in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014

"Why not replace your DVD player too?"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 124
    4fx4fx Posts: 258member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

For starters, the drive alone (assuming its a laptop derived one) would take about 70% of the space of the unit. That doesn't even include all of the hardware needed to play a Blu-ray disc, nor the standard Apple TV components.

Not that I wouldn't like one if it would ever happen...
  • Reply 2 of 124
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

If you don't mind paying $599+ for it, then why not?... Wait a minute.... PS3 is only $499 and does the same thing and more, no?

I'm sure Sony would be thrill with this idea.
  • Reply 3 of 124
    formerlurkerformerlurker Posts: 2,686member

Shall we also "discuss" you getting your "ideas" from ... ahem.... "another" website?

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...766#post481766
  • Reply 4 of 124
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Hell yeah baby!

I would pay $599 for such a device. I'm not interested in gaming so this would be more attractive to me.
  • Reply 5 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Hell yeah baby!

I would pay $599 for such a device. I'm not interested in gaming so this would be more attractive to me.

Even if you are not in to games the PS3 is a better deal as it can take any HD, run linux, let you use the web with the flash plug in, play ps1, ps2, and ps3 games.
  • Reply 6 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Even if you are not in to games the PS3 is a better deal as it can take any HD, run linux, let you use the web with the flash plug in, play ps1, ps2, and ps3 games.

None of those features matter to me. Gaming maybe a little. Why would I want to run linux? If I'm happy with my mac what does linux offer? It's just another 'box' to maintain and another os to learn.

Now being able to buy high def movies off iTunes and stream them to my plasma as well as a blue ray player, I'm interested. Right now the biggest limitation in my plasma tv is the availability of high def content. This would be a nice addition to my set.
  • Reply 7 of 124
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

But why buy a big fat ugly PS3 when you could have something as sleek and understated as that?
  • Reply 8 of 124
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    The Playstation is sold at below cost. Apple's not going there no have they made any movements to align behind one HD format.

Why not just purchase the appropriate HD player regardless of platform and have HDMI passthrough.

I don't need Apple trying to provide me a shrunk down optical player...there are plenty of choices out there that I want. Give me a "hub" that handles them nicely and you have a winner.

I'm not paying $600 for ANY player at this point
  • Reply 9 of 124
    Murch,

I think this is mostly a wish list and not anything close to being released. Nevertheless, this is exactly what I want. If it had dvr capability then I'd pay $1000 for such a device. I'm surprised you don't see some appeal to this 'vaporware' as I seem to remember you mentioning in another thread how you dislike clutter in your home theatre setup. Wouldn't this be a nice way to streamline your hardware devices?
  • Reply 10 of 124
    nice! And how about the iPhone doubling as a big fancy cover-flowing remote?
  • Reply 11 of 124
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerLurker View Post

Shall we also "discuss" you getting your "ideas" from ... ahem.... "another" website?

http://forums.applenova.com/showthre...766#post481766

I haven't visited that website in about 18 months, no joke.
  • Reply 12 of 124
    To be perfectly honest the Blu-ray drive was more of an afterthought/wish. I'm aware there are several issues that in the way of this happening, the least of which isn't the fact that it's currently not economically feasible at this point (but I did say 2.0). That could very well be economically feasible by summer 2008, who knows. I'd nearly say for certain Apple wouldn't do such a thing unless they could sell it for $499 or less, so if they do go this route we'll be waiting a while.

The real point I'm trying to make here is that IMO the Apple TV needs an optical disk drive, even a standard one for starters. If Apple sold a 160GB Apple TV with a standard DVD playing slot-load optical drive in the front, I'd buy one in a heartbeat, and I'd be able to get rid of my clunky, big, bulky DVD player. They could even bring out the Blu-ray version at a point, and still sell the standard version to people for a much cheaper price. Having the Blu-ray option would be nice for some people, but probably not affordable for some too.
  • Reply 13 of 124
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Murch,

I think this is mostly a wish list and not anything close to being released. Nevertheless, this is exactly what I want. If it had dvr capability then I'd pay $1000 for such a device. I'm surprised you don't see some appeal to this 'vaporware' as I seem to remember you mentioning in another thread how you dislike clutter in your home theatre setup. Wouldn't this be a nice way to streamline your hardware devices?

Yeah I guess it would be huh? I've tried to find a integrated DVD/Receiver like those bundled with Home Theater in a Box but not many people are selling them sans speakers.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing the Apple TV grow. I know Steve Jobs has an fixation with small devices but in ways the ATV is too small. Give it some room to breath.

Make it double the size the size of today's ATV

Put a BD/HD DVD/DVDR drive inside so that those media files that can be recorded have that option.

Put Firewire and Gigabit ethernet in the unit.

Sell a matching AV Receiver with support for wireless rear surrounds.
  • Reply 14 of 124
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    An optical drive in an AppleTV would defeat its purpose completely. The whole point of the thing is to store movies on a hard drive and not have to deal with discs. Soon they'll be selling HD movies on the iTunes store, and perhaps they'll have rentals too. I'm looking forward to never using discs again.
  • Reply 15 of 124
    marzetta7marzetta7 Posts: 1,323member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BRussell View Post

An optical drive in an AppleTV would defeat its purpose completely. The whole point of the thing is to store movies on a hard drive and not have to deal with discs. Soon they'll be selling HD movies on the iTunes store, and perhaps they'll have rentals too. I'm looking forward to never using discs again.

Actually, I'm right on board with backtomac, as I would love to see such a device with DVR/BDR capability (thus necessitating the Blu-ray drive). Then that way, you have the best of all worlds, you have a dvr, a Blu-ray drive for recording, and iTunes for downloaded content, hopefully coming in full 1080P glory soon.

I think this vaporware is an excellent idea.
  • Reply 16 of 124
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

I agree completely. It's about downloading and storing on the hard drives and sharing within the Family wireless LAN. If you really want to add an optical disc.... get an external drive or a Mac with optical drive on the network which will serve the needed purpose.

All in all, All in one DVR/optical drive box will be very expensive when apple makes it.
  • Reply 17 of 124
    Quote:

I don't know about you, but I have about 100 DVD's that I plan to keep on watching. Even if I never buy another DVD ever again. An Apple TV with a DVD slot would solve all my DVD versus iTunes download problems, in a very minimal, cool way. This is a about a solution, not more clutter. It doesn't get any simpler.
  • Reply 18 of 124
    Quote:

To be perfectly honest the Blu-ray drive was more of an afterthought/wish.

You really don't understand Apple/Steves bigger picture do you?

For a start Steve doesn't do/like afterthoughts, but basically the whole point of the Apple TV is to remove the physical media from the experience Apple sells.

Apple TV is like an iPod, you can rip your own movies and play them without the hassle of disc changes (kid proof) etc. why then would you add a disc player back into the mix? would you advocate Apple make it so the 6th Gen iPod can play back CDs? Because that is just about what you are saying here and it goes against Apple long term plans.

Yeah a tiny iccle box that does EVERYTHING will get a lot of positve traffic on a tech orintated board, who wouldnt love one here? why not have it make coffee as well? thats also not where Apple is going with their strategy, but it would also be really cool.

If its a wish list then fine, but trying to make it "REAL" is just pie in the sky.
  • Reply 19 of 124
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

Apple TV is like an iPod, you can rip your own movies and play them without the hassle of disc changes

Your argumentation is greatly flawed. While it is legal in most places to rip your CD collection to put onto the iPod, it is in fact illegal in most places to rip your DVD collection.

Furthermore CD audio is uncompressed, so ripping to MP3 only loses you 1 quality iteration.

Re-ripping DVDs loses you 2 quality iterations - unless you do a straight file copy, which is definitely illegal.

Your comparision just doesn't work!

Which is why the Apple TV could very well make use of a plain DVD drive.

While it doesn't fit into Steve's plan, it would help MASSIVELY in the transision period.
  • Reply 20 of 124
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

You really don't understand Apple/Steves bigger picture do you?

Say what you want, I think this product would make logical sense, and if Apple added an iPTV service, and iTunes store hook-ups it would be come even more useful, and you could then have one device for all your needs. Macs can rip CD's, yet I don't buy any. I download from iTunes because it's easier--now do you get it?

People with this device would download and rent from iTunes because it would be easier. Yet they could still play all their existing DVD's and any of the DVD's their friend brings round. Then for TV shows, this would also be their set-top-box if Apple went there (and I think they will).

And as I said many many times before, Apple TV 3.0 will be an actual television (hopefully plasma), and it will have Apple TV 2.0 built-in. It's all about convergence, and I can see it coming from a mile away.