iPhone has a built-in spyware module?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Today an underground hacker team "web-Hack" from Russia released a whitepaper with results of iPhone firmware research. They reverse- engineered some functions and published this information.

Results of a research shocked community. Russian hackers found a built-in function which sends all data from an iPhone to a specified web-server. Contacts from a phonebook, SMS, recent calls, history of Safari browser - all your personal information can be stolen.

At present there is no additional information about this issue. Researches assume that this function either a debug feature or a built-in backdoor module for some governmental structures. Anyways this function can be used by a trojan-developers or activated by the AT&T.

We will monitor all information about this accident and will publish it immediately.

dont shoot the messenger okay?

here is the link http://vsiphone.blogspot.com/2007/07...re-module.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Every phone produced in the post-9/11 era has this feature. It's something buried in legislation, but trust me, it exists. The Department of Defense/National Security Agency in Ft Meade, Maryland, is the one responsible for obtaining your data and then distributing it to necessary law enforcement (FBI) or intelligence agencies (CIA, CTC, and the intel division of the FBI).
  • Reply 2 of 8
    elronelron Posts: 126member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

Every phone produced in the post-9/11 era has this feature. It's something buried in legislation, but trust me, it exists. The Department of Defense/National Security Agency in Ft Meade, Maryland, is the one responsible for obtaining your data and then distributing it to necessary law enforcement (FBI) or intelligence agencies (CIA, CTC, and the intel division of the FBI).

No offense, but that sounds a bit tinfoily to me. The EFF has this to say:

Quote:

What's AT&T's Role in the Program?

EFF alleges that under the NSA domestic spying program, major telecommunications companies-and AT&T specifically-gave the NSA direct access to their vast databases of communications records, including information about whom their customers have phoned or emailed with in the past. EFF alleges that AT&T, in addition to allowing the NSA direct access to the phone and Internet communications passing over its network, and gave the government unfettered access to its over 300 terabyte "Daytona" database of caller information -- one of the largest databases in the world.

This is disgusting, and it's reason enough to avoid AT&T (although, let's be honest, do you really think Verizon isn't doing this too?), but the data they handed over wasn't sent by the phone itself. They didn't hand over browser history and address books. It was call records and email traffic. Again, this is bad enough, but it doesn't point to a module installed in all cell phones.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron View Post

No offense, but that sounds a bit tinfoily to me.

Whether true or not, the suspician or belief is probably not on par with the tinfoil brigade.

After all, the government does have locked closets and/or rooms in every switching center with the sole purpose of snooping on every type of digital communication.

My thought is that these russians stumbled upon an unfinished API for syncing iPhones.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elron View Post

No offense, but that sounds a bit tinfoily to me.

Believe what you will. (edit: removed content)

Here's another thing the government can do: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6140191.html

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZDNet

The FBI appears to have begun using a novel form of electronic surveillance in criminal investigations: remotely activating a mobile phone's microphone and using it to eavesdrop on nearby conversations.

Click the link for the full story.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    dudditsduddits Posts: 260member
    Quote:

Believe what you will. (edit: removed content).

Last edited by southerndoc : Today at 07:51 PM. Reason: removed content that could be incriminating

If you are removing content that could be incriminating, wouldn't it be counterproductive to state that as your reason?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Duddits View Post

If you are removing content that could be incriminating, wouldn't it be counterproductive to state that as your reason?

It is a standard feature of all phones from Alpha Centauri also...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    bacillusbacillus Posts: 313member
    Quote:

That sounds just like a line for this movie.

[CENTER] [/CENTER]

"Meade has 18 underground acres of computers. They scan every phonecall for target words like "bomb" or "President". We red-flag phone numbers or voice prints...whatever we wanted. When the computers found something, it was bounced to comparative analysis."
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Bacillus (I assume you're a microbiologist?), Enemy of the State carries things a little far. Eavesdropping can and does occur (the NSA director accidentally acknowledged the Echelon project in a press conference). However, there is no live tracking via satellite.