QuickTime player

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I had been having trouble with Quicktime, so yesterday, I upgraded to Version 7.2. WORSE problems. Now all I get is a grayed Quicktime icon with a question mark inside and this happens with everything Quicktime used to open. HELP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post

I had been having trouble with Quicktime, so yesterday, I upgraded to Version 7.2. WORSE problems. Now all I get is a grayed Quicktime icon with a question mark inside and this happens with everything Quicktime used to open. HELP.

Do you have shockwave installed?

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showthread.php?t=76605
  • Reply 2 of 9
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post

Yes, I have ShockWave installed.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Oops duplicate
  • Reply 4 of 9
    OOPS dupe
  • Reply 5 of 9
    OOPS Duplicate
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

I went to the thread in AI Genius as you suggested and tried those suggestions - No luck. However, it gave me an idea and I tried Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Opera, and Shiira.

Opera DID work - no grayed out Quicktime icon w/ question mark. The other four still had the problem. I still haven't found the answer yet.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    How the h___ did that happen - four posts when I wrote just one? How do I delete the other three?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Ok, try this. Go into quicktime-->quicktime preferences (not just preferences)--> advanced--> MIME Settings--> Miscellaneous and then uncheck flash. This might be a problem of both quicktime and shockwave trying to play the content at the same time and having a battle over it. Does this help?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Ok, try this. Go into quicktime-->quicktime preferences (not just preferences)--> advanced--> MIME Settings--> Miscellaneous and then uncheck flash. This might be a problem of both quicktime and shockwave trying to play the content at the same time and having a battle over it. Does this help?

You were right, it was a clash between QuickTime and Shockwave. I tried your solution, but it just worked on FireFox. I had to eventually delete both Flash player and ShockWave, run Repair Permissions, reboot, and download and reinstall Flash player.

EUREKA, Flash player worked in Safari, FireFox, Opera, and Shiira. Not in IE, however, but I expected that.

BTW, this problem was also posted by MacManiac in a thread in Genius. I don't know if the fix worked for him or not.

ADS