New Macbook Pro very very hot.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
For those of you with the new Santa Rosa MBPs, does yours get extremely hot? This is mine with smcFanControl (allows you to set higher fan RPMs to keep it cooler) and fans on full speed (6000 RPMs)

Eggs anyone?

Apps running: FireFox, inCrease (takes lots of cpu), Tomato.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    inCrease is your problem. If you stress the CPU like that, the result is heat. No way around it unless you shutdown Folding...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scout7id View Post

inCrease is your problem. If you stress the CPU like that, the result is heat. No way around it unless you shutdown Folding...

Yes, I realize that, but even before I installed that it still got up to 140-150 just running Firefox, iChat, and iTunes or something similar that doesn't use very much power. Is there a way to control how much of my computer an app can use. For example, only allow inCrease to use 50% or so of the CPU instead of the current 160-ish%
  • Reply 3 of 8
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Yes, I realize that, but even before I installed that it still got up to 140-150 just running Firefox, iChat, and iTunes or something similar that doesn't use very much power. Is there a way to control how much of my computer an app can use. For example, only allow inCrease to use 50% or so of the CPU instead of the current 160-ish%

140-150º is normal. If your enclosure gets that hot, then come back. Folding programs are supposed to use spare CPU, not ALL of it. Shut that program down.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

Is there a way to control how much of my computer an app can use.

Utilities>Terminal

Type: man nice
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neruda View Post

Utilities>Terminal

Type: man nice

I'm going to need a little more direction than that. It's been a while since I've played with the terminal. And the manual page gives little info on how to use it for one that doesn't speak unix.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:

I'm going to need a little more direction than that. It's been a while since I've played with the terminal. And the manual page gives little info on how to use it for one that doesn't speak unix.

Step 1: get the Process ID (PID) of the application that you want to increase/decrease CPU priority. Priority range is -20 (the highest) to 20 (the lowest. Do this by: opening activity monitor, or typing top in the terminal.

Step 2: in the Terminal run the nice command, followed by the priority number, followed by the PID.

Example: nice -20 933

I think this is the proper syntax, but I haven't niced anything in years.

Or try Process Wizard and "Renicer" for GUI versions of this. Haven't used either so I can't speak about their functionality.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    drazztikkadrazztikka Posts: 240member
    I got a program to control the fan speed:

Fan Control

Much easier than using the terminal if U don't know a lot about it like me...

Remember that the MBP is not a real laptop, apple calls them notebooks.

When I need to work on something I always sit at a desk, in a couch I get tired easily...

I only use the MBP on my lap for watching a dvd, I let the sides of the MBP rest on my legs so that the processor still gets some airflow and cool off better...

Nothing is ideal...read my sig ;-)

Have fun!
  • Reply 8 of 8
    well, I decided to just get rid of inCrease, since to keep it cool I would always have to have my fans on full blast, which is loud, and could shorten their life. I already have a fan control app though. SmcFanControl is what I use, and it works fine for me.