Windows/Mac Printer networking help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do I properly setup a network printer for Mac? (Trying to use printer attached to Windows computer) The process I just went through left me with a printer spewing out code and other jargon. It printed about 20 pages of random characters and numbers (tested a text edit document). When I tried printing a record off of the internet, paper just started feeding through the printer. Is this a driver issue? My printer is an Epson Stylus CX6000, and I can't find that printer model under the selected lists on the Mac (I just picked generic.) To clarify, I'm following these steps:

->Sys Pref->Print & Fax->+(add printer)->More Printers->Network Neighborhood->Home->Den (name of computer with printer)

At this step, it asks for a name and password, and I have no idea what name I'm supposed to enter. I just typed my name and went on my way

->Printer3 (name of printer)

What am I doing wrong? I tried downloading drivers from Epson, but I got nowhere. Please help!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Any help? Please...?
  • Reply 2 of 19
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Yes, it would help to install the drivers. If you know your model info, download the drivers from the manufacturers website.

This appears to be the place you are looking for: Driver for CX6000

If you have the drivers installed properly and know the IP address of the printer, you should only have to enter the IP address and the computer should match the driver with the machine it sees at the IP. (NOTE: doing this from memory, but that should work)
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Maybe I should have read closer... you have a printer connected to your Windows PC? How is it connected? USB?

If so, I think Windows has a printer sharing feature that would have to be enabled. Then, in essence, the Windows machine acts as a print server (which only works when the WinPC is on and awake).

If it is a true network printer, it should be able to connect into your network via ethernet, thereby taking its own IP, for which you can see the info in the post above...
  • Reply 4 of 19
    bluesblues Posts: 40member
    I've been lucky not to have a Windows around for many years now. Still, I remember, in Windows you have to turn on UNIX printing services (or something like that).
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Have you tried just connecting it to your Mac to see how it works?
  • Reply 6 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jroller View Post

Maybe I should have read closer... you have a printer connected to your Windows PC? How is it connected? USB?

If so, I think Windows has a printer sharing feature that would have to be enabled. Then, in essence, the Windows machine acts as a print server (which only works when the WinPC is on and awake).

If it is a true network printer, it should be able to connect into your network via ethernet, thereby taking its own IP, for which you can see the info in the post above...

Yeah, it's connected through USB

Gees, this is driving me nuts. I have printer sharing enabled on both computers, yes. When I go to the "more printers" option, I can navigate to the printer (have it named EpsonDen) and select it. I just can't figure out what to do from there.

Again, I click more printers->navigate to "Den" (name of windows pc with printer)

at this stage it asks "Connect to Den as..." What do I do here?

I normally just type in my name or something along those lines and leave the password blank. Once I do this I progress to the next screen where I select a printer (shows EpsonDen). I select that one and then I have to select what model. Stylus CX6000 is not listed, and I can't find the driver. I downloaded the driver from the link you gave me (had tried that previously), and installed it. Once it's installed, though, I didn't know where to go. The model didn't show up in the list, and I don't know where the installation installed the driver to on my hard drive. If I select the generic driver/model from the previous list, my printer starts printing code when i try printing a "TextEdit" document. This is really frustrating. Sorry if I'm not being clear...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Blues View Post

I've been lucky not to have a Windows around for many years now. Still, I remember, in Windows you have to turn on UNIX printing services (or something like that).

Where exactly would this be? Do you recall?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jroller View Post

Have you tried just connecting it to your Mac to see how it works?

I haven't, no. You think that would help?
  • Reply 7 of 19
    bluesblues Posts: 40member
    Add-Remove Programs > Windows Components ... I think ... Google or Windows Help may help you.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    I haven't, no. You think that would help?[/QUOTE]

Well, if you hook it up to your Mac and it works, we know the problem isn't there. IF you have the same results, we know the problem IS there. See what happens and let us know.
  • Reply 9 of 19
    Yeah, I went ahead and hooked it up to the mac. Worked like a charm. It automatically detected everything (driver, model, etc.). I'm still not having any luck with the networking though. I feel like this should be relatively simple (as I have done it before with my old/ancient mac) and the frustration is almost unbearable... okay maybe slight sarcasm. I appreciate all the help, by the way.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    Quite a few days have gone by so perhaps you've found your answer. But, just in case... My problem was solved by troubleshooting almost as dumb-simple as Is it on? Is the cord plugged in? etc. Maybe I'm the dumbest ever, but my main problem was not activating the Guest account which is mentioned, I think, in only one of dozens of pages I read from Netgear, Microsoft, Apple, and user communities. And even when I read it, I didn't get a good sense of what happens in what sequence.

I'll share what I learned and then, perhaps, you guys can help me with a minor matter at the end:

A helpful article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301397

PRELIM: I have a LaserJet hooked up to a Win XP Pro machine. My MacBook OS X 10.4.8 surfs the net wirelessly through a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router (WPN824) which installed like a dream come true for someone who really knew absolutely nothing about networking. Also, we had already determined that the MacBook could print to the LaserJet via the USB port.

But here's what I learned:

As Administrator, go into Computer Management > Users and activate the Guest account. I didn't need to create a new user with a password.

Make sure the printer is shared and has a "SHARE NAME" too.

As the cited article indicates, there are small variations depending on the Mac version, but on mine, then:

applications > utilities > printer setup > add printer > OPTION KEY + more printers button > first popup menu: advanced > device popup menu: windows printer via samba

> name field: smb://Guest@WORKGROUP/COMPUTER/SHARENAME FOR PRINTER

e.g., mine reads: smb://Guest@MSHOME/OFFICE/WIRELESS

If you have to edit that, you can do so through SYSTEM PREFERENCES, but be sure to click that little lock when you need to cement a change.

Being an old Windows hand, I powered down both machines just to be sure. It worked!!!!! If you are successfully accessing the internet thru the router, I think all the other jazz about pinging and IP addresses is probably a blind alley. I installed Print Services for Unix (Windows Component in Add/Remove Programs of Control Panel) as some recommend. It might have worked if I'd had the Guest account activated and the addressing right. Right now, I think it doesn't do anything, but I'm not going to mess with it either.

So..... now I hope someone can give me a little advice on the Mac: In order to access shared folders on the XP machine, I have to do a lot of clicking:

get a Finder window, click on network, click on the network name, click on the computer name, click OKAY to authentication, and then click on the shared folder to actually get to the files. All along the road, I tried to make a desktop alias or copy a volume to reduce the number of clicks SOMEWHAT. Even when I could copy something, I then didn't have the privileges to paste it to the desktop. Any suggestions about streamlining this just a tad?

Hoping I'm not awfully redundant....

Thanks,

Jeanne
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeanne Rescigno View Post

Quite a few days have gone by so perhaps you've found your answer. But, just in case... My problem was solved by troubleshooting almost as dumb-simple as Is it on? Is the cord plugged in? etc. Maybe I'm the dumbest ever, but my main problem was not activating the Guest account which is mentioned, I think, in only one of dozens of pages I read from Netgear, Microsoft, Apple, and user communities. And even when I read it, I didn't get a good sense of what happens in what sequence.

I'll share what I learned and then, perhaps, you guys can help me with a minor matter at the end:

A helpful article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301397

PRELIM: I have a LaserJet hooked up to a Win XP Pro machine. My MacBook OS X 10.4.8 surfs the net wirelessly through a Netgear RangeMax Wireless Router (WPN824) which installed like a dream come true for someone who really knew absolutely nothing about networking. Also, we had already determined that the MacBook could print to the LaserJet via the USB port.

But here's what I learned:

As Administrator, go into Computer Management > Users and activate the Guest account. I didn't need to create a new user with a password.

Make sure the printer is shared and has a "SHARE NAME" too.

As the cited article indicates, there are small variations depending on the Mac version, but on mine, then:

applications > utilities > printer setup > add printer > OPTION KEY + more printers button > first popup menu: advanced > device popup menu: windows printer via samba

> name field: smb://Guest@WORKGROUP/COMPUTER/SHARENAME FOR PRINTER

e.g., mine reads: smb://Guest@MSHOME/OFFICE/WIRELESS

If you have to edit that, you can do so through SYSTEM PREFERENCES, but be sure to click that little lock when you need to cement a change.

Being an old Windows hand, I powered down both machines just to be sure. It worked!!!!! If you are successfully accessing the internet thru the router, I think all the other jazz about pinging and IP addresses is probably a blind alley. I installed Print Services for Unix (Windows Component in Add/Remove Programs of Control Panel) as some recommend. It might have worked if I'd had the Guest account activated and the addressing right. Right now, I think it doesn't do anything, but I'm not going to mess with it either.

So..... now I hope someone can give me a little advice on the Mac: In order to access shared folders on the XP machine, I have to do a lot of clicking:

get a Finder window, click on network, click on the network name, click on the computer name, click OKAY to authentication, and then click on the shared folder to actually get to the files. All along the road, I tried to make a desktop alias or copy a volume to reduce the number of clicks SOMEWHAT. Even when I could copy something, I then didn't have the privileges to paste it to the desktop. Any suggestions about streamlining this just a tad?

Hoping I'm not awfully redundant....

Thanks,

Jeanne

Thanks I appreciate the help. No, I haven't found a solution, and I didn't have much success with your walkthrough. It was spot on in regard to walking me through everything step-by-step, but that doesn't seem to be my problem. I've more or less given up on this issue because there doesn't seem to be a solution...

In regard to your problem, could you be more specific? I've successfully networked with my Windows XP PC, so I may be able to help at least slightly. If you don't mind, start a new thread with your issue. That will keep from cluttering this thread and causing confusion as well. Just respond with a link to your new thread. Thanks!
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Wish I could be more helpful. If it's printing gibberish, you are so near and yet so far.

I notice that "Generic" in that drop-down box actually is "GENERIC POSTSCRIPT" when I go into System Prefs. That's a surprise as generic has meant text on Windows in my experience.

Perhaps that Epson chokes on postscript? I have scores of Epson drivers on this Mac, and I would definitely try a few others that sound close.

Also, based on what you described earlier, you appeared not to have held down that OPTION key and tried Samba. Maybe you have now. But I assume that it's more than a location? Perhaps it's invoking a protocol and makes a difference in interpreting what the printer gets? Please forgive me for what is very probably redundant. (And I'm in way way way over my head.)

As for my other question, I've lost interest. I was just trying to reduce the number of clicks and it grows less onerous each time. (Automator is fun, tho ;-) !)

Jeanne
  • Reply 13 of 19
    I have *never* installed a driver on a Mac, but... When you're in printer setup in System Preferences, and you go to change the printer model, there's an "OTHER" choice. Does it install from there? Do you think that's worth a shot?

Jeanne
  • Reply 14 of 19
    Haha, don't fret. I appreciate all your help. Have no fear of redundancy . I'm a little confused what you're talking about in regard to the option click on Samba. If you're referring to what I think you're referring, it does nothing. Are you working in OS Tiger?

Also, I've tried so many different options that I have confused myself. I'm not having the exact same issue as I was having before. I'm now having trouble even getting my networked (or lack there of) printer to do anything. I try a test print and nothing will happen. A day later (or perhaps a couple hours) when I restart my PC (not Mac) it'll start printing blank pages. It's ridiculous.

In regard to installing under "other," I don't know where the driver/Epson installation file is installed to on my hard drive. I download the driver from the website and have no idea where it is sent off to. I'm fairly new to the mac scene, and I'm not exactly familiar with where the drivers and system files are stored. If you could help me there, perhaps that would do the trick? By the way, I have tried models that are similar to my printer, and I have not gotten any promising results. Thanks again for your help!
  • Reply 15 of 19
    >>If you're referring to what I think you're referring, it does nothing. Are you working in OS Tiger? <<

Yes. 10.4.8. Samba was definitely available with the OPTION button and not available without it.

I'm new to Mac myself but I've been around a lot.

>>A day later (or perhaps a couple hours) when I restart my PC (not Mac) it'll start printing blank pages. It's ridiculous. <<

My working assumption would be that the networking is working and there is a driver problem. There could be something going on on the Windows machine, of course. But I'd start with drivers.

>>In regard to installing under "other," I don't know where the driver/Epson installation file is installed to on my hard drive. I download the driver from the website and have no idea where it is sent off to. <<

Forget about installing from the ADD PRINTER sequence. If it's possible, it's not going to work given what you've said.

This of course, is very general guidance. I'm going to guess that the driver is not installed. I'd guess that you've just saved an installation program to whatever location your browser downloads to by default. If you're not sure where that is, your browser has a menu choice where this folder is identified. In Safari, it's SAFARI > PREFERENCES and it's on the first panel; in Firefox, it's FIREFOX > PREFERENCES and also on the first panel. In that same place, you may also have an option to download automatically or have the browser give you a dialog box and ask you where you want to save the download. For now, I'd suggest that you have the browser ask you so you see the exact name of the installation file and you know for sure where it goes.

If you have to go in there, you might want to just change the default download location to your desktop. I like that because recent downloads are always visible and then I can move or trash them as I need. If you don't find the downloaded file, re-download making note of where it goes.

When you have the downloaded file, double-click and you should start an installer. Or you may get something to read and something additional to click on. When you click on a true installation program, it should tell you that it's installing and show you its progress.

Now when you think you have installed a driver, check your printer setup and see if you can assign the right driver to it. See if you get any improvement.

Is this a pain or what? Still hoping I'm not talking down to you. But it sounds like you haven't done a lot of downloading or, anyway, not a lot of downloading executable files (programs). If I'm right, the driver problem is not Mac-specific, just downloading-specific.

Jeanne
  • Reply 16 of 19
    Whoa whoa, slow down. Double-click? What is that?!

Haha, okay. You totally misunderstood what I was saying. I definitely know how to find a downloaded file. I've been working with computers since I was like three. I'm insulted . I'm saying that when I run the installer, it automatically "installs the driver." I was wondering if the actual driver file is downloaded to a default system folder that I could navigate to in order to try the "Other" printer option. I also assumed that if the driver was correctly installed, it would have been listed in the driver's drop down list. Do you understand what I'm saying?
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Wow, I tried posting a reply a while ago and it didn't take. So maybe there's another like this floating around, but I can't find it.

Epson's site is inconsistent. Some drivers say intel and some do not. Another page suggests that intel-compat driver is not yet available. So make sure you've got the right one. Let's hope this is not current:

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/s...&noteoid=67872

If you installed a driver, check under MACINTOSH HARD DRIVE > APPLICATIONS. I tried an Epson and it's not in the printer list and it's greyed out when I navigate to it but I *can* navigate to it. Perhaps I cannot install if the machine isn't hooked up. Or maybe I didn't snag an intel-compat. driver. (Thought I did.)

Gibberish with a postscript driver could mean progress. Or, maybe not.

Wish I understood that gimp driver better. Windows has a generic text driver and that always works with anything in my experience.

Remaining curious about what you learn... But I could understand if you just walk the thing over to the printer and plug in the USB cable. Life is short.

Jeanne
  • Reply 18 of 19
    But the Mac runs the Epson just fine via USB cable? If so, the driver's guilt doesn't entirely make sense either. And the changes on Windows re-start are still troubling.

Is the directly-attached Epson using the right driver? You have two printers set up in System Preferences? One Epson directly attached and another Epson of the same model using a wireless connection? I don't know if it's absolutely essential but that was my assumption, and two printers for what is "really" the same printer works here on my system. (Probably talking down to you again for which I'll apologize in advance.)

If neither is using the right driver, maybe you want to try installing the right driver while the Epson is actually hooked up to the USB port? Then install or re-install the second printer?

Good grief,

Jeanne
  • Reply 19 of 19
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jeanne Rescigno View Post

But the Mac runs the Epson just fine via USB cable? If so, the driver's guilt doesn't entirely make sense either. And the changes on Windows re-start are still troubling.

Is the directly-attached Epson using the right driver? You have two printers set up in System Preferences? One Epson directly attached and another Epson of the same model using a wireless connection? I don't know if it's absolutely essential but that was my assumption, and two printers for what is "really" the same printer works here on my system. (Probably talking down to you again for which I'll apologize in advance.)

If neither is using the right driver, maybe you want to try installing the right driver while the Epson is actually hooked up to the USB port? Then install or re-install the second printer?

Good grief,

Jeanne

Yeah, I'm puzzled too. It's nearing that time when this will be of no use to me anyway. I leave for school in about a month, and I'm taking a printer with me. I just didn't want to open my new printer and pack everything back up when I leave.

To clarify, I don't have two printers listed. I just plugged in the printer through USB to see if it was a driver issue (which I'm sure it isn't, like you said). Everything worked perfectly when the printer's directly plugged in. I deleted the printer as soon as I disconnected it.

I agree with you in regards to EPSON and their lack of communicating effectively about drivers for Intel machines. I've read both that there are and aren't drivers for my model on their website at different places. *Insert big company insult here*

This is just frustrating because I successfully networked a printer on a mac before I knew hardly anything about networking a couple years ago. This is way way more difficult than it should be.