ALERT - Received 1st AT&T Billing

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Check your first iPhone related AT&T invoice. After being told there would be no activation fee when I signed up there appeared a $36 fee on my first invoice. ($39 with taxes). I called AT&T and they confirmed that no fee should have been charged and then credited my account. Perhaps an error....perhaps an attempt to squeeze additional fees out of anyone willing to pay or unobservant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomster1300 View Post

Check your first iPhone related AT&T invoice. After being told there would be no activation fee when I signed up there appeared a $36 fee on my first invoice. ($39 with taxes). I called AT&T and they confirmed that no fee should have been charged and then credited my account. Perhaps an error....perhaps an attempt to squeeze additional fees out of anyone willing to pay or unobservant.

According to the AT&T iPhone website:

Quote:

Activation Fees: $36 Activation Fee for each new line. $26 Activation Fee applies on each additional FamilyTalk line.

It seems that, if you activated a new AT&T account, the $36 is not an error.

If, in fact, you merely bought an iPhone and switched your existing AT&T line to your new phone then the $36 would appear to be an error.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    OUCH! I just got my first ATT&T bill - $130.37! WTF!

This is my first month with AT&T (Switched from T-Mobile for the iPhone). I signed up for the basic plan ($59.99). I had no rollover or roaming minutes, nor did I exceed the 200 SMS messages. Sure, I know I would get a $36 dollar setup fee, but WOW was I shocked!

I called an AT&T rep and she described all the rates, fees and prorated BS they slapped on me. damn. $130.37

Its been years since I felt the pains of setting up a new wireless plan (Been with T-Mobile for 4+ years). Now I know why I don't like the telco world!

Anyone else have a unusually high 1st bill with AT&T?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    kupan787kupan787 Posts: 586member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

This is my first month with AT&T (Switched from T-Mobile for the iPhone). I signed up for the basic plan ($59.99). I had no rollover or roaming minutes, nor did I exceed the 200 SMS messages. Sure, I know I would get a $36 dollar setup fee, but WOW was I shocked!

I called an AT&T rep and she described all the rates, fees and prorated BS they slapped on me. damn. $130.37

Its been years since I felt the pains of setting up a new wireless plan (Been with T-Mobile for 4+ years). Now I know why I don't like the telco world!

I am there with you. I have an extra $50 on my bill from the prorated 5 days (minutes and data), and my activation fee ($36). But it all makes sense and is understandable. Just a bit of sticker shock.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kupan787 View Post

I am there with you. I have an extra $50 on my bill from the prorated 5 days (minutes and data), and my activation fee ($36). But it all makes sense and is understandable. Just a bit of sticker shock.

I guess I'm lucky, my bill was only the $5 more a month from the $15 to $20 data plan.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dstranathan View Post

Yah, you have to remember that you're paying a month upfront in addition to the prorated prior month, plus activation fee.

Your usual bill on the $59.99 plan (assuming you don't use up your minutes or SMS messages) will be closer to about $80 when taxes and fees are added in.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I guess I was lucky then. AT&T had no problem at all taking away the $36 activation fee. All I said was that it was my understanding that there would be no activation fee and off it went from my bill. This was not from AT&T to AT&T....I had Verizon before.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    beleybeley Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tomster1300 View Post

I guess I was lucky then. AT&T had no problem at all taking away the $36 activation fee. All I said was that it was my understanding that there would be no activation fee and off it went from my bill. This was not from AT&T to AT&T....I had Verizon before.

We didn't have any problems... my wife and I both got an iPhone and there were no activation fees or other charges and our bill was actually less than last month's. It went from $160/month after taxes to about $140/mo after taxes for 2 iPhones (used to be one regular phone and one Treo smartphone)
  • Reply 8 of 8
    almalm Posts: 111member
    Seems like it's normal shitty AT&T practice. Some time ago I ordered online two phones with family plans (not iPhones) and first bill was completely insane. They billed both numbers as separate plans, not family. I called them and asked WTF, girl said she have no idea (of course) how that happened and fixed it.