Macbook thin?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
what ever happened to that rumor?

it was talked about months ago and still nothing...

would be nice if this were announced in the next month. im leaving

the country for a bit and would love to have a small laptop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macfly View Post

what ever happened to that rumor?

it was talked about months ago and still nothing...

would be nice if this were announced in the next month. im leaving

the country for a bit and would love to have a small laptop.

I'm curious how 1" thin is not thin enough. A 12" MacBook or MacBook Pro, I can understand, but they really don't need to be any thinner. Not to mention, an ultra-thin laptop will use a rather underpowered processor. Frankly, I'll take a 1" laptop with a 2 GHz Core 2 over a half-inch laptop with a 1.06 GHz Core 2.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

Look no further than... here... sort of.

Sebastian

Why would you link him to the tablet thread, when he wants a small laptop.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karelia View Post

I'm curious how 1" thin is not thin enough. A 12" MacBook or MacBook Pro, I can understand, but they really don't need to be any thinner. Not to mention, an ultra-thin laptop will use a rather underpowered processor. Frankly, I'll take a 1" laptop with a 2 GHz Core 2 over a half-inch laptop with a 1.06 GHz Core 2.

If they can make an iPhone, they can make everything else slimmer and faster as well. And they will.

One way to look at the development of computers over time is power per pound per $1000. Over time, computers not only get faster but get faster per pound. An ultrathin laptop need not be underpowered, is inevitable, and would be rather nice.

Once you carry around Apple's forthcoming svelte ultraportable you'll wonder how you ever lugged around your current brick of a Macbook.

Of course, as you probably know, I'm a cat, and so Apple's current laptops are around 50% of my total body weight and therefore particularly cumbersome. I look forward to an ultraportable.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    meh 2meh 2 Posts: 149member
    Egads!

Shades of e. e. cummings!!

Quote:

"see if youse wuz archie youse would have to type only wit lower case letters as that is the only kind of letters a cockroach can type wit since he cannot hold the shift key down as he hops fromket to key. i know that because i am sometimes a cat known as mehitabel."

• Reply 7 of 11
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

They're related, sort of... hence the sort of disclaimer at the end... sort of.

Sebastian

Ok guy.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    I used IBM's 3 pound ThinkPad X Series before I switched and thought it was a great form factor - even if there was no optical drive included. Since that was years ago there is no technical reason why Apple doesn't build one, but it might be a little more expensive than the MacBook.

My preference is a MBP the same size as a MB and then a 3 pound MB. With my luck they won't come for a while, but then I can't buy another computer for a while either.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenaustus View Post

I used IBM's 3 pound ThinkPad X Series before I switched and thought it was a great form factor - even if there was no optical drive included.

I wish my 12" PowerBook didn't have an optical drive. It is far too heavy. If I could run MacOS on a <1kg Sony VAIO, I would. I'll buy a new MBP when one is available that weighs less than my 12" PowerBook. Drop the optical drive and switch to 1.8" hard drives.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    No MacBook thin or anything. If anything ultra portable MacBookPro 11" or something. My 2 cents.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    macflymacfly Posts: 256member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

No MacBook thin or anything. If anything ultra portable MacBookPro 11" or something. My 2 cents.

bizarre how this rumor just evaporated. at this point i am trying to decide if i should just pull the trigger on a macbook black just for traveling and running around or if i should wait.

annoying. dont need the power of a macbook pro and would like to have a small form factor for ease of use during everyday walking around. this should be a no brainer for Apple but we (and japan for that matter) have been watiing years.