A story of Apple, my iPhone, and perhaps the best customer support I've ever recieved

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
I posted a comment a while ago about how unbelievably angry I was at Apple for not having a repair option for the screen, seeing as I had just dropped it on gravel and there was a rather large crack in the center. After spending half an hour with some extremely helpful support people, though, we were able to strike up a deal - $275 (including tax) to repair the screen, 7-10 business days.

48 hours after sending the phone out, I get the package in the mail. Inside the box are an apology note of sorts (discussing Apple's quest for a perfect customer experience), a service detail sheet discussing what the repair folks did, a random letter to California consumers, and a brand new fucking phone. Still wrapped in plastic and everything.

Oh, and I didn't pay a dime.

The service sheet claimed that the phone's screen shouldn't crack when dropped, and therefore Apple was going to foot the entire bill. Sure enough, I checked my bank account and the 275 had been added back into my account.

Honestly, I can't believe that customer service like this actually exists. Bravo, Apple. I may just be 18 years old but you've earned a customer for life.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jrollerjroller Posts: 80member
    Wow... great story. Thanks for sharing. And welcome to the Mac.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    pretty gnarly.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Hmmmmm........ looks like Apple is ready to spend some of those billions they've been saving up to make sure the iPhone takes over the world. What better way than to make the ownership experience an ongoing and surprising delight?

That way, every iPhone owner gets deputized as an Apple evangelist.

Money well spent, I would say.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Nice move, Apple!... and congratulations on the iPhone, tdnc.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Hmmmmm........ looks like Apple is ready to spend some of those billions they've been saving up to make sure the iPhone takes over the world. What better way than to make the ownership experience an ongoing and surprising delight?

That way, every iPhone owner gets deputized as an Apple evangelist.

Money well spent, I would say.

Sort of how like Microsoft has just spent a little over a billion dollars fixing broken XBox 360's?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    I was with you until you said you were 18. That makes you a teenager with a $600 phone.

You probably broke it while jiving. That's what you kids do these days isn't it? Jiving.

j/k that's great that Apple fixed the screen for free plus they have confirmed that the screens were built so that they shouldn't break after a fall.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Replaced my iPhone, so I agree Apple is working to ensure a positive experience. No complaints from me!!
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    That is a cool story. On the flip side, isn't it interesting how we all go bonkers for customer service that actually works as it should?. Them up and replacing your phone was nice, but there is a case that it should not have broken from being dropped...at least not the screen. A major scratch would be one thing...breaking is another.

As I posted in another thread though, I have noticed Apple's service improving as well. I mentioned in that thread how after an atrocious Apple store KOP experience, I filled out the online survey and trashed them. I was called back by a very competent, professional manager who seemed genuinely interested in my concerns...even though I was "less than diplomatic" on the comment section (I believe I described one employee as looking like he had a snuffleupogus on his head).

I have another appointment for my MBP tomorrow. The latch has broken a second time (the button is partly stuck in) and the battery is down to 1:45 at full charge...it seems to drop off severely after it gets down to 40% or so. As it's only 9 months old, I am going to push for it to be replaced. I'll see how it goes....
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Good Story!

Recently my iPhone wasn't playing any youtube videos, so I brought it to the Apple store, and they exchanged it for a brand new one, no questions asked. Glad to see service is going the right way!!