Avid XDV for Mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Avid Xpress DV on a Mac is shipping next week - anyone know features or how it compares to Final Cut Pro?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    It blows Final Cut Pro away. It's Avid
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sizzle chestsizzle chest Posts: 1,133member
    It's Avid, but it's an el-cheapo version of Avid that does DV only, and it's still more expensive than FCP.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    ok ok my post was tongue in cheek. I read a comparison in DV.com and they said for certain thing the avid system is better but for the additional money...it's a close call.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I think the comparison you read was comparing xpress dv 2 w/ fcp 1.2.5 Things have changed a bit since then.

go to avid.com
  • Reply 5 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by giant:

<strong>I think the comparison you read was comparing xpress dv 2 w/ fcp 1.2.5 Things have changed a bit since then.

go to avid.com</strong><hr></blockquote>

No I'm %100 sure it was FCP3 against a comparable avid program that was $1700. Couldn't find the web link(if it exists because this was in a Mag)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    macgalmacgal Posts: 1member
    [quote]Originally posted by hmurchison:

<strong>

No I'm %100 sure it was FCP3 against a comparable avid program that was $1700. Couldn't find the web link(if it exists because this was in a Mag)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Nope, the comparison made was FCP 3.0 ($1000) vs. Avid's $10,000. version. There were also comparisons made from imovie to Avid's low end $500 version - not a fair fight, but Avid wanted to compare because they are running scared.

Avid has nothing on FCP 3, especially the cost. Avid is mostly scared, and I quote "We can't compete with a company that is willing to give their software and hardware away." Hmm. I predict that Avid will have to cut prices in half, or go down with their sinking ship.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I have all the recent reviews between the two products in front of me. The only head-to-head reviews that have appeared have focused on FCP 3 versus XDV 3, and XDV has either won or tied every one. The systems that are compared have ONLY been FCP 3 for $999 and XDV 3 for a suggested price of $1699 ( My reseller says everyone sells it for $1499 or less). This is the price delta ($500), and the decision seems to rest on whether you think it's worth the extra for an Avid. I hear Avid is better, but some people think it's much better and others see only smaller differences - guess it just depends on what you are doing. I personally am waiting for the Mac version - due out next week - which I hear is significantly better (and rumors say this one is more than worth the price difference). We'll see.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    I work at an Avid and Apple training facility and have used both Media Composer, Final Cut Pro, and Xpress DV to varying degrees, and have come to this conclusion: what do you need it to do? Outside of the ability to take your XDV project to an Avid Symphony (An online machine), I have yet to come across ANY reason to pay $500-700 more for, at best, a comparable product.

And it's not as easy of a transistion from Media Composer to XDV as Avid would like to make you think. There is a learning curve, albeit a small one.

Bottomline: Check out both. Until Avid brings the price down, I can only recommend FCP for anyone that doesn't need to online on a Symphony.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by Unfiltered:

<strong>I work at an Avid and Apple training facility and have used both Media Composer, Final Cut Pro, and Xpress DV to varying degrees, and have come to this conclusion: what do you need it to do? Outside of the ability to take your XDV project to an Avid Symphony (An online machine), I have yet to come across ANY reason to pay $500-700 more for, at best, a comparable product.

And it's not as easy of a transistion from Media Composer to XDV as Avid would like to make you think. There is a learning curve, albeit a small one.

Bottomline: Check out both. Until Avid brings the price down, I can only recommend FCP for anyone that doesn't need to online on a Symphony.</strong><hr></blockquote>