Some questions about OS X Server

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
What's the difference between the 10 user license and the unlimited-user license?

If I have a studio full of say 12 Mac Pros, can't they all connect to the server? After all, if it was just a 13th Mac Pro, the other 12 would be able to connect to it over the network and access all the files, right?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    A 10-user license is a limit on simultaneous logons, not a limit on the number of user accounts. If the 11th user wants to logon, he must wait until one of the 10 logs off. OTOH, an unlimited license imposes no limit on the number of simultaneous users.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Ahh!

Cheers for that!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    One thing is that the Web Server is not limited, so the 10 user limit only applies to File Sharing...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Correct. That is the *only* service that is limited to 10 simultaneous users. Everything else is unlimited.*

*Caveat: In 10.4 Server, this is true. I haven't heard what the situation will be with 10.5's Chat Server... I kind of expect that's one place where they may have a limit, but that's pure speculation on my part, with no corroborating evidence.