BMW confirms iPhone compatibility with handsfree calling

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
BMW announced earlier this month that owners of many current BMW models will be able to enjoy hands-free integration of Apple's recently released iPhone in their vehicles without any additional purchases.

"In 2004, BMW was the first vehicle manufacturer to integrate the Apple iPod into BMW vehicles and have customers take full control of their music on the road," the German automaker said in a statement. "So it seemed only logical that BMW be among the first vehicle manufacturers to ensure that owners of the new iPhone have the same ability to enjoy their music, plus the added benefits of Bluetooth handsfree calling."

The iPhone will reportedly work as a Bluetooth-enabled cellphone on most BMW Assist-equipped models with Bluetooth handsfree-calling produced October 2004 or later (7 Series as of March 2005 production). As a compatible Bluetooth cell phone, drivers can place and answer calls and select numbers from the iPhone's address book by simply using the multi-function steering wheel or dashboard controls.

BMW said access to the iPod application of the iPhone via the in-vehicle controls and central information or radio display will be possible on models equipped with the optional iPod/USB Interface. The factory option is currently available on BMW 3 and 5 Series models including M5 (as of March 2007 production) and the BMW X5 (as of April 2007 production). The iPod/USB Interface will also be available on 6 Series models, including M6, beginning with September 2007 production.

BMW's 2007 M3 Coupe due out this fall.

BMW's iPod/USB Interface option utilizes an adapter cable to provide full integration and functionality of an iPod or the iPhone?s music player application. The cable has an iPod docking connector on one end and separate cables on the other end for connection to the in-vehicle AUX IN jack and USB connector. Full iPod menu functionality is available in the Control Display monitor or radio display on non-iDrive models, the automaker said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    joe40joe40 Posts: 3member
    <SNIP> As a compatible Bluetooth cell phone, drivers can place and answer calls and select numbers from the iPhone's address book by simply using the multi-function steering wheel or dashboard controls. <SNIP>

This same functionality is also available in the Audi A6 with Bluetooth through the MMI Interface, including Missed Calls, Contact List, Received Calls, etc. I have tested it on a 2005 and 2006 and a 2007 model. The Bluetooth setup and pairing is flawless. I tried the same cars with a LG vx8100 and the level of integration was much lower, only able make and take calls, end calls, etc. Not the same 'intelligence' with recognition of numbers dialed, missed, contacts etc.

On another note, the iPhone bluetooth seems very powerful, and able to work from at least as far as 30 feet away from the phone when used handsfree or with a JABRA Bluetooth headset.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    darkraildarkrail Posts: 21member
    I'll chime in on my 2005 Jeep:

iPhone integration is excellent. I upgraded from a Windows Mobile Phone (T-Mobile SDA) that SORT-OF worked with the Jeep. The iPhone's integration is far better. iPhone gives me the option to answer or place a call either on the headset or through the Jeep. With my awful Windows phone, I was forced into using the Jeep's system whenever I was in or near the Jeep. This was cause for much embarrassment and frustration.

The bad old days are gone; iPhone rules!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    eduardoeduardo Posts: 181member
    The facelifted E46 M3 is a classic; but the upcoming M3 will be a grower for me in terms of looks (though an Alpine White E92 does look stunning).

A point of clarification: E92 M3's are not scheduled to be unleashed in the United States until sometime early/mid-2008.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    tycoonjotycoonjo Posts: 10member
    i sold my BMW. I bought a porsche..
  • Reply 5 of 11
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tycoonjo View Post

i sold my BMW. I bought a porsche..

I hope it was a 'proper' Porsche.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Parrot has a brand new Bluetooth Hands Free car kit with any Bluetooth MP3 capable cellular phone and any MP3 Player/iPod/iPhone with a Bluetooth adapter. As long as the Bluetooth adapter supports the A2DP and AVRCP profile, the MK6100 steering wheel controller can control the song selection. When an incoming call comes in, the music is muted until the call is

ended, then it resumes, this goes for any music source that is playing, the MK6100 will mute the radio, CD, or iPod, iPhone. The display unit is OLED and is removable, the steering wheel controller can be mounted anywhere including the vehicles steering wheel. The car kit can be purchased with a Plug N' Play harness so there is NO cutting into the car's wiring harness.

Professional installation is about $100. The MK6100 and harness bundle for non-amplified cars is $235.95, the cheapest anywhere. The Parrot MK6100 was just announced at Sema 2007.

Check out www.safewireless.com. They have corporate programs for discounts with mobile installation at corporate campuses.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I have a 2006 325i touring model manufactured in July 2006. BMW website says this model is bluetooth compatible with iphone only for cars manufactured after September 2006. Does anyone have definite experience (one way or the other) with an iphone and a 2006 3 series manufactured before Sept 2006? Thanks.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarth View Post

I have a 2006 325i touring model manufactured in July 2006. BMW website says this model is bluetooth compatible with iphone only for cars manufactured after September 2006. Does anyone have definite experience (one way or the other) with an iphone and a 2006 3 series manufactured before Sept 2006? Thanks.

In case it is of use to others, I did buy the iphone and it works fine with this July 2006 BMW series III, despite what the BMW website says.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Excellent that means that A2DP and file transfer bluetooth protocols can be implemented in future iphone updates. :-) Its slow but it good to see Apple adding more functionality.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Excellent that means that A2DP and file transfer bluetooth protocols can be implemented in future iphone updates. :-) Its slow but it good to see Apple adding more functionality.

Actually, I think this functionality was there from the start. It's the same profile used for Apple's Bluetooth headset.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarth View Post

My iPhone 3GS worked with my 2006 BMW X3 (manufactured in May of 2006) for 4 months. Once I upgraded the software on my phone from 3.0 to 3.1 it no longer pairs. BMW states my phone is not APPROVED - so what BMW has told me is that BMW cars manufactured before September of 2006 won't work with the iPhone 3GS and using the phone (assuming you can get it paired) will result in voiding the warranty of the Blue Tooth and it will degrade the software in your car....sounds odd.