Mail -- auto-filter on send?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I've been using Apple's Mail for a year now. I had been using Mac Eudora for over a decade, but switched on the assumption that Eudora would fade away, and Mail would become ever more integrated with OS X, which does seem to be happening with notes, etc...

Sadly, there are a few Eudora features I really miss. Wondering if it's possible to hack Mail to do these?

-- When I send via Eudora, Eudora applies filters (rules) to the sent msgs, automatically sorting them to the appropriate mailbox. With Mail I haven't to sort sent msgs manually. Any way to get it to filter on send?

-- With Eudora, in a mailbox windows, selecting a msg from person XXX and pressing ?opt+click? (it's been a while) sorted all msgs to/from XXX within the mailbox. Mail's search does this as well, but is more ponderous. The opt+click was great for quick review of a thread.

(NOTE: Clicking the "To" header does not fulfill this need, as it sorts the To and From msgs by sender. I want to see the entire thread, ie: *all* msgs for which XXX is a sender or recipient.)

-- When new mail came in, Eudora displayed a summary of all msgs that just arrived, indicating where filtered ones were filed. This helped me not overlook new filtered msgs. With Mail, I have to check all my mailboxes individually (because i often leave msgs unread until I've replied to them).

Finally, on the wish-list side, re: the last item above: In Mailbox list, Mail displays the number of unread msgs per mailbox. What I really want to know if how many *new* msgs have arrived in the box since I last opened it. Would be great to have two numbers displayed, the second being the new msgs. The "unread" figure would reflect the number flagged as "unread," while the "new" figure would reflect the number that have arrived since the mailbox was last opened.

This would be ideal for ezine and listserv boxes for which I want to scan subjects of new msgs, but don't have time to read all the msgs, so leave many "unread."

Thoughts? Hacks?

btw, Is there any way to submit these ideas to Apple for dev consideration? I know Apple's formal policy is to not accept ideas, but that seems pretty lame. ie: Need to go to WWDC to suggest an idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

I've been using Apple's Mail for a year now. I had been using Mac Eudora for over a decade, but switched on the assumption that Eudora would fade away, ...

It was announced several months ago that Eudora was going opensource and that future versions of the email client would be based on Thunderbird.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by imiloa View Post

Thoughts? Hacks?

Mail calls its filters "Smart Folders." I have never used them, but I assume that they will do what you want. Read the documentation.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    imiloaimiloa Posts: 187member
    Thanks for replying.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

It was announced several months ago that Eudora was going opensource and that future versions of the email client would be based on Thunderbird.

Interesting. I bailed on Eudora entirely assuming it wouldn't keep up with the level of integration of Mail. Guessing Qualcomm finally decided to let it go.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Mail calls its filters "Smart Folders." I have never used them, but I assume that they will do what you want. Read the documentation.

I know Smart Folders. They are virtual mailboxes that display a subset of msgs based on criteria. Not really what I'm looking for. I like having independent logical mailboxes, especially for backup and restore purposes. I just want Mail to apply rules to my outbound msgs on send.

Any thoughts on submitting these ideas to Cupertino?