iPhone workshop sparks grassroots development

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

Yeah, and then they should make TV's that make watching advertisements optional without the need for recording tech. Also newspapers should have all of the advertisements in the back so that they don't get in the way of the news stories.

Nice idea, wrong economic model.

That's why Flash alternate image content is recommended its the motion that is the problem. But to use your analogy - What if the commercials on tv ran concurrently with the show in boxes all around the screen? That might detract from the story-line just a bit, although in some cases it could actually help to improve the content of a few shows
  • Reply 22 of 25
    titoctitoc Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacGregor View Post

Yeah, and then they should make TV's that make watching advertisements optional without the need for recording tech. Also newspapers should have all of the advertisements in the back so that they don't get in the way of the news stories.

Nice idea, wrong economic model.

Well, they already give you the choice of turning off particular plug-ins ENTIRELY now, so I don't think it's THAT much of a stretch. If you are a company that creates a plug-in (as is Adobe with Flash), what would you rather have? Browsers that either turn off completely your plug-in (as is the case now) or a browser that gives you a choice to view that plug-in whenever you want?

You are confusing two completely different things: Advertisements with ALL Flash or any media content for that matter. They are apples and oranges. You are comparing ALL Flash content (or any media that requires a plug-in) with ALL advertisements. I hate to burst your bubble here, but Flash content is not always an advertising banner.

Who's to say that someone can't invent a Firefox extension that would do just that? Also, who would be telling you that you CAN'T do that? Adobe? I don't think so. They would have no control on how a particular plug-in is controlled within a browser (the browser manufacturer does that), only on how the SWF is created.

Nice comment, wrong examples.
  • Reply 23 of 25
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wish that browsers would give the user more control over the plug-ins - not just enable or disable. Some behavior like showing a gray box (or alt content image) for Flash until you roll over which would display a dialog box asking to show Flash content or not, on a case by case basis. That way you could easily ignore ads and be only one click away from enjoying Flash applications of merit. At least then, the honorable Flash developers wouldn't have to take the bad rap for the 'misuse' of Flash.

Safari:

http://fsbsoftware.com/SafariBlock.html

Firefox:

http://flashblock.mozdev.org/
  • Reply 24 of 25
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Thanks for the links. I wish it worked a little more intuitively. I would just like to just choose play or not play. I can't seem to understand logic of the the block filter theory.

m
  • Reply 25 of 25
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Thanks for the links. I wish it worked a little more intuitively. I would just like to just choose play or not play. I can't seem to understand logic of the the block filter theory.

They don't work exactly the same, but they both have a preference panel and when you control-click on the Flash frame, you get a context menu(s). FlashBlock (Firefox), if I remember right, blocks everything and then you can add sites to a whitelist to allow Flash from that site. SafariBlock allows everything and then you can add sites to a blacklist to not allow Flash from that site. Personally, I prefer the block everything and then I choose to allow approach, but the software is free, so I guess I can't be too picky.