Is AppleWorks A Good Alternative To MS Office?

farfar
Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Is it oder is it not? I have nothing seen of AppleWorks so far

but can I do the same things as with MS Office?

From the Apple.com-site I have the impression that AW is for

making "nice stuff" such as invitations, calenders, etc.

The most time I work with Excel-sheets and sometimes I'm

writing letters in Word. So AW must be "Excel-save" :-)

Would be nice if you could tell me if it's good for me or not.

Thanks

Far

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    ApplWorks is good, and will probably get much better once Apple gets off its high horse and realizes that they are a quarter of the way there porting it to Mac OS X, it is fine enough for typing and spread sheets.

The interface has less stuff. None of the useless things nobody needs
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    AppleWorks is pretty good for the price. It is pretty easy to use. For me the really nice thing is the intuitive way you can add a small spreadsheet to a word processing document. However, it is lacking in a lot of features of Word and Excel. Don't expect to find a TDIST function in the spreadsheet or stylesheets in the wordprocessor. It will open Word and Excel documents and they look okay if they aren't to complicated. It can also save as Word or Excel.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    No.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    danmacmandanmacman Posts: 773member
    I use AW mainly for image editing/background image creation. Other than that, I use Office. That being said, I can't wait for a new version to be written and released specifically for OS X, hopefully then I can drop office.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    It's not too bad, but I use Office on a regular basis now instead of AppleWorks.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    imacfpimacfp Posts: 750member
    I think it really depends on what how much you'll use it. If you're a heavy WP, spreadsheet, or presentation user Office would be better, but if not, save your money and use AppleWorks.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    You'd have to take AW's spreadsheet module for a spin to decide if it was powerful enough for you. If you're writing letters in the WP then AW's word processor is more than capable of that.

The main reason I prefer it to Word is that it's much less cluttered and I don't have to wrangle with it to get it to do what I want (or to stop doing what I don't want it to do...). It's also a lot less expensive.