IF apple adds iChat in the future?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Everytime you send a message on iChat, will that be deducted from your text messages? I know it might be a silly question but I rather ask than not know. I hope they add this in an update!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    most likely
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trappa1 View Post

Everytime you send a message on iChat, will that be deducted from your text messages? I know it might be a silly question but I rather ask than not know. I hope they add this in an update!

I would doubt that iChat on the iPhone would use SMS. So, I would expect that it would be included in the current, unlimited data plan.

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 3 of 7
    trappa1trappa1 Posts: 8member
    That makes sense. I wasn't sure if it would be included in the data plan. I text a lot so I wasn't sure if the iChat would be included but iChat using SMS doesn't make sense now.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Which is why AT&T would never let it happen.

The two apps that people are aching to see on the iPhone, VOIP and true IM, are the very apps that would eliminate AT&T's revenue streams. They'll resist those as long as possible.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dotcomctodotcomcto Posts: 130member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Which is why AT&T would never let it happen.

The two apps that people are aching to see on the iPhone, VOIP and true IM, are the very apps that would eliminate AT&T's revenue streams. They'll resist those as long as possible.

I don't think you're correct on your assessment of an iPhone iChat client. For example, the Blackberry comes with a Blackberry-to-Blackberry IM client. I can also have AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc. Think about Palm and Windows Mobile devices. Do they have IM clients available? Of course they do. Have Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile banned those IM clients? Of course not. So...why would you think that we wouldn't see iChat on an iPhone?

--DotComCTO
  • Reply 6 of 7
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Aren't there already web based AIM clients? (honestly can't recall)

If so, skin one with the lickable iPhone look and call it a day?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    riptideriptide Posts: 57member
    In the meantime, how about the ability to send SMS to multiple parties at the same time? I may have used IM via a mobile phone a 1/2 dozen times at most, but I need the ability to text mutiple contacts at once AND forward/copy information contained in an SMS to others. It's ridiculous that the IPhone does not offer such a common feature, one thate EVERY other phone offers. Hopefully, it's a firmware update just around the corner.