Is the iPhone a good Telephone?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by HockeyDoc View Post

1. What is the call quality like?

2. Does it get a signal everywhere your old phone did?

I thank all of you who answer me.

You didn't ask about its battery life, which is extremely important for a mobile phone. My iPhone's battery life is much better than my RAZR's. As for the questions that you asked, I bought my iPhone while in an area where my phone strength is consistently 5 bars and away from home where it may be less. That said, the signal reception seems better. Voice quality is on a par with my landline--if not better.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    have you used BT ?? iphone doesn't have voice dialing....so how can you operate it handsfree in a medical or car environment??? to me that's a mandatory feature, but how do you get around it?
  • Reply 23 of 34
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

You sound like a generous soul, but before you buy several iPhones, or even one, I would suggest that you check out the iPhone forums at MacRumors.com.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322939

They've set up a discussion area for people to report problems they are having with the device, and they seem to be numerous. Some of the bugs will no doubt be fixed with software upgrades, but that may be as far away as October.

The issues range from repeated crashes, to the inability to record a greeting.

Like the the folks who post here, the people who go to MacRumors, tend to be tech savvy, early adopters, and Mac loyalists. None of the complaints sound like mere sour grapes, event though the forum runs to 4 pages.

It seems like Apple jumped the gun on the release of the iPhone. Personally, I'm going to wait until at least, for the second version.

\\

Madame Defarge why don't you save your second hand advice for when you get an iPhone, and have some weight behind your opinion.

I don't know what planet your iPhone problems are on but all the people I know including myself have had not a single problem with it, and the ones in here that have had a problem have had that problem easily fixed by Apple already. Either they give you a new phone, or a new sim card. How deeply does that run?
  • Reply 24 of 34
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    The iPhone quality in my area (phx, AZ) is by far the best reception I've ever had.

As I went into detail in another thread that for over 15 years I have never been able to get reception in a particular mountain pass near my home, but I now can drive through and talk with ease on my iPhone. It's mazing. I didn't think it possible.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    tsunami78tsunami78 Posts: 22member
    I switched from a Verizon XV6700 to AT&T with the iPhone. Previous to the XV6700, I had also used a Samsung i730, Treo 700w, and Motorola Q. I would have to say the phone features on the iPhone are superior to all of the phones I've listed with one notable exception. The lack of voice-dial capability is really a pain in the @$$. I am very hopeful that they address this oversight in the first update.

The call quality is better both on the sending and receiving end. It sounds great as long as you are in an area where you have decent service. As far as service goes, it's kind of a wash. I get similar quality of service in 90% of the places I go. I also get service in areas where I never could get a signal with Verizon and no signal in some areas where I had a great signal with Verizon. It seems to me like I've traded dead-zones, but there doesn't seem to be any more or less coverage than with Verizon, just different coverage areas. The speakerphone on the iPhone isn't GREAT, but it's on par with the phones I listed above.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Jason
  • Reply 26 of 34
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Madame Defarge View Post

You sound like a generous soul, but before you buy several iPhones, or even one, I would suggest that you check out the iPhone forums at MacRumors.com.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=322939

They've set up a discussion area for people to report problems they are having with the device, and they seem to be numerous. Some of the bugs will no doubt be fixed with software upgrades, but that may be as far away as October.

The issues range from repeated crashes, to the inability to record a greeting.

Like the the folks who post here, the people who go to MacRumors, tend to be tech savvy, early adopters, and Mac loyalists. None of the complaints sound like mere sour grapes, event though the forum runs to 4 pages.

It seems like Apple jumped the gun on the release of the iPhone. Personally, I'm going to wait until at least, for the second version.

In my brief encounter at the Apple Store with an iPhone, it seemed laggy and really needed to be completely upright to sense which direction was being viewed. I'd rather have the option to choose portrait or landscape manually if I wanted to... but, on the other hand, the screen was extremely bright and the interface appeared genuinely 3D in it's appearance, that was neat.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Thanks to all who have replied. All responses, good and bad are appreciated.

It seems to me that most people find the reception and voice quality at least on par with their old phones and that's good enough for me.

I have purchased one 8gb iPhone and given it to my most discriminating (picky) partner. She will evaluate it for up to 2 weeks at which point if it does not work for our specific needs we will return it and get 90% of our money back. I highly doubt this will happen but I need to present the group with this option before we drop $4200 plus tax and up our monthly phone bill by $140.

Feel free to give me more feed back and I'll keep you updated to how we make out.

Thanks.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    bspearsbspears Posts: 147member
    Quote:

I am strongly considering buying 7 iPhones for my Anesthesiology group. We are salivating at the prospect of using all its features but we have a question. Is the iPhone a good phone? We currently all have RAZRs and we get reception in all of our locations and all of our operating rooms. So.

OK HockeyDoc.

I am an anesthesiologist too. I was using a SLVR phone until I got my iPhone. It works in all the areas the SLVR did. We have two rooms that are signal dead and no phone works in them but everywhere else in the hospital the iPhone works well. I am on OB call tonight and just used my iPhone to take a pic of a new dad and his daughter in the C-Section room and email it to him. The poor schmuck had forgotten his camera and his wife was ready to kill him. The ease of use with the calender functions will make trading calls and documenting them easy. If you plan on doing a lot of web surfing with your iPhones make sure you buy chargers for all the rooms. WiFi web surfing burns thru the battery pretty quickly. I just turn my wifi off and get all day use as a phone only.

good luck

Dr. Bob
  • Reply 29 of 34
    Quote:

I am strongly considering buying 7 iPhones for my Anesthesiology group. We are salivating at the prospect of using all its features but we have a question. Is the iPhone a good phone? We currently all have RAZRs and we get reception in all of our locations and all of our operating rooms. So.

I'd suggest buying one, just one. Play with it as you would test out any new piece of equipment.

I don't believe there are any bulk order benefits so you have nothing to lose... but your own time. Good luck.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    jtusjtus Posts: 18member
    Quote:

The coverage area is better than the T-mobile service that I switched from and as good or better than Verizon that my company phone is on.

The call quality is a s good or better thand both the razor on T-mobile and way better than the Treo 700P and 700W that I use on verizon.

I use these phones in and out side of Philadelphia.
  • Reply 31 of 34
    edpayneedpayne Posts: 16member
    Quote:

I am switching from Sprint after a year and Nextel for 5 years prior to that.

1. The call quality is great. I would say its not as clear as Sprint/Nextel but on average holds a more consistant signal.

2. Yes and seems to reach even more areas where Sprint would be weak.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    lfe2211lfe2211 Posts: 507member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jtus View Post

The coverage area is better than the T-mobile service that I switched from and as good or better than Verizon that my company phone is on.

The call quality is a s good or better thand both the razor on T-mobile and way better than the Treo 700P and 700W that I use on verizon.

I use these phones in and out side of Philadelphia.

jtus,

Do you use Wirelessphiladelphia (the free city wide WiFi) much? If so, how is it?

Thanks.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    Quote:

The RAZR was/is a god-awful excuse for a phone. Seeing as how the iPhone is Apple's baby, they'd have to try pretty hard if they wanted to come up with something worse than Motorola's electronic door stopper. Given that you appear to want to use it mainly for basic communications, why not just get a cheaper (and probably more durable) phone? I've had a Nokia 6620 for several years now, it's a great phone and didn't cost $500. The camera and voice quality are way better than the RAZR's, it won't break into a million pieces if you drop it (unlike the RAZR), and I've never had any trouble with signal strength/receiving calls. I've owned 1 other Nokia phone, and in my experience they are great products that last a long time (contrast that with the Motorola T720 I had, which had to be replaced twice in less than 2 years, and was incapable of getting a signal even outside some buildings).

Money might not be a factor for you, however, since you're an anesthesiologist. In that case, get the iPhone and go for the upgrades. With solid gold iPhone faceplates, I'm sure you'll be the envy of your coworkers.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    jtusjtus Posts: 18member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lfe2211 View Post

jtus,

Do you use Wirelessphiladelphia (the free city wide WiFi) much? If so, how is it?

Thanks.

I don't live in Philadelphia just have to go there at times .

I have not tried the free wireless yet.