Can't view video content

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey people,



Since downloading the Shockwave Flash player plug-in a few days ago I can't view video content. A large greyed-out Quicktime icon with a question mark inside appears where the video window used to be. I trashed the plug-in and restarted but no luck. Will reinstalling Sagari fix this or is reseting Safari my only option?

Thanks,

Steve B.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmaniac View Post


    Hey people,



    Since downloading the Shockwave Flash player plug-in a few days ago I can't view video content. A large greyed-out Quicktime icon with a question mark inside appears where the video window used to be. I trashed the plug-in and restarted but no luck. Will reinstalling Sagari fix this or is reseting Safari my only option?

    Thanks,

    Steve B.



    check your quicktime preferences for safari, and if messing with those doesn't do anything, try to see if video will play in Firefox or Camino, and if that fixes it, reset/reinstall safari, but if not... ummm... I don't know what to do then.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    check your quicktime preferences for safari, and if messing with those doesn't do anything, try to see if video will play in Firefox or Camino, and if that fixes it, reset/reinstall safari, but if not... ummm... I don't know what to do then.



    Tried Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox, Opera, and Shiira.



    Opera DID work (no grayed out Quicktime icon w/ question mark.)



    The other four still had the problem. Does this mean the problem is in the browsers?



    More suggestions?
  • Reply 3 of 20
    k_munick_munic Posts: 357member
    have you installed the perian.org plug-in?

    if so, no need to install a second flash-player-plug in ...

    that could confuse Quicktime.. .

    deinstall (=drag out of the plug in folder) perian or flash..
  • Reply 4 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k_munic View Post


    have you installed the perian.org plug-in?

    if so, no need to install a second flash-player-plug in ...

    that could confuse Quicktime.. .

    deinstall (=drag out of the plug in folder) perian or flash..



    No, no perian.org. Thanks anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    check your quicktime preferences for safari, and if messing with those doesn't do anything, try to see if video will play in Firefox or Camino, and if that fixes it, reset/reinstall safari, but if not... ummm... I don't know what to do then.



    Tried a bunch of changes to Quicktime preferences (and reinstated them when they didn't work). No luck.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    teedoff087teedoff087 Posts: 348member
    Try repairing permissions. Also, do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed (7.2)?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post


    Try repairing permissions. Also, do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed (7.2)?



    Tried "repair permissions". No luck. It was when I installed QuickTime 7.2 that the problem started. No, that's not quite true. It happened intermittently before installation of 7.2. One place it happened was at the top of the AppleInsider site - the advertisement, I mean. Strangely, it doesn't happen there NOW (probably when there's no animation), but it does at MANY other sites - usually at ad sites with animation. It's enough to drive me up a wall.



    Since there's no problem when I use the browser Opera, I feel the problem has something to do with some interaction between QuickTime and Firefox, Shiira, IE, and Safari.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Update:



    I've been deleting and restoring everything I can think of. I just deleted Flash Player and downloaded it again.

    SOME success: NO MORE problem using Firefox. Unfortunately, iE, Safari, and Shiira still have the problem.



    MacManiac, you might try deleting Flash Player and then download it again. Let us know if it helps at all.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teedoff087 View Post


    Try repairing permissions. Also, do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed (7.2)?



    Although it didn't solve the problem, Shockwave WAS mentioned several times while 'repair permissions' was running. I then deleted Shockwave and then downloaded and reinstalled it. Still no luck in IE, Safari, and Shiira. I've been playing with this problem for hours, but haven't found the answer yet.



    Now there's the QuickTime and question mark in the advert in Applesider. It must be an animated ad.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Update:



    Too stupid to stop, I've been 'plug in' away - sorry- pluggin' away at this problem all morning - albeit - trial and error. Somewhere along the line, I pushed or pulled something that caused Firefox to scr_w up. Back to square one.

    This time I deleted all of ShockWave and Flash player, ran Disk Utilities - Repair Permissions, rebooted, and downloaded Flash Player. EUREKA, Flash player worked in Safari, FireFox, Opera, and Shiira. Not in IE, however, but I expected that.



    BTW, bobmarksdale (in an Application post) pointed me in the right direction to try to eliminate the clash between Shockwave and QuickTime.



    MacManiac, if you haven't already solved the problem, try my FIX. I'm curious to know if it really is a fix or is just a fluke because of all my pushing and pulling.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    I spoke too soon. Yesterday, four of my browsers worked with QuickTime. Today, only Safari, Opera, and Shiira do. Firefox does not. I went back over what I did yesterday, but, alas, I can't get Firefox to work with QuickTime.

    bobmarksdale, your solution worked yesterday, but not today. Any new suggestions?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post


    I spoke too soon. Yesterday, four of my browsers worked with QuickTime. Today, only Safari, Opera, and Shiira do. Firefox does not. I went back over what I did yesterday, but, alas, I can't get Firefox to work with QuickTime.

    bobmarksdale, your solution worked yesterday, but not today. Any new suggestions?



    no not really. Unless you want to go to drastic measures: Search for anything that has anything to do with quicktime, shockwave, swf, or any of those browsers and delete it. Then reinstall everything again. Not the best solution, but I used up all my good ones.\ Also, you could try mashing the keyboard in frustration.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    no not really. Unless you want to go to drastic measures: Search for anything that has anything to do with quicktime, shockwave, swf, or any of those browsers and delete it. Then reinstall everything again. Not the best solution, but I used up all my good ones.\ Also, you could try mashing the keyboard in frustration.



    Already tried pounding my head on the desk, but that didn't work either.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    macmaniacmacmaniac Posts: 172member
    Hey seq, sorry i've been incommunicado(was waiting for another email notice of a response to my orig. post but none came). I wound up downloading and installing Flash Player 8 at



    <http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash>;



    and that fixed my problem with both Safari and Firefox. Don't know if that will work for you, tho.

    Good luck,

    Steve B.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macmaniac View Post


    Hey seq, sorry i've been incommunicado(was waiting for another email notice of a response to my orig. post but none came). I wound up downloading and installing Flash Player 8 at



    <http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash>;



    and that fixed my problem with both Safari and Firefox. Don't know if that will work for you, tho.

    Good luck,

    Steve B.



    How about that!!!!!!! It DID work. As you can see from my posts, I've been trying for quite a while. Some things worked, but the next day or even the next hour, the problem cropped up again. I'm assuming you are using Tiger on an Intel Mac. I'm using Panther on 5 year old G4 PowerMac tower and I may still have problems. However, this is a good start.

    Thanks
  • Reply 16 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sequitur View Post


    How about that!!!!!!! It DID work. As you can see from my posts, I've been trying for quite a while. Some things worked, but the next day or even the next hour, the problem cropped up again. I'm assuming you are using Tiger on an Intel Mac. I'm using Panther on 5 year old G4 PowerMac tower and I may still have problems. However, this is a good start.

    Thanks



    If it weren't so annoying, it would be funny. After working yesterday, Firefox had the same old problem today. The other browsers ARE working without the problem.

    I reinstalled Flash Player 9 (not 8, I have a PowerMac) a few minutes ago. Lo and behold, Firefox works OK now. I don't expect it to remain OK, so I'll keep the .dmg on the desktop and reinstall Flash Player whenever I need Firefox to work. Bummer.

    However, this fix is better than my old hit and miss - trial and error.

    I had gone online to several sites (like Macfixit) to see if there could be a final fix.

    The problem was addressed, but no one seemed to have a permanent answer.

    Thanks again to everyone who tried to help.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    OOPS, double post. I don't know how this happens.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    no not really. Unless you want to go to drastic measures: Search for anything that has anything to do with quicktime, shockwave, swf, or any of those browsers and delete it. Then reinstall everything again. Not the best solution, but I used up all my good ones.\ Also, you could try mashing the keyboard in frustration.



    You're probably as tired of this thread as I am with the problem, but I felt I owed you an update. MacManiac suggested that I reinstall Flash Player 8 (9). That fix worked briefly, but the problem reared its ugly head again and I was forced to reinstall Flash Player over and over.

    I went back over what I had done and what you told me.



    This is what you suggested:

    "Ok, try this. Go into quicktime-->quicktime preferences (not just preferences)--> advanced--> MIME Settings--> Miscellaneous and then uncheck flash. This might be a problem of both quicktime and shockwave trying to play the content at the same time and having a battle over it. Does this help?"



    In spite of the fact that I had been reinstalling Flash player over and over, in frustration, I retried your suggestion and unchecked Flash. This time it worked on all browsers except IE.

    I don't understand why it worked this time - especially since REINSTALLING Flash player was a stop gap measure. Anyway I genuflected to the Great Mac God SJ and to your wisdom and I said a short prayer (#@$%#@@$%^&) that this problem would not crop up again.

    Thanks again
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Well, I found one more solution to this, although it wouldn't explain your issue, sequitor. If you have an intel mac, shockwave won't run natively on it so open your browser in rosetta mode. (right click on icon in Apps folder, get info, check Rosetta) I recently started having this issue and was trying my own solutions to fix it, when I found this one, and it worked.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobmarksdale View Post


    Well, I found one more solution to this, although it wouldn't explain your issue, sequitor. If you have an intel mac, shockwave won't run natively on it so open your browser in rosetta mode. (right click on icon in Apps folder, get info, check Rosetta) I recently started having this issue and was trying my own solutions to fix it, when I found this one, and it worked.



    Unfortunately, I have a G4 PowerMac 800 so no Rosetta. My last post to you was about 2 weeks ago and your previous suggestion worked for about a week. Now the problem has returned. When I need Safari or Firefox, I have to reinstall Flash Player and the browsers work for a few hours or a day and then, kaput.

    The odd thing is that the problem doesn't crop up using Opera, so I'm thinking that it's a browser problem. This all started when I downloaded QuickTime player 7.2.

    Thanks for your input.
Sign In or Register to comment.