Jobs' London appearance fuels European iPhone speculation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

What a racist remark!

How is a remark about height or hand size racist??? Most of the Asian people I know are short and have small hands, of course there's always exceptions in every group.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    But it's racist to point out any differences in humans. We are all the same. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

I am not tall, I have an 'unfair vertical advantage'. I am not fair skinned, I have 'culturally oppressive melanin levels'.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Meh, it wouldn't be so bad:

Remember, you'd have the option of using either the portrait keyboard or the landscape. It wouldn't be 'either-or'. No doubt some would take the wider key spacing/larger keys over being able to see more of the doc/app they were typing into.

I got to play with an iPhone over the weekend, and the portrait keyboard is indeed a bit of a chore. The keys are small and very tightly spaced, its easy to hit multiple keys or the wrong key. And I type 70 wpm on a regular keyboard.

Yeah, very likely it gets better as you get more used to it. I believe that. But I doubt it ever gets to be really good. Just... too... small.

I'm afraid I disagree - I know it sounds like Apple mantra, but forget those wrong key hits - the software is intelligent enough in most cases that it'll spit out the correct word in the end. I have huge, thick thumbs and I can two-thumb type quite well on the iPhone now, and I'm a long-time QWERTY blackberry user.

I actually don't care for the landscape mode keyboard - because it is too wide for two-thumb typing (!!). I have to revert to one finger pecking.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

What a racist remark!

Not really. I've been to many Asian countries. Most of the population are smaller people. There's absolutely no racist content in that observation. Don't be an idiot.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

But it's racist to point out any differences in humans. We are all the same. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

I am not tall, I have an 'unfair vertical advantage'. I am not fair skinned, I have 'culturally oppressive melanin levels'.

We still love ya.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 238member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I'm probably just a victim-in-waiting for Apple's fiendish plans to sell a shitload of extra iPhones to people like me who wanted the iPhone now, despite its limitations, and who will still very likely shell out their cash yet again when the 3G iPhone 2 comes along.

If Apple keeps putting out a new iPhone every year, and each iPhone requires a two-year service agreement, in a decade or so I'll be locked into a single carrier for the rest of my natural life.

If the sim and account are already active with AT&T, if one replaces the hardware, wouldn't you just move the existing SIM card?

Surely, say for example, I lost my phone and purchased a new one, AT&T would give me a new SIM card and not require an additional two year contract?
  • Reply 27 of 43
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Engine Joe View Post

I'm afraid I disagree - I know it sounds like Apple mantra, but forget those wrong key hits - the software is intelligent enough in most cases that it'll spit out the correct word in the end.

Didn't always for me, I'm afraid. \

Quote:

I actually don't care for the landscape mode keyboard - because it is too wide for two-thumb typing (!!). I have to revert to one finger pecking.

The screen is only 3 inches wide in landscape mode. Doesn't seem to be a problem. I can do it, and I have only medium-sized hands.

In any case, we're not talking 'either-or' here. Its about having the landscape keyboard as an option in all apps, not a replacement.

Those who prefer the portrait keyboard could still use that, people just want the option of being able to use either.

• Reply 28 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Not really. I've been to many Asian countries. Most of the population are smaller people. There's absolutely no racist content in that observation. Don't be an idiot.

I think he's just being obnoxious, though he won't let on that he is.

I guess I can join in too... WTF is UP with this WHITE BACKGROUND when you type in a POST?!?! Why not BROWN, or BLACK!!! AppleInsider is a BUNCHA CRACKERS! FIGHT DA POWER!!!

• Reply 29 of 43
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

By definition in part, 'racism is a belief or ideology that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race,' as such, your remark was racist.

I did not call you a racist. Only that your remark was racial. Unintentional, but still racial.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    Quote:

By definition in part, 'racism is a belief or ideology that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race,' as such, your remark was racist.

I did not call you a racist. Only that your remark was racial. Unintentional, but still racial.

Fine. I don't like picking nits over something like this.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

And we're not calling you a troll. Only that your remark was trollish. Unintentional, but still trollish.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shetline View Post

I'm probably just a victim-in-waiting for Apple's fiendish plans to sell a shitload of extra iPhones to people like me who wanted the iPhone now, despite its limitations, and who will still very likely shell out their cash yet again when the 3G iPhone 2 comes along.

If Apple keeps putting out a new iPhone every year, and each iPhone requires a two-year service agreement, in a decade or so I'll be locked into a single carrier for the rest of my natural life.

If the second gen iPhone comes out in while you are still in the 2 year contract, is that an automatic up-grade to another 2 year deal? If you buy it from Apple in a store or online, can't you just swap out the "activated" sim card and who'll be the wiser?
  • Reply 33 of 43
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

3G or your head Jobs, you decide?

aaah, the Irish temper

While 3G might have the edge, I am more concerned when Apple (read: Universal, Dreamworks, Disney and the likes) is gonna release movie flicks and tv episodes to the European iTunes store ?

The European iPhone desperately needs video content (other than the home made stuff).
  • Reply 34 of 43
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

What a racist remark!

And the centre half forward for the political correctness team races in, shoots and..... Oh he missed!

His comment was neither negative nor disparaging. He was just being realistic and accurate. Of course such things, along with truth, are like poison to the politically correct.

If i were to point out to you that Apple was going to have a real hard time selling its new sunscreen to Australian aborigines would that be racist or just realistic?
  • Reply 35 of 43
    audiopollutionaudiopollution Posts: 3,226member
    ... and with that, we conclude our irregularly scheduled racial discussion.

Stay tuned as we rejoin the Euro iPhone chat.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Or maybe Steve was here to see The Tour De France??? jeez some people make something out of nothing.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Steve in Europe, why?

Six words: Amsterdam hookers and damn good hashish.

• Reply 38 of 43
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Got the chance to use it for about 20 minutes this weekend... biggest problem for me was lack of landscape text entry for all apps. In addition, I noticed that other people with larger fingers were having problems with text entry... iPhone should do well in Asia, but for anyone over 6 ft. tall, it's a non-starter. \

It just takes about 5 days and your used to it. I have massive fingers, but I can iPhone type now like a madman.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

It just takes about 5 days and your used to it. I have massive fingers, but I can iPhone type now like a madman.

That does appear to be the norm as I've heard it... 3 to 5 days...
  • Reply 40 of 43
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

Maybe five days if you text a lot every day.

I'm hardly flying when I type on my iPhone now, and I doubt I will be any time soon, if ever. I simply don't text a lot, and thus don't get a lot of practice. However, I was far, far worse at texting on my previous phone, which only had a standard numerical keypad -- meaning multi-tap or T9 text entry. Entering a URL into the crappy Windows Mobile 5 browser was almost painful.