OS 9.2 / OS 10.4 connection problem

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have a problem my connection between two computers - a Mac OS 9.2 and a Mac OS 10.4.

I am connected via ethernet and all of my TCP/IP connections are fine. My OS 10 hard drives are successfully mounted on my OS 9 desktop after log-in.

The problem comes when trying to copy bigger files from the OS 9 hard drives to the OS 10 hard drives. It starts to copy but then disconnects all of the sudden. It states:

"Owner's Power Mac G5 (IP address) via TCP/IP"

The file server's connection has unexpectedly closed down.

The file will actually show up on the OS 10 hard drive but the file size is never more than about 15 mb (where the actual size is a lot bigger).

I don't think there is a problem with my sharing information for all of my hard drives because they are open for everyone to read and write.

Thanks for any ideas anyone may have.

Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    There was a known issue where a security update in 10.4.9 broke AFP file sharing compatibility with OS 8 and 9.

It might have been fixed in 10.4.10, but I can't say it's something I've tested.

Apple has given a workaround for the problem which involves tuning the TCPQuantum variable. See here for more details: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305420
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jeff gjeff g Posts: 2member
    I got it working. I appreciate the help.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    I don't know what benefit Apple saw by doing this. On the one hand, OS 9.2 is dead and buried for most...but still some people also use Windows 2000, which is also a 7-year-old OS.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    karl kuehnkarl kuehn Posts: 756member
    The change looks like they are tightening up the amount of time that it will wait, so this probably speeds up AFP some. The fact that it does not work is probably a combination of Apple not testing MacOS 9 anymore, and finally letting engineering make some changes they have been prohibited from doing for a while.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yama View Post

There was a known issue where a security update in 10.4.9 broke AFP file sharing compatibility with OS 8 and 9.

It might have been fixed in 10.4.10, but I can't say it's something I've tested.

Apple has given a workaround for the problem which involves tuning the TCPQuantum variable. See here for more details: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305420

It's still there in 10.4.10!

I just purchased a new Xserver and encountered this exact problem.

I called Apple and they said there was no known fix. Then the guy said to replace the AppleServer file in CoreServices with an older version from 10.3.

I did that and now I can't get my Xserver to come back up.

I guess I will be reinstalling the server software and following the directions I found here.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Replacing components of your OS with older versions is not likely to ever work. I would be really surprised if that is what Apple support said. But... if you look at that article you will see the fix. There really is not anything more to it than that.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Karl Kuehn View Post

Replacing components of your OS with older versions is not likely to ever work. I would be really surprised if that is what Apple support said. But... if you look at that article you will see the fix. There really is not anything more to it than that.

It worked just like above.