Apple points the way for cheaper memory

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Want cheaper memory for your Mac? Lots of people talk about how expensive Apple's memory is, but Apple even shows you were you can get cheaper memory:

http://hotdeals.apple.com/ramjet/index.php

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    jgbxjgbx Posts: 33member
    I've got a question about this. I contacted Apple when I purchased my Dual Processor 2.5 G5 a while back asking whether or not I had to use RAM optimized for Macs. They said that just as long as it was PC3200 DDR400, it would work. I have since put in 6 gigs of RAM and although it seems to work ok, I can't help but wonder if puttingin RAM "optimized" for my machine would be a better route to choose. I'm using Corsair dual channel memory. Should I move over to the optimized memory or stay with what I've got?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jgbx View Post

I've got a question about this. I contacted Apple when I purchased my Dual Processor 2.5 G5 a while back asking whether or not I had to use RAM optimized for Macs. They said that just as long as it was PC3200 DDR400, it would work. I have since put in 6 gigs of RAM and although it seems to work ok, I can't help but wonder if puttingin RAM "optimized" for my machine would be a better route to choose. I'm using Corsair dual channel memory. Should I move over to the optimized memory or stay with what I've got?

What exactly does this process entail and what effect would one expect from the "optimized ram"?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

What exactly does this process entail and what effect would one expect from the "optimized ram"?

the ram timing speeds?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jgbxjgbx Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Royboy View Post

I can only assume it would speed up the machine. I do alot of photoshop work and applying filters is a pretty heavy job on files that exceed 3 figures in size. I can't help but wonder if I'm doing damage to my system either. is it okay to use Dual Channel memory with my current configuration?