Some Best Buy stores fitted with snazzy new Apple displays (photos)

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    gustavgustav Posts: 828member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

New store displays aren't needed. If the geniuses at Best Buy Canada would only stock a minimum of decent Mac software titles, and stop parking the stupid ladder in the Apple section, their sales would immediately quadruple.

Heh heh, I thought they only did that in the Ottawa stores.
  • Reply 22 of 52
    tummytummy Posts: 21member
    I'm sure those black carpets will get dirty fast.
  • Reply 23 of 52
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    I live many, many miles from my nearest Apple store. I have an iMac, but would like a MBP sometime between now and Christmas. I get the specs on the Apple site, but when I want to touch and feel, I'll be happy to head to Best Buy. I'm sure that there are lots of users like me. We don't even care if the 15-year-old Best Buy guy doesn't know a mac from a mic. We just love the chance to check things out that we wouldn't normally get without a two-hour drive.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    I live down on the Gulf Coast and the closest Apple Store is over 500 miles away in Atlanta. and what will probaly kill this trial at both Best Buy and Circuit City is that the stores that are getting the MAC's are in cities that have Apple Stores. Those of us that live in the boonies our only choice is the Internet. It sure would be good to be able to see my next MAC in person before I buy and get it the same day instead of having to wait 4 or 5 days for it to ship.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Is that woman having a heart attack?
  • Reply 26 of 52
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

On the other hand, if you have a Fry's Electronics, the Apple section of the store is the only slightly organized portion of the store. There is hope.

The other thing about Fry's Electronics, so I hear, is that some item already have software that a previous owner of the product loaded on. My experience with Fry's Electronics is that you can wait a long time in the customer "service" line and that if the box you purchase has an inexpensive part missing there is nothing they will do but tell you you're wrong. They won't give you the part and won't except a return (because a part is missing). Given that last time I was there, the store was a complelte mess with boxes open and items scattered, missing parts can happen in a resealed box.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    blecchblecch Posts: 34member
    Best Buy's Mac software selection seems to be limited to MS Office and a few pieces of Apple software.

Who is going to buy a Mac at Best Buy when 99% of the software they sell is Windows-only? When Mac software is limited to 10 titles or less?

The only thing I can imagine is that Best Buy will encourage people to use Boot Camp or Parallels...
  • Reply 28 of 52
    blecchblecch Posts: 34member
    Come to think of it, I wish that the Apple stores would bring back the Mac software sections that they used to have!! (Those sections now hold iPod/iPhone junk, while Mac software has been relegated to a tiny set of shelves in the back.) Apple's Company Store (at 1 Infinite Loop) has a very *good* Mac software section - why can't they do that for the rest of us?

I'd have to say that Fry's Electronics actually has a decent Mac software section, although it is still dwarfed by multiple aisles devoted to Windows software and games.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

OH DEAR...I hope Apple didnt give up control of the warrenty experiance to BB...a BB extended warenty would be HORRIBLE comapred to applecare.

Well, when I zoomed in, it was kinda blurry, but here is the screenshot:

From what I can read it says:

Full Manufacturer's Warranty Text Available on Request.

Warranty on Parts may vary.

2 Year Performance Service Plan only $299.99.

3 Year Performance Service Plan only $349.99.

Looks like best buy's crappy service will be competing with AppleCare. If would be logical about it they would go for AC, but some people might be coerced into a bad decision.

Edit: now that I look at it, the picture is much blurrier than what I could see, but you get the idea.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    tomkarltomkarl Posts: 239member
    I think the photos showing the new Apple section directly in front of the Restroom sign is telling.

They park it in the back and it'll be neglected in a matter of weeks.
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lafe View Post

Is that woman having a heart attack?

No, she's not.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    I work at a small Best Buy, and we get 3-5 customers a day looking for macs. There is no Apple store in the area. I hope we get this display and some macs in-stock.

And not everyone who works at Best Buy is an idiot. I work with some really bright guys and gals. I know that several of my co-workers hate PCs and would love the opportunity to sell macs. I'm pretty up-front with people about the pros and cons of macs and pcs. I admit I have turned away sales to people who decided to get a mac after my presentation.

The only extended warranty option that would be good is the 1 year accidental for $99. I have a tendency to be pretty rough with my stuff. The accidental service plans there have gotten me out of a few different instances where I would have been screwed.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    "I'm sure those black carpets will get dirty fast."

Actually no faster (or slower) than any other colour.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    I do remember when CompUSA put an Apple section in some of their stores. It was nice to see the extra products but no one ever truly manned that area. It seemed neglected and of course CompUSA has closed a bunch of stores.

Hopefully Best Buy will do a better job. I always see people in there looking and buying laptops so this idea might take off.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Jesus, they're still doing the pilot program? What's it been, 2 years? How does anything get done around there? Best Buy used to be my favorite store.

The last time I was at Best Buy I had to wait 10 minutes for a salesperson (typical), and then he didn't know if they had any bluetooth mice and recommended I try Fry's.

Stick to your own stores Apple, I think Best Buy hired CompUSA's ex-employees.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Jesus, they're still doing the pilot program? What's it been, 2 years? How does anything get done around there? Best Buy used to be my favorite store.

The last time I was at Best Buy I had to wait 10 minutes for a salesperson (typical), and then he didn't know if they had any bluetooth mice and recommended I try Fry's.

Stick to your own stores Apple, I think Best Buy hired CompUSA's ex-employees.

Eh, last time I went into a best buy, I asked a guy about bluetooth mice, so he went and asked someone else coming back about five minutes later with a 'sorry, no'.

Best Buy is not a good place to go if you are looking for help/support, but if you know what you want and know where it is, they're ok (unless you want something at a decent price...)
  • Reply 37 of 52
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    ^^

Moral of the story; Don't get your bluetooth mice from Best Buy.....
  • Reply 38 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Neil Anderson View Post

"I'm sure those black carpets will get dirty fast."

Actually no faster (or slower) than any other colour.

Whatever you say. Not. Pure/solid colors are a bad idea for any high traffic area.
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

^^

Moral of the story; Don't get your bluetooth mice from Best Buy.....

yeah... because they don't have any...\
  • Reply 40 of 52
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Jesus, they're still doing the pilot program? What's it been, 2 years?

This pilot program was started a little over a year ago. There was a previous pilot done in 2004 too.