Will 10.4.x be supported by Mac Pros after Leopard?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
After Leopard comes out in October or whatever... do you think the Mac Pro models will still support 10.4.x? I like the idea of a new OS but 10.4.x seems so reliable and 10.5 looks like it is going to just bog down that hardware with way to many features. And I would love to just run 10.4.x on a new one after I get one in December. But I hope I can run 10.4.x. Probably not though just as how it has been in the past for Apple. Does anyone know of times you could run an older OS on a machine than the one it came with?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    japplejapple Posts: 91member
    As far as I remember, whenever Apple has come out with a new machine it always requires the latests and greatest OS version at the time. Therefore, any computer Apple introduces after the launch of leopard will require it to run.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    After using Leopard for a while, I agree that it has more features, but, its faster than Tiger. Finder is much quicker and app launches are much shorter.. so you shouldn't have to worry. Plus the 64-bitness will overrule any Tiger-ness you could desire
  • Reply 3 of 11
    each consecutive release of OS X has been faster than it's predecessor, despite having more features.

Nothing to worry about
  • Reply 4 of 11
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Current MacBook/MacBook Pro/Mac Pro would definitely continue to support Tiger.

Future models would require that OS X have a string representing these future models being supported in a future Tiger update to guarantee they work.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by agent_orange View Post

each consecutive release of OS X has been faster than it's predecessor, despite having more features.

Nothing to worry about

10.3 Panther was a hell of a lot slower than 10.2 Jaguar. But I agree that 10.4 Tiger is the fastest revision so far...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

10.3 Panther was a hell of a lot slower than 10.2 Jaguar. But I agree that 10.4 Tiger is the fastest revision so far...

I disagree. My recollection is that Jaguar was very sluggish and unresponsive but Panther was substantially more snappy.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    An OS bogging down a Mac Pro? You're not running Vista on it are you?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    kareliakarelia Posts: 525member
    Ever since the beginning of time, an Apple machine could never use an OS version lower than what it shipped with.

I agree that Leopard, when fully released, anyway, will be faster AND more useful than Tiger. I had the WWDC '07 release installed on my PowerBook for a while, and while it ran well (aside from the fact that I needed to install via a machine with a faster DVD drive), the crash report process kept running at 90% of my meager CPU, causing my fans to run full blast if doing any more than idling. Not to mention, FileMaker Pro 6 didn't agree with it, and I need that for work, so I had to downgrade.

...I miss Stacks!
  • Reply 9 of 11
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    The only thing I keep thinking about is that in the past Apple never released an OS except System 7 Pro. Otherwise, whenever they released Hardware they released a new version of System Software. Now days though things are different because they don't redo their entire lineup when they release an OS. Because nowdays they just release a new version of OS X and then upadte a few models here and there, and this one article I have read from Apple (artnum) says "Don't ever install an OS ealier than the OS that came with the computer." So I am figuring it may be possible...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I think apple will support 10.4.x for a while after Leopard is released.

I wont be going to Leopard at least until 10.5.1 so they can work some bugs out / update drivers etc for Leopard.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Any hardware shipping after Leopard is released will be Leopard only.