can rcommend that works with OS X?
  • Reply 15 of 19
    snofsnof Posts: 98member
    My Que drive (8x) works fine in iTunes, DiscBurner and Toast. Occassionally it will say that the burner cannot be found, but turning the burner off then on again reminds the computer where it is, and it burns perfectly. So far only one coaster, but that might have had something to do with me accidentally knocking the burner of my desk during the burn .
  • Reply 16 of 19
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>The problem with iTunes/Disc Burner is that you can't make direct copies (for backup )</strong><hr></blockquote>

i thought you could always use disk copy to make an image, save it as an uncompressed cdr/dvd master and bob's yer uncle ...

i know it doesn't work for backing up some mixed-mode cds but at least it is an option

toast titanium all the way for me though ... and astarte cd-copy to dupe any stubborn discs
  • Reply 17 of 19
    jamiljamil Posts: 210member
    Damnright,

Are you saying that I can burn a multisession CDR using finder or Itunes ? Or do I need toast for that ? or is it that the superdrive cannot support multisession dvd's or CDRs ?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    [quote]Originally posted by Jamil:

<strong>Damnright,

Are you saying that I can burn a multisession CDR using finder or Itunes ? Or do I need toast for that ? or is it that the superdrive cannot support multisession dvd's or CDRs ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

um, yes and no.

multi-volume - many cd icons on desktop can be done... see <a href="http://www.sentman.com/burner/"; target="_blank">CD Session burner for OS X</a>

multi-session - one cd icon (updated content in directories) usually requires commercial app (Toast is probably king, long history of strong mac dev, Diskribe comes from peecee land and ain't toast yet)

OS X bootable - [i]"Rock Ridge Extensions" are available (Toast Titanium 5.1.x for X) and i think versiontracker noted some 3rd party authoring tools recently...

if url works, click below for more info and links

<a href="http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.ef81dab"; target="_blank">Apple OS X Discussion group on multi-session cdrw</a>

multi-session dvd's? see <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article2.html?artnum=42718"; target="_blank">SuperDrive can use DVD-RW discs but cannot use DVD+RW or DVD-RAM discs</a>

but of course if you can wait...

panasonic just introduced the "Superdrive II" which will burn even MORE ways. see the press release (can't find the url with pic i spotted when i first heard this, sorry)

<a href="http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/computer/storage/dvdram/new/press/pr100.htm"; target="_blank">DVD Multi Burner II</a>

and for the ultimate answers on all things optical, consider <a href="http://www.osta.org"; target="_blank">Optical Storage Technology Association</a> or <a href="http://www.cdrfaq.org/"; target="_blank">CDRFAQ - comprehensive q+a</a>

happy burning

hope this helps
  • Reply 19 of 19
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i don't think anyone mentioned `cdrecord`. it's free (no cost and OSS). it supports hella more burners than iTunes/Finder. I have a really old (~3yrs) yamaha cd-rw, and after a little tinkering I got cdrecord to work. It took a couple of coasters though.

I think its available on sf.net, else try google.com. There are front-end's on sf.net too. They often don't include cdrecord, so make sure you know what ur getting. Also, i should note, that cdrecord is a command line tool. many of the front ends (GUIs) require x windows, so beware.