Did Apple not see this? How can this be sold?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I was looking at overstock.com and found this image

Can Apple not get them for 'trademark dress' ?

Can Apple not get them for 'clickwheel patent' ?

The product is made by Fuji Labs -- To me looks far to close to the iPod nano

nano- shown below

From what I read on the web a patent is issued for 20 years. So one would think Apple still has the patent for the ClickWheel? yes? no? Could they lose this patent if they don't defend the idea? **Also I heard this but can't find it online-- That if your patent is basicially just an improvment over an existing patent i.e. The ClickWheel is really just an improvement over the TrackPad that you only hold that kind of a patent for 3 years? Is this true?

The only reason I ask is..... in 2004 Apple came out with the iPod mini.. The iPod mini was the first iPod with the ClickWheel--- Well 2007 - 2004 *IS* three years. So if Apple only had the patent for 3 years it could very well be over?

I just see how all of these kind of MP3 players are popping up. Can Apple not stop them?

Yet another one---

Edit: Also wanted to point out the 'wallpaper' used on the iPod nano 'rip-off' -and how close it looks likt the picture from the iPhone

I understand that it might just be a 'free' non copy right image **BUT** Should Apple when usings Pics for it's products just not go out and hire a professional photographer file to have the image as coppy right and defend it? -I mean when looking at the iPod nano rip-off see the fish picture makes me think of the iPhone !!!!

This brings up the question of: How long can Apple hold 65ish percent of the MP3 market if they are losing sales to 'iPod nano wannabees' not made by Apple !!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    I've even seen these things "in the wild." I believe that it was this one (Slim 1GB A/V MP3/ MP4 Media Player):

I'm not sure that there is much that Apple can do. I think these companies hide in China (or other such locations) where patents, trademarks, and copyrights from the west are not really upheld. This is similar to how you can go to Hong Kong and come back with dozens of DVDs for less than a hundred bucks.

I must say, if Apple did make this one:

I might change my mind about the Nano. I notice that this player is only 1GB... that's just wrong (not that much is right about the situation).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    flinch13flinch13 Posts: 228member
    I'm sure Apple legal would like to do something about all of these guys, but let's face it... imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Any idiot can tell that these are not genuine Apple products. These guys are not hurting Apple's business significantly; in fact, they only serve to spread the coveted Appledesign image. These are small flies to squash, and everyone knows it. I doubt they can even make a profit on products like this.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

Any idiot can tell that these are not genuine Apple products.

Really? If they really look like they do in those PR photos, I'd think most people would not know nor care whether I'm fiddling with a fake or a real iPod.
    Quote:

These guys are not hurting Apple's business significantly; in fact, they only serve to spread the coveted Appledesign image. These are small flies to squash, and everyone knows it. I doubt they can even make a profit on products like this.

Now that I can agree with.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Everytime you mess with an official Apple product shot or make an imitation iPod, God kills a puppy. Will somebody please think of the puppies !!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flinch13 View Post

I'm sure Apple legal would like to do something about all of these guys, but let's face it... imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Any idiot can tell that these are not genuine Apple products. These guys are not hurting Apple's business significantly; in fact, they only serve to spread the coveted Appledesign image. These are small flies to squash, and everyone knows it. I doubt they can even make a profit on products like this.

If you've been to Asia you would not really be so nonchalant. A fake iPod at every corner. In the next few months I am going to have tons of people come into the shop and say "...Oh, but I already got this special iPhone...". Umm... yeah buddy, whatever. ha ha .... *sigh*