• Reply 41 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not true.

You think?
  • Reply 42 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

You are normally pretty jovial, what has changed such that your attitude is so different now from in the past?

I'm getting married in two weeks. Does that count?

No, really though:

Shaw Wu. He started this Ultra-Portable rumor. He talks completely out of his ass, has no sources (besides AI and MacRumors) and his claims are completely unfounded... yet people listen to him. Now this ultra-portable jargain is barreling out of control, when in reality, a 13" MBP would be nearly identical in portability as compared to the MB. Yet Wu will get credit for "predicting" this ultra-portable s**t.

That man is the spawn of satan.

Hey Moderators: can I call Shaw Wu a stupid lunatic or will I lose two more points?

-Clive
  • Reply 43 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

That's the part the "go to a gym" people don't understand. Its not the weight, its the weight + time. Its the drag on the arm hauling it around, its the freaking pain in the shoulder from the freakin' strap on the bag. And its not just the laptop people have to carry around. A 2lb laptop isn't going to help if the power supply for it is 3 pounds.

Is there a big difference between 4 lbs and 5 lbs?

For 4 hours, that's a 64000 Ns difference... that's not too bad. That's about the amount of energy it takes a 200 lb-man to accellerate to a 5 MPH jog.

Ahh, physics. It makes everything right.

-Clive
  • Reply 44 of 72
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Clive At Five View Post

Remember: "Ultra-portability" is not a definition, it's a characteristic.

-Clive

Perhaps, but my 'definition' came from PC Mag, Computer Shopper, etc. Just because you have your own preconceptions of what the term means doesn't mean that that's the commonly accepted definition.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Is there a big difference between 4 lbs and 5 lbs?

It can be a difference between about 2.5lb and about 5, and yes, this is with an optical drive. I know you have a grudge against ULV-chip based notebooks but I don't think that's rational, because most people don't really don't need the performance of a T series chip. Those that do can easily chose a different model.

Quote:

For 4 hours, that's a 64000 Ns difference... that's not too bad. That's about the amount of energy it takes a 200 lb-man to accellerate to a 5 MPH jog.

While your numbers are interesting, but I think is a distraction because fatigue is different than a short burst of power. I really suggest you take a walk for hours at a time with a notebook strapped onto your shoulder and tell us that it's not a consideration.
  • Reply 46 of 72
    Quote:

Shaw Wu. He started this Ultra-Portable rumor. He talks completely out of his ass, has no sources (besides AI and MacRumors) and his claims are completely unfounded... yet people listen to him. Now this ultra-portable jargain is barreling out of control, when in reality, a 13" MBP would be nearly identical in portability as compared to the MB. Yet Wu will get credit for "predicting" this ultra-portable s**t.

It's not just Shaw Wu.

Google keywords:

site:www.appleinsider.com ultraportable Wu

No hits.

site:www.appleinsider.com ultraportable

10 hits.

Some of these stories predate the stories I've found mentioning Wu with respect to this type of machine. The appleinsider stories that involve Wu call the machine type a sub-notebook, but the above illustrates that it's not something being perpetrated by a one man crusade.
  • Reply 47 of 72
    Quote:

It can be a difference between about 2.5lb and about 5, and yes, this is with an optical drive. I know you have a grudge against ULV-chip based notebooks but I don't think that's rational, because most people don't really don't need the performance of a T series chip. Those that do can easily chose a different model.

uhh... I have no problem with that. I have always thought an ultra-portable should be a compliment to the desktop, not a replacement. And for me, that's saying a lot. My desktop is an 800MHz G4 iMac. I can still run Garage Band, iMovie and the like, allbeit slowly. I'm just getting to the point where I'm ready to upgrade to a new computer that'll be sufficient for the next 6 years.

I like power, but I realize when I have enough. I don't think my iMac will make it through Leopard alive... so it's time to upgrade.

Quote:

While your numbers are interesting, but I think is a distraction because fatigue is different than a short burst of power. I really suggest you take a walk for hours at a time with a notebook strapped onto your shoulder and tell us that it's not a consideration.

In college, I walked anywhere between a quarter to a half a mile to any of my buildings on campus with a 7.5-lb laptop plus two or so large physics books... round trip. This would occur a few times daily for four years. I would occasionally experience back and shoulder discomfort, but nothing I couldn't bear.

People with lightweight laptops are spoiled.

-Clive
  • Reply 48 of 72
    Quote:

In college, I walked anywhere between a quarter to a half a mile to any of my buildings on campus with a 7.5-lb laptop plus two or so large physics books... round trip. This would occur a few times daily for four years. I would occasionally experience back and shoulder discomfort, but nothing I couldn't bear.

OK then.

I can pick up and carry a 140lb bar of aluminum over short distances if I have to, I actually do it a few times a year, so it's a little irritating to have people suggest a gym membership. I think it is a different type of physiological stress. Just because a person can swim doesn't mean they can take Chinese water torture, and just because a person can't take the cold drip doesn't mean they can't swim.

Still, when I went to NAB this year, or SEMA a couple years ago, I left my notebook in the hotel room. It would have been nice to have it, but I didn't absolutely have to have it with me and I just didn't want the aching shoulder for countless miles of walking, from a hotel halfway down the Vegas strip and walking around much of the show floor every day, almost non-stop. With what stuff I did bring, my arms and shoulders were the sorest part, despite the fact that the walking effort was probably a three orders of magnitude more.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Raven56 View Post

I ordered a new baseline 15" macbook pro from a Mac1 store on the 13th of June and am still waiting for it to arrive. This is my first Mac and to be honest Apple is proving to be completely incompetent, 6 WEEKS is fare too long to wait for a laptop.

At least now i have some idea that I'm not the only one going through this pain.

And what problems have they had with the LED screens?

Hmmm... that is a really long time, have you called them about it? And as far as I know, there have been no major problems with the screen yet and I think that the recent firmware update may have fixed a minor issue. Mine works great. Love it.
  • Reply 50 of 72
    Quote:

OK then.

I can pick up and carry a 140lb bar of aluminum over short distances if I have to, I actually do it a few times a year

I chew through steel frames of rusting cars, digest it, and defecate rolls of nickels.

-Clive
  • Reply 51 of 72
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:

Hey, sure, when you're in college, that's easy. But we're not that young anymore!

Quote:

I chew through steel frames of rusting cars, digest it, and defecate rolls of nickels.

Does admitting to counterfitting US currency give cause for getting more demerits?
  • Reply 52 of 72
    Quote:

I wasn't kidding, OK? It's not easy but I can do what I said I can do.
  • Reply 53 of 72
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Both of you guys need exercise!
  • Reply 54 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Louzer View Post

Does admitting to counterfitting US currency give cause for getting more demerits?

Canadian nickels, actually. They should give me a bonus for slowly contributing to canadian inflation.

Quote:

I wasn't kidding, OK? It's not easy but I can do what I said I can do.

I know, I know.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Both of you guys need exercise!

Touche. I better go bulk up so I can carry my laptop up a mountain.

-Clive
  • Reply 55 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ryanh View Post

Gross misuse of the term "begs the question."

Well, don't just castigate the ignorant, Ryan, illuminate them as well: "raises the question" is the correct usage here.

And the "OMG, Macs are 3 days late, part shortages, we're all going to die" part nobody criticized...
  • Reply 56 of 72
    I ordered a 2.4 GHz 15-inch with 2GB RAM and 120GB HD with a glossy screen on the 17th, and it's supposed to ship Jul 26 - Jul 31 and deliver by Jul 30 - Aug 6. Quite slow if you ask me - but I must admit, this is my first Mac purchase and I'm rather giddy to get my hands on it. It's also my first online purchase of a computer. I used my ADC discount as a college student and got the machine for $2,135.93.

I'm just dying to get my hands on it. Anyone know if there's a way you can get it expedited to be shipped? I know you can pay the extra for shipping to get it shipped faster.

Edit: Just noticed how long some others have been waiting - I guess I'm just too impatient.
  • Reply 57 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abandonedhero View Post

I ordered a 2.4 GHz 15-inch with 2GB RAM and 120GB HD with a glossy screen on the 17th, and it's supposed to ship Jul 26 - Jul 31 and deliver by Jul 30 - Aug 6. Quite slow if you ask me - but I must admit, this is my first Mac purchase and I'm rather giddy to get my hands on it. It's also my first online purchase of a computer. I used my ADC discount as a college student and got the machine for $2,135.93.

I'm just dying to get my hands on it. Anyone know if there's a way you can get it expedited to be shipped? I know you can pay the extra for shipping to get it shipped faster.

Edit: Just noticed how long some others have been waiting - I guess I'm just too impatient.

Yeah, it hits most orders for that notebook. Paying more for shipping doesn't get it shipped sooner, it will just move faster once it ships.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Yeah, it hits most orders for that notebook. Paying more for shipping doesn't get it shipped sooner, it will just move faster once it ships.

And only once it gets to the States. It usually come through Anchorage and I have found that OVernight Shipping did absolutely nothing for my iPhone.
  • Reply 59 of 72
    glossgloss Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by abandonedhero View Post

Hope you enjoy it.
  • Reply 60 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

And only once it gets to the States. It usually come through Anchorage and I have found that OVernight Shipping did absolutely nothing for my iPhone.

Awesome. I'm glad I didn't opt for the faster shipping then. The machine was expensive enough as it is, but I guess that's the price you pay for a better machine.