Amazon + TiVo = Better than AppleTV?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
TiVo seems to be making some aggressive moves in the right direction, while AppleTV dawdles on the sidelines.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070710/...aa7f.wjBUh2.cA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    I'm hoping Apple's developing a kick-ass version of the iTMS for the AppleTV -- which will then reverse sync to the linked computer.

I understand Apple's user model puts the computer as the focus of the digital universe, but as we have seen with the iPhone, they are certainly experimenting with advanced user interfaces. A mobile/AppleTV iTMS seems the logical next step.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    series3 tivo is still too expensive. AppleTV is lower cost and besides, if you're really in to tv you're gonna own a TiVo anyhow.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

TiVo seems to be making some aggressive moves in the right direction, while AppleTV dawdles on the sidelines.

Spam it's clear you don't like the AppleTV but I think you're overhyping this a tad bit. As far as I can tell I can now download Amazon VoD content directly to a Tivo which is nice. However I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to navigate my Movie/Music/Photos/Podcasts with the same efficiency. Tivo's UI is great for a DVR but not so great for multimedia IMO.

The AppleTV is an infant. It has growing to do but it's getting there.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Xool View Post

series3 tivo is still too expensive. AppleTV is lower cost and besides, if you're really in to tv you're gonna own a TiVo anyhow.

Well, you can find Series 3 boxes for $400 ($600 - $200 rebate), which puts within $100 of the appleTV. Of course, this is not counting the monthly TiVo fee.

But, I just do not understand why there are comparisons between DVRs and the appleTV. It's really just comparing apples to oranges.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Well, you can find Series 3 boxes for $400 ($600 - $200 rebate), which puts within $100 of the appleTV. Of course, this is not counting the monthly TiVo fee.

But, I just do not understand why there are comparisons between DVRs and the appleTV. It's really just comparing apples to oranges.

Where can you get a Series 3 for $400? The base price is $800. I'd gladly replace my Comcrapcast PVR and Series 2 TiVo if I could get a Series 3 for that price!

Meanwhile, I love my Apple TV. Then again I'm savvy about watching my DVDs on it and have lots of podcasts, photos and other content. DVDs look better on my AppleTV than they do on my DVD player!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:

I would guess that this sort of thing will be up next for the AppleTV. It _is_ a really great feature (and an obvious one); and rental movies are a given -- people want to own their music, but there are very few movies that I care to own.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Quote:

Where can you get a Series 3 for $400? The base price is $800. I'd gladly replace my Comcrapcast PVR and Series 2 TiVo if I could get a Series 3 for that price!

Amazon was listing them for $606 and TiVo was offering a $200 rebate. Not sure it the rebate is still available...I saw it on gizmodo last month.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Spam it's clear you don't like the AppleTV but I think you're overhyping this a tad bit. As far as I can tell I can now download Amazon VoD content directly to a Tivo which is nice. However I'm not so sure I'm going to be able to navigate my Movie/Music/Photos/Podcasts with the same efficiency. Tivo's UI is great for a DVR but not so great for multimedia IMO.

The AppleTV is an infant. It has growing to do but it's getting there.

I think both of our statements are correct.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    glurxglurx Posts: 1,031member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

Not sure it the rebate is still available...

The coupon is for purchases between May 27 and June 16.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    Oh the agony... missed out on the TiVo Series 3 deals.

Guess I'll have to wait until the next promotion. $600 is still too much.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

I think both of our statements are correct.

Quote:

Oh the agony... missed out on the TiVo Series 3 deals.

Guess I'll have to wait until the next promotion. $600 is still too much.

Too rich for my blood as well. Although I understand more now why they are so expensive considering there are no SoC systems that can do realtime HD compression using the new h.264 codec (I'm not sure if Tivo HD is using this codec or not)

I think we're a few years away from a large mainstream push for HD content (720p and 1080p. By then I expect we'll have cheaper asics that can handle the Encoding/Decoding of HD material better.

I'll be looking at an Apple TV some time next year. I'm still looking at a 5.1 speaker system and a HDMI AVR.

I'm glad though that companies like Tivo, Amazon and others are pushing forward making the market more competitive
  • Reply 12 of 12
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I have read a lot of negative reports about Cable Card and the Series 3. I wonder if the July 1 Cable Card mandate will help.