iPhone 2: Sooner than later?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I work at a Best Buy store. Today we had a corporate AT&T rep come into the store, and without even trying, we got into an in-depth conversation about the iphone. Now this guy knew his stuff, unlike every AT&T employee I've come across.

The point of this post, is that he referenced another iPhone release in December. Yes, December of 2007.

He said that, at corporate, they had a board with speculative dates for various events.. and Next iPhone says "December"

He suggested that it may be a 3G version of the currently released iPhone.

He also told me that the retail rollout will occur in September and that's when I should expect our store to, at minimum, have an open iPhone spot in our planogram.

Thought I'd share. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    If it's true (and I sincerely doubt AT&T knows anything) good.

Apple needs to be aggressive and damn the people who complain about new model iPhones?as long as they keep their free software updates and new applications for 24 months plan.

Telecommunications is much faster and much bigger then Apple's iPod market, and they need to come to terms with it. If they truly plan a 3G iPhone by Xmas that's excellent.

I expect and hope for, quite frankly, a new iPhone every 6-8 months indefinitely.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    This seems so unlikely. If he were to say that Apple plans some significant software updates for December, then I'd believe that. The only changes I could see Apple planning for December/January (e.g., MacWorld) would be a 16GB version.

Of course, this is just my wild a** guess.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 3 of 13
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    The iphone is supposed to be coming to the UK (possibly Europe) in December so I reckon that's what it'll be. I'd imagine it will have 3G too as it won't be locked to one carrier and the rumored carriers support 3G.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    ...but seeing an iPhone 2 in the US in December seems a bit of a reach - unless Apple plans some trade-up program.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 5 of 13
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post

...but seeing an iPhone 2 in the US in December seems a bit of a reach - unless Apple plans some trade-up program.

--DotComCTO

I doubt there will be any kind of hardware trade up program, but I could be wrong. I'm working on the hand-me-down plan. Wifey will get my current iPhone once the new improved model comes out.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    actxactx Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DotComCTO View Post

--DotComCTO

I have seen this line of thinking here and at macrumors.com. . .that if Apple updates that Apple won't update the IPhone within six months (or a year) so as not to alienate the early adopters or will offer some type of trade-in. . .this makes no sense. For those who already bought, Apple (and AT&T) HAVE your money and a contract. The owe you nothing and will not hold off on your account. They need/want the NEXT group of customers and in order to do this they will need to update the software and most likely upgrade the phone - by Christmas.

Does Apple offer trade-ins when they update their other products (think Apple TV upgraded 2 months after release). . .no. You gave them money and they gave you a product.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple released a new iPhone model as an "out" on the current "excusive" deal with AT&T. It's possible that their arrangement was only for the current iPhone model to give AT&T press and new customers.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    David Letterman says there will be an iPhone Nano soon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ1bGYMudv0
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by actx View Post

I have seen this line of thinking here and at macrumors.com. . .that if Apple updates that Apple won't update the IPhone within six months (or a year) so as not to alienate the early adopters or will offer some type of trade-in. . .this makes no sense. For those who already bought, Apple (and AT&T) HAVE your money and a contract. The owe you nothing and will not hold off on your account. They need/want the NEXT group of customers and in order to do this they will need to update the software and most likely upgrade the phone - by Christmas.

Does Apple offer trade-ins when they update their other products (think Apple TV upgraded 2 months after release). . .no. You gave them money and they gave you a product.

What you're saying is true, and Apple has done this type of thing before; for example, they have released Mac updates within a year of the initial release. For some reason - maybe it's the hype and focus around the iPhone - it doesn't seem like the 6 month timing for an iPhone v2 would be right. It feels like they would disenfranchise the early adopters. They'd essentially be telling the early adopters, "You were an idiot for buying our version 1 iPhone, but thanks a lot!" I just can't see Apple doing that. Maybe I'm too nice. I can definitely see some great software updates, though.

Like I said before...what do I know???

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 10 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JesusNerd View Post

I work at a Best Buy store.

So, you're the guy!
  • Reply 11 of 13
    mullmanmullman Posts: 26member
    Not that I know anything, but I would find it very surprising for Apple in December to offer a whiz bang new 3G iPhone to the US market.

Running OS-X lite, I would think the iPhone has plenty of software upgradability, esp with the Leopard just around the corner.

I hope Apple would not screw us early adopters.

At the same time the phone is not subsidized.

There is no reason that if a new "iPhone 3000" comes out next Spring that we could not buy it for full cost (again - ugh) and put it on our plan.

I certainly would think a non-subsidized phone somewhat changes the "available for upgrade" type of rules.

An iPhone nano? Maybe.

A widescreen video iPod with multi-touch? Definitely.

Is it possible that the current iPhones are 3G software upgradable?

Must say I am quite impressed with the AT&T network improvement.

My BB Pearl hovered around 20 kbps on EDGE - my iPhone is around 180 kbps.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JesusNerd View Post

I work at a Best Buy store. Today we had a corporate AT&T rep come into the store, and without even trying, we got into an in-depth conversation about the iphone. Now this guy knew his stuff, unlike every AT&T employee I've come across.

The point of this post, is that he referenced another iPhone release in December. Yes, December of 2007.

He said that, at corporate, they had a board with speculative dates for various events.. and Next iPhone says "December"

He suggested that it may be a 3G version of the currently released iPhone.

He also told me that the retail rollout will occur in September and that's when I should expect our store to, at minimum, have an open iPhone spot in our planogram.

Thought I'd share. Thanks

I heard the day they went on sale that there would be one more big iPhone shipment in December, but a shipment, and a new release are two different things entirely. Maybe he is assuming more than what is actually happening.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:

Analyst claims iPhone nano on track for fourth quarter

Hm. This lines up with what the AT&T guy said pretty well. Minus the 3G-version thing, which was just his speculation anyway.

Quote:

The iphone is supposed to be coming to the UK (possibly Europe) in December so I reckon that's what it'll be. I'd imagine it will have 3G too as it won't be locked to one carrier and the rumored carriers support 3G.

Also just as possible.

Quote:

Apple didn't offer this when the iPod video came out.. what... a month or two after the iPod photo? If Apple releases something in December, you'll have to pay full-price like everyone else.

Quote:

I heard the day they went on sale that there would be one more big iPhone shipment in December, but a shipment, and a new release are two different things entirely. Maybe he is assuming more than what is actually happening.

Also possible. In fact, most probable. But an iPhone nano makes complete sense as well. The iphone is awesome for geeks like me but to trendsetters/college students and average consumers, they want their tiny featureless fashion statements that simply get the job done. The university kids all have ipod nanos, not 80GB ipods. Minus me of course.